North by Northwestern: A Seafaring Family on…

North by Northwestern: A Seafaring Family on Deadly Alaskan Waters (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Captain Sig Hansen

Member:albanypubliclibrary
Title:North by Northwestern: A Seafaring Family on Deadly Alaskan Waters
Authors:Captain Sig Hansen
Info:Thomas Dunne Books (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Nonfiction Ordered Apr 2010

North by Northwestern: A Seafaring Family on Deadly Alaskan Waters by Captain Sig Hansen (2010)

This book made me laugh, it made me cry. I LOVE the show, Deadliest Catch, and wanted to read this book as soon as it came out. Captain Sig is my #2 favorite captain...Captain Phil was #1. Captain Sig shared the history of both crab fishing and his family. The only thing that left me wondering were the grammar errors...are there no proofreaders anywhere!?!?!?!?! ( )
  CassandraSabo | Dec 5, 2015 |
I loved the story. I got a good sense of the family. Loved the stories in the book. ( )
  Jenni01 | Jan 5, 2012 |
I wasn't expecting anything great, but as a huge fan of The Deadliest Catch this was a must read. The book gives you a good sense of the Hansen family's character and their pride in their Norwegian heritage. If you're not familiar with Hansen's work on the Discovery Channel, then I wouldn't push you to read the book. Fans of the series will get something out of it though. ( )
  kenno82 | Jul 22, 2011 |
Okay, I'm a Deadliest Catch girl. I find the show fascinating and over the seasons, I've come to enjoy the different characters and big personalities that the show has to offer.

The book contained a great deal of history that I found really interesting and I enjoyed learning about Sig's ancestors and the beginnings of the crabbing/fishing industry. I think even if you are not familiar with the show, you can still be engaged by the story, but I do think it would help if there is some knowledge of the program--it just adds another layer to the written word.

And you're right Sig, I had no idea your brother Norman was on the boat. So, now, every time he gets some T.V. face time, I'm going to yell "NORM!" at the screen. (Yes, I'm a dork that way.) The book was good. Your dad would be proud. ( )
  DanaJean | Jul 29, 2010 |
Before I write a review of this book, I feel it's only fair to offer the disclaimer that I am a huge fan of Deadliest Catch.

Review: I knew I was going to buy this book before it even came out as I find the subject matter fascinating. As a whole, the book was decent. It was a mix of stories about Sig, his brothers, the Hansen family history, and the history of the commercial fishing industry with a little Norse mythology thrown in. I think it helped that I already knew who all the major "characters' were before I even turned the first page. My major criticism of this book is that it jumps around a lot (multiple stories going on at once) and feels a little less "from-the-gut" than other autobiographies that I've read. All in all, if you're a Deadliest Catch/Northwestern fan, you'll probably find it worth reading. If you're not, you may want to watch a few episodes of Deadliest Catch before you start. ( )
2 vote FireandIce | Apr 3, 2010 |

Captain Sig Hansenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sundeen, Marksecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
My brothers and I dedicate this book
to our father, Sverre Hansen,
our uncle, Karl Johan Hansen,
and all the men who pioneered the crab industry
and paved the way for us to follow.

Sig Hansen is a star of the Discovery Channel's Deadliest Catch, one of the most successful series in the history of cable TV--but these weatherworn fishermen have stories that don't come through on TV. For Sig Hansen and his brothers, commercial fishing is as much a part of their Norwegian heritage as their names. Descendants of the Vikings who roamed and ruled the northern seas for centuries, the Hansens' connection to the sea stretches from Alaska to Seattle and all the way to Norway. And after twenty years as a skipper on the commercial fishing vessel the Northwestern--which was his father's before him--Sig has lived to tell the tales. To be a successful fisherman year after year, you need to be a survivor, and this is the story of a family of survivors who, through the popularity of The Deadliest Catch, have become modern folk-heroes.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,422,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible