Chosen by a Horse: How a Broken Horse Fixed…

Chosen by a Horse: How a Broken Horse Fixed a Broken Heart

by Susan Richards

Meh. This book felt disjointed and lacked a really strong narrative core. At first I was willing to overlook the questionable writing, until I read that blurb about the author on the back and found that she teaches English and writing at a college level. In that case, the writing was sub-par at best. I had a variety of issues with it:

1) She assumes that any reader who picks this up and doesn't know anything about horses needs to be told in parentheses that a horse's hocks are their elbows (not strictly true, either). And yet, she doesn't feel the need to explain what an "Arabian face" is in her Morgan? Extremely inconsistent. The horse details that she felt the need to expound on were rudimentary to people familiar with horses and unnecessary to comprehension for those who aren't.

2) The "main" horse of the book actually has a fairly boring story. And the author doesn't make it clear that this *particular* horse heavily influenced the great changes in her life - instead, it is a series of horses. The story narrative would have been stronger if this was a memoir about the *horses* who healed her broken heart - that would have been a story worth reading.
1 vote LSmith862 | May 31, 2017 |
Touching and poignant. ( )
  clamato | May 22, 2017 |
Can a neglected ex-racehorse and a woman with an unhappy history of abuse and alcoholism heal each other? A touching memoir.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Apr 22, 2017 |
Chosen by a Horse is a memoir by Susan Richards of the time she rescued a former racehorse, Lay Me Down. It is a sad and sweet tale. Both Lay Me Down and Susan come from similar backgrounds of abuse. Through caring for Lay Me Down, Susan re-learns that life can be full of joy and love and is worth the risk of being hurt. It begs the question of who rescues who when we take an animal into our lives. While I am a general animal lover, I don't know much about horse care or horse personalities so really enjoyed those parts. Susan also writes about her own efforts as a 40-something woman attempting to date again with rather mixed results. Keep a box of tissues handy, this one is a tear jerker. ( )
  Narilka | Sep 21, 2016 |
Lovely, introspective book about a woman and her horse. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
This book is dedicated with love to Allie Dorion, and to my niece and nephews. Marguerite, Nate, and Evan Richards, because they fill my heart with joy.
It was a cold March day and the horse paddock at the SPCA was full of mud.
Whatever sanity I had was thanks to writers, to books that either helped me forget my troubles or helped me understand them. I was one of those people who thought the answer to everything was in a book. To me, the phone book was a book. I could hardly believe we got it free.

The horse Susan Richards chose for rescue wouldn’t be corralled into her waiting trailer. Instead Lay Me Down, a former racehorse with a foal close on her heels, walked right up that ramp and into Susan’s life. This gentle creature—malnourished, plagued by pneumonia and an eye infection—had endured a rough road, but somehow her heart was still open and generous. It seemed fated that she would come into Susan’s paddock and teach her how to embrace the joys of life despite the dangers of living.

An elegant and often heartbreaking tale filled with animal characters as complicated and lively as their human counterparts, this is an inspiring story of courage and hope and the ways in which all love—even an animal’s—has the power to heal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:37 -0400)

"A new chapter opens for Susan Richards when she agrees to care for an abused horse rescued by the local SPCA." "Her life has been difficult: her mother died when she was five and she was sent to live with unsympathetic and abusive relatives; she married unhappily and was divorced; she'd been an alcoholic. Now, at the age of forty-three, she lives with three horses who keep her company: diva-like Georgia, a Morgan mare, and Tempo and Hotshot, both quarter horse geldings." "At the SPCA Susan finds twenty sick, exhausted mares, together with their foals, milling about the muddy paddock. The horse she selected by name is impossible to find among the panicked herd. So, when an emaciated bay mare stumbles up the ramp to the trailer, followed by her foal, Susan agrees to take her. The mare's name is Lay Me Down, and with her arrival, Susan finds that she has acquired more than a horse: she has found a friend whose unstinting love makes it possible for Susan, in turn, to heal from the wounds that she has suffered, and respond to love."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,665,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible