Terrorism and the Economy: How the War on…

Terrorism and the Economy: How the War on Terror is Bankrupting the World (2009)

by Loretta Napoleoni

30None364,326 (2.77)2

English (10)  Italian (1)  All languages (11)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Definitely a new argument in why the US economy has been struggling, the Global War on Terror. Although I have liked some of Napoleoni's past works this volume smacks of a theory pushing the limits of reality. While she makes some excellent points as a student of political economy and international affairs I would have liked to see where some of her material was coming from to do further research and to try and understand more thoroughly her argument. Overall, an interesting yet disappointingly argumentative rather than persuasive book. ( )
  cutiger80 | Feb 3, 2012 |
Strangely disjointed and disappointing. I also would have liked to see footnotes (I hate books that just have the cited works at the end) as I agree with other comments that this book lacked a lot of evidence to go with the emotional appeal. Certain things bugged me about this book, such as the author referring to a "radical mosque" (what does that even mean?) or implying that average Americans somehow had a choice in the matter of getting into wars and a financial meltdown, but we decided to drink Bud Light and watch reruns of The Simpsons all day instead. ( )
  lemontwist | Dec 13, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I feel that this book is right on target with it criticisms of the US response to 9/11. A great deal of the staggering debt that the country now is burdened by is a result of this response. One of Osama Bin Laden’s objectives in his terror campaign was to bankrupt the United States and the Bush administration did their best to help him meet that objective. This book does as good of a job of tracing the link between the finances of the war on terror and the global economic crisis as any information source that I have seen. ( )
  jsewvello | May 28, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Napoleoni puts forth an interesting idea that all the current financial problems, the credit crunch, collapse of the sub-prime lending market, etc. is caused by the GWOT. She didn't convince me but she makes some good arguments. High finance is like a foreign language to me, all but indecipherable. Someone who understands it better might be able to poke a lot of holes in her arguments. The book got off to a poor start and I considered giving up on it but since it's an ER book I pressed on and it did get better. The biggest problem I had throughout the book was the lack of footnotes, in their place were bibliographic notes which consisted of a short list of sources broken down by chapter, however not every chapter was included . I found this problematic when I wanted to see where some of her information came from. I would guardedly recommend this to anyone interested in terrorism but definitely not as a starting point. If you don't have a strong interest in the subject matter I would pass on this one. ( )
  sgtbigg | Jul 25, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Very interesting and tempting arguments though smacks of conspiracy theories without sufficient supporting evidence. ( )
  nonRIVAL | Jul 3, 2010 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Terrorism and the Economy by Loretta Napoleoni was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,472,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible