The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet: A…

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet: A Novel (original 2010; edition 2011)

by David Mitchell

4,1582511,205 (4.07)3 / 633
Member:oapostrophe
Title:The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet: A Novel
Authors:David Mitchell
Info:Random House Trade Paperbacks (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 512 pages
Tags:Japan, Dutch, 1800's, trade, corruption

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet by David Mitchell (2010)

Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh (booklove2)
    booklove2: Very similar in writing style and general events.
    An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears (bellisc)
    bellisc: also set at a crossroads of science and faith, though wholly in Europe, similar in writing style and themes
    Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (pgmcc)
    pgmcc: Really enjoyable set of related stories with the author's well deomonstrated skill
    Embassytown by China Miéville (ansate)
    Max Havelaar: Or the Coffee Auctions of the Dutch Trading Company by Multatuli (pgraat)
    pgraat: Both books have a main character who fights against injustice, and are set in the Dutch colonial past.
    The Coral Thief by Rebecca Stott (clif_hiker)
    Shogun: A Novel of Japan by James Clavell (CGlanovsky, PghDragonMan)
    CGlanovsky: A westerner in Japan.
    PghDragonMan: The best, and worst, of feudal Japan through the eyes of a foreigner.
    Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay (rstaedter)
    rstaedter: Though not a story of eastern and western cultures, nonetheless a dense description of a foreign culture in the past.
    Mason & Dixon by Thomas Pynchon (zottel)
    zottel: Very similar feeling, perfect story-telling in well-researched historical fiction.
    A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth L. Ozeki (sturlington)
    Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (psybre)
    Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel (kidzdoc)
    kidzdoc: This is another excellent British historical novel.

English (246)  Dutch (8)  German (2)  French (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (258)
enjoyed a lot - less convoluted as a plot than his earlier works, but very atmospheric and funny. ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
I loved this book! Shogun-era Japan is such a rich setting (and something I knew nothing about) and the characters and events are so smartly written. I particularly appreciated how many characters you get to know intimately. The trading port lackeys each tell their story and it really added to the overall tale. I would never have guessed the book would be as suspenseful as it was but it was a page-turner. It is easily my favorite book I've read this year and probably last, I cannot recommend it more highly. ( )
  ltfitch1 | Jun 5, 2016 |
Review: The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet by David Mitchell.

There is something about David Mitchell’s writing style that irritates me. I felt this way when I read Cloud Atlas too. This book was the slowest story I’ve read in a long time. It was hard to grasp every scene, event, and the dialogue didn’t have any creative flow to it. I know what the story’s plot was but it was hard to keep tract of the characters because he used them interchangeably to soon so the reader couldn’t keep track between dialogues from Japanese speaking Dutch language or Pidgin English. His style of writing even made settings confusing, either a character was on land or on a ship one minute and somewhere else the next.

The story could have been better. It’s a flexible story of a Dutch trading post outside the area of Nagasaki in the 1800’s. The character seem real and Mitchell did his research well introducing legitimate descriptions of those that were likely there and some truth to the conflicts that arose as the men tried to personally profit, explore Japan or fall in love. There were some references to the Japanese efforts to remove Christianity and the brutal oppression of Christians by the Shogunate that was far worse than and longer than anywhere else in the world. I did like that he gave a voice to the slaves that were brutally exploited by trading company’s and his development of Dr. Marinus character to introduce modern medicine in Japan in somewhat graphic stomach churning details. I also thought creating a gothic melodrama about evil Japanese monks at the monastery and nunnery that kept nuns as brood mares and sold the babies was unrealistic.

The story starts off in the setting of a painful birth followed by the sentencing of Dejima’s previous chief and showed the historic character’s naïve struggle with the culture of corruption on Dejima and the infatuation with a disfigured midwife. The main character is the young Jacob De Zoet who is a bookkeeper who travels with the Dutch East Indies Company to Japan in the hopes of earning enough money to win the hand of Anna, the woman he loves. As Jacob smuggles a family book of psalms into Japan at great risk to himself he also, after some time, falls in love and proposes to a beautiful, intelligent Japanese woman, Orito, a midwife studying European medicine, whose face is severely burned.

As the story goes on the action shifts away from Dejima and re-centers on a cult of evil dogma on a remote mountain, which really destroyed the first half of the story. The book displays many themes and a lot of action. It includes graphic medical operations, beheadings, tortures, carefully planned schemes, and narrow escapes from disaster, poisoning, and much more. The ending was a non-sequitur following with the coming of the British to Nagasaki harbor, leading to a confusing climax and it seems like Mitchell was in a hurry to finish the book….
1 vote Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet – by David Mitchell
5 stars

By description, Thousand Autumns seems like standard historical fiction of a somewhat obscure period of early nineteenth century Japanese/ Dutch history. A young Dutch clerk ships out to make his fortune in the employ of the Dutch East India Company. He encounters all the dangers of travel, the moral corruption of his superiors and the inscrutable intrigue of the orient. He falls tragically in love with a high born Japanese lady. The story takes place several centuries after James Clavell’s Shogun, but doesn’t the plot sound familiar?

Don’t be tempted to think so. David Mitchell has written something that is completely unique. The historical detail is very rich, and the action has great drama and suspense, but it is the character development that makes the book. Much of this story is told through the internal thoughts of multiple individuals. It is as if we can look at the same events through different sets of eyes. And at no time does any one individual have all the pieces of the puzzle. There are so many themes embedded in this book: honesty in the face of corruption, misuses of power, the value of education in the face of superstition. I finished it yesterday and I’ve reread parts of the book today. I’m still fitting together pieces of the puzzle.

I know this book has a 5 star rating from other reviewers and I may get to that point as I continue to think about it. I’m prevented from giving the final star by the very thing that makes this book different from the rest. I find Mitchell’s writing style to be difficult to digest. He writes in broken sentences, using italics to designate the thoughts of a speaker. The sentences of spoken conversations are interrupted continually with the broken sentences of the character’s unspoken thoughts. I found myself reading each conversation 2 or 3 times. Once, to put together the sentences of the spoken words and once to complete the sentences of the internal words and once as the author wrote it. This made a long book take much longer to read.
As much as this annoyed me, the story was well worth the effort. Rereading gave me the opportunity to admire Mitchell’s splendid use of language.

As to that splendid use of language, I’ve talked myself up to a 5 star rating. At the beginning of Chapter 39, there is a page and a half riff on seagulls that is nothing less than inspired poetry.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
This is one of those books that you can’t read fast enough, and at the same time you wish would last for months. Mitchell makes 1799 Japan come alive with his soulful writing, the characters are fully formed and believable. Shifting POV usually annoys me to no end, but in this case it makes the plot unpredictable and exciting, it is a puzzle to be solved. I was trying to explain the plot to a friend… usually there is the protagonist and you can draw a straight line of how the story follows him/her over a period of time. I would draw this plot as a series of overlapping triangles. I know - that probably makes no sense. If you like historical fiction, just read it. ( )
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
There are no easy answers or facile connections in “The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet.” In fact, it’s not an easy book, period. Its pacing can be challenging, and its idiosyncrasies are many. But it offers innumerable rewards for the patient reader and confirms Mitchell as one of the more fascinating and fearless­writers alive.
added by LiteraryFiction | edithttp://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/04/books/review/Eggers-t.html?ref=bookreviews, Dave Eggers (Jul 1, 2010)

Another Booker Prize nomination is likely to greet this ambitious and fascinating fifth novel—a full-dress historical, and then some—from the prodigally gifted British author
added by sturlington | editKirkus Reviews (May 1, 2010)

For his many and enthusiastic admirers — critics, prize juries, readers — the fecundity of Mitchell’s imagination marks him as one of the most exciting literary writers of our age. Indeed, in 2007, he was the lone novelist on Time’ s annual list of the world’s 100 most influential people. Through five novels, most impressively with his 2004 novel, Cloud Atlas, Mitchell has demonstrated flat-out ambition with respect to testing — sometimes past their breaking points — the conventions of storytelling structure, perspective, voice, language and range. The result, according to Mitchell’s rare detractors, is an oeuvre marked by imaginative wizardry and stylistic showmanship put on offer for their own sake. For most everyone else, however, Mitchell’s writing is notable because its wizardry and showmanship are in the service of compulsively readable stories and, at its best moments, are his means of revealing, in strange places and stranger still ways, nothing less than the universals of human experience.

Though direct in its storytelling, Jacob de Zoet marks a return to full amplitude. That means occasionally over-long scenes and one or two rambling monologues. But it also guarantees fiction of exceptional intelligence, richness and vitality.

With “The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet,” David Mitchell has traded in the experimental, puzzlelike pyrotechnics of “Ghostwritten” and “Number9Dream” for a fairly straight-ahead story line and a historical setting.

He’s meticulously reconstructed the lost world of Edo-era Japan, and in doing so he’s created his most conventional but most emotionally engaging novel yet: it’s as if an acrobatic but show-offy performance artist, adept at mimicry, ventriloquism and cerebral literary gymnastics, had decided to do an old-fashioned play and, in the process, proved his chops as an actor.

David Mitchellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aris, JonathanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilcox, PaulaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For K, H & N with love
'Miss Kawasemi?' Orito kneels on a stale and sticky futon. 'Can you hear me?'
‘If only,’ Shiroyama dreams, ‘human beings were not masks behind masks behind masks. If only this world was a clean board of lines and intersections. If only time was a sequence of considered moves and not a chaos of slippages and blunders.”
Creation never ceased on the sixth evening, it occurs to the young man. Creation unfolds around us, despite us and through us at the speed of days and nights. And we call it love.
“The soul is a verb." He impales a lit candle on a spike. "Not a noun.”
For white men, to live is to own, or to try to own more, or to die trying to own more. Their appetites are astonishing! They own wardrobes, slaves, carriages, houses, warehouses, and ships. They own ports, cities, plantations, valleys, mountains, chains of islands. They own this world, its jungles, its skies, and its seas. Yet they complain that Dejima is a prison. They complain they are not free.
Killing depends on circumstances, as you'd expect, whether it's a cold, planned murder, or a hot death in a fight, or inspired by honor or a more shameful motive. However many times you kill, though, it's the first that matters. It's a man's first blood that banishes him from the world of the ordinary.

The year is 1799, the place Dejima in Nagasaki Harbor, the “high-walled, fan-shaped artificial island” that is the Japanese Empire’s single port and sole window onto the world, designed to keep the West at bay; the farthest outpost of the war-ravaged Dutch East Indies Company; and a de facto prison for the dozen foreigners permitted to live and work there. To this place of devious merchants, deceitful interpreters, costly courtesans, earthquakes, and typhoons comes Jacob de Zoet, a devout and resourceful young clerk who has five years in the East to earn a fortune of sufficient size to win the hand of his wealthy fiancée back in Holland.

But Jacob’s original intentions are eclipsed after a chance encounter with Orito Aibagawa, the disfigured daughter of a samurai doctor and midwife to the city’s powerful magistrate. The borders between propriety, profit, and pleasure blur until Jacob finds his vision clouded, one rash promise made and then fatefully broken. The consequences will extend beyond Jacob’s worst imaginings. As one cynical colleague asks, “Who ain’t a gambler in the glorious Orient, with his very life?”

A magnificent mix of luminous writing, prodigious research, and heedless imagination, The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet is the most impressive achievement of its eminent author.
Sorry, we don't trade
With foreigners. Oh, you're Dutch?
Of course, that's different!
(passion4reading)

1799, Dejima in Nagasaki Harbor. Jacob de Zoet, a devout and resourceful young clerk, has a chance encounter with Orito Aibagawa, the disfigured daughter of a samurai doctor and midwife to the city's powerful magistrate. The borders between propriety, profit, and pleasure blur until Jacob finds his vision clouded, one rash promise made and then fatefully broken--the consequences of which will extend beyond Jacob's worst imaginings.… (more)

925 wanted5 pay10 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet by David Mitchell was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,874,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible