My Wife's Affair by Nancy Woodruff

My Wife's Affair (edition 2010)

by Nancy Woodruff

Member:lovemybooks
Title:My Wife's Affair
Authors:Nancy Woodruff
Info:Amy Einhorn Books/Putnam (2010), Hardcover, 288 pages
Tags:Read in 2010, Infidelity, Underground Literary Society

My Wife's Affair by Nancy Woodruff

Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Another look at a disintegrating marriage.

Readers who enjoy contemporary and historical fiction will be delighted at the way Woodruff uniquely blends the two. Both Georgie and Mrs. Jordan’s journeys are compelling. The prose in My Wife’s Affair is straightforward and easy to read, but I found that it was not easy to move on to doing something else, and I read this book in just a few sittings. I loved all the nuances and how things tied up at the end. The storyline was resolved yet perfect in ambiguousness. I still think about this one and am still in awe of Woodruff’s accomplishments. Truly, this one is for the book clubs. Lots to discuss. ( )
  daniellnic | Sep 24, 2013 |
Ugh. Although this story seemed to have potential, especially in its interesting parallel between the characters and the play. But it ended up being just frustrating and full of unpleasant characters, and the ending was just stupid. ( )
  digitalmaven | Aug 21, 2010 |
I loved this book. It was beautifully written, well paced, and accurately portrayed many of the emotions involved in marriage, motherhood and art. The juxtatposition of the modern story of Georgie and her husband and that of Mrs. Jordan, an 18th century actress and mistress to royalty, is effective.

Although the tragic ending is foreshadowed throughout the book, it still comes as a shock, and I do see why some have characterized it as manipulative. I wasn't totally satisfied, either. But I don't think it detracted from the beauty of this book. ( )
  akblanchard | Aug 5, 2010 |
This is a very engrossing, surprising read with a twisted uncanny undervibing tone that will leave feeling edgy to the very end. I always wanted to feel how it felt like when your actually reading from the point of view a person is committing an affair with and I’m surprised because by the half way through the novel, you don’t really know who is really the ‘bad’ person. Very few books leave me feeling uncomfortable (in a good way) and this is one the few that has left me achieving that. Definitely a worthy read. ( )
  thalacufiya | Aug 3, 2010 |
Well written, but the ending was needlessly manipulative. ( )
  bearette24 | Jul 2, 2010 |
For Mark,
with love
We try, we husbands and fathers, we really do. I just want to tell you that. We may not find the perfect triceratops pajamas on sale four months before the birthday; it wouldn't occur to us to set up a magic closet full of stickers and Silly Putty for them on days when they're sick or scared or we just love them so much. We don't always remember to ask about the swimming lessons or the spelling test, and we've been known to come home late at night and go straight to bed without looking in on the kids (how this appalled Georgie).

I admit all of this, but also say that when we walk in the door at the end of the working day we don't ask for peace and quiet and the day's mail, but instead - so grateful that they're ours - just for those little bodies coming at us in a rush.

A smart, sexy novel about a woman's search for her former self on the London stage

Georgie and Peter, very much in love, move to London with their three children. Once there, Georgie's dormant acting career takes off and she wins the role of Dora Jordan in a one-woman show. Dora Jordan was the most famous comic actress of the eighteenth century (she had thirteen illegitimate children, including ten by the future king of England).

As Georgie rehearses for her part, she becomes increasingly drawn to Dora Jordan, who she sees as a working mother with struggles exactly like her own. And when Georgie can no longer fight her attraction to the playwright, she begins an affair with tragic results.

Narrated by Peter, a failed-writer-turned-businessman, My Wife's Affair is about infidelity, passion, duty, and about finally getting what you want and then wanting still more.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:53 -0400)

Moving to London with his wife and three children, failed writer Peter witnesses the blossoming of his wife's acting career and her increasing obsession with her portrayal of a famous eighteenth-century actress.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,921,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible