The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman

The Imperfectionists (2010)

by Tom Rachman

Ladies and Gentlemen by Adam Ross (marie-dune)
    Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris (GCPLreader)
    Office Politics by Wilfrid Sheed (giovannigf)
    giovannigf: Office Politics reads like a direct predecessor to The Imperfectionists: a fairly realistic (and biting) satire of the machinations behind a literary magazine, described from the point of view of each of the main characters.
    The Song is You by Arthur Phillips (kristenn)
    London Transports by Maeve Binchy (bookworm12)
    In Other Rooms, Other Wonders by Daniyal Mueenuddin (IamAleem)
    Love and Shame and Love by Peter Orner (starboard)
    Kissing in Manhattan by David Schickler (boo-radley)
    Amsterdam by Ian McEwan (BookshelfMonstrosity)

English (157)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (164)
Each chapter concerns a person (an editor, a copywriter, a reader etc) connected with an English language newspaper based in Rome. Some characters overlap a little, but each chapter is more or less self-contained. In addition the last few pages of each chapter tell the story of the paper from its founding through to its decline and eventual folding.

it was very well-written and each character came to life briefly, before we moved on to the next. I am not a big fan of short stories and these were not quite linked enough for me to get past that. In addition there was no real joy or positivity in the book. Each character suffered or was sad or disappointed or betrayed. I thought I would like this more than I did. ( )
  pgchuis | Sep 10, 2014 |
Surprisingly good read ... but not what I expected. The structure of the book is different, following each character individually and gradually linking them together. The plot line is rather depressing. This is not an uplifting read. Still, it is worth reading. ( )
  rondoctor | Sep 9, 2014 |
Have you ever been enjoying a book so much that you feel like racing through it just so you can find out what happened to the characters at the end? Conversely, have you ever wanted to linger for an indeterminate amount of time over a narrative because you just didn't want their story to come to its inevitable conclusion? Well, I experienced both of these emotions simultaneously while reading Tom Rachman's The Imperfectionists. Each chapter revolved around a different individual with ties to the newspaper and each chapter heading was a different headline from the paper. At the conclusion of each chapter, a snippet of history regarding the evolution of the paper was inserted which coincided with the information the reader had just learned about an individual from the present day. It's a mystery to me how he wove everything together so effortlessly but I fully appreciated that the pieces of the story were all interconnected to create a cohesive tale about a newspaper with more drama behind the scenes than on its pages. A brilliant read which I highly encourage you to pick up and give a shot. ( )
  AliceaP | Aug 27, 2014 |
Marvelous and horribly depressing. Perfectly captures a spectrum of human foibles and uncomfortable situations, while spinning out an iconic version of the death of newsprint. ( )
  KRoan | Jul 25, 2014 |
Both a series of connected short stories and a novel, it reminded me of Kissing in Manhattan but was more successful. The stories were fleshed out,the people real (though some really unlikeable) and I really became invested in the paper and the people. Extremely enjoyable.
  amyem58 | Jul 16, 2014 |
The novel is alternately hilarious and heart-wrenching, and it's assembled like a Rubik's Cube. I almost feel sorry for Rachman, because a debut of this order sets the bar so high.

Enjoy "The Imperfectionists" for the gem that it is.

"The Imperfectionists" is about what happens when professionals realize that their craft no longer has meaning in the world's eyes (think of all those hardworking monk-scribes idled by Gutenberg) and that the only people who really understand them are on the same foundering ship, and that, come to think of it, they really loved that damn ship for all it made their lives hell.

He's both testing and tender towards his people - their loneliness and purposelessness, moments of cleaving awareness ("one day, his son will die"), capabilities for love and commitment, devotion to kids, awareness of the fading future of a faded friend. It's convincing and compassionate; amusing and affectionate. In fact, it's a bit of a jewel.

Anyone who has ever spent time in newspaperland will recognise The Imperfectionists' high degree of authenticity. So – you hope – will quite a few people beyond it. The citadel may be crumbling, but the righteousness of the defenders, miraculously, endures.
added by lkernagh | editThe Guardian, DJ Taylor (Apr 10, 2010)

Tom Rachmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bachman, Barbara M.Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
de Vicq de Cumptich, RobertoCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Claire and Jack.
Lloyd shoves off the bedcovers and hurries to the front door in white underwear and black socks.
If history taught us anything, Arthur muses, it is that men with mustaches must never achieve positions of power.

Employees of an old-style English language newspaper based in Rome struggle with personal tragedies, dilemmas, and blunders while eyeing the rising tide of technology.
Declining news biz/intertwined sad, fun stories/journalists' lives suck (ReadWriteLib)

Preoccupied by personal challenges while running a struggling newspaper in Rome, an obituary writer confronts mortality, an eccentric publisher obsesses over his dog, and other staff members uncover the paper's founding by an impulsive millionaire.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,410,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible