Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani

Big Stone Gap (edition 2004)

by Adriana Trigiani

2,266824,055 (3.62)1 / 46
Member:riveter
Title:Big Stone Gap
Authors:Adriana Trigiani
Info:Turtleback Books Distributed by Demco Media (2004), Turtleback, 306 pages
Rating:**

Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani

English (81)  Vietnamese (1)  All languages (82)
I can't listen to this audiobook. The narration bothers me. I might have liked this book on the page, but I'm giving up. ( )
  SoubhiKiewiet | Mar 20, 2018 |
Courtesy of a review by LibraryCin I picked up this book of life in the Appalachian’s. Totally engaging the heroine while overthinking her life introduces us to the residents of Stone Gap. You will laugh, you will frown, and I think you will rejoice with Ave Marie as she searches for direction and meaning in her life. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Mar 16, 2018 |
3.5 stars

In the late 1970s in a small town in Virginia, Ave Maria is 35-years old and a “spinster”. She is a pharmacist and owns the town pharmacy. She has never worried too much about not having a man. Her father died a long time ago and her mother just recently died; she left a letter for her daughter: a letter that will change Ave Maria’s life!

I liked it, but I didn’t like the parts in Italy as much as the parts in Virginia. And did she really have to throw that extra bit in at the very end? I know, most people probably like and expect that kind of ending, for how that story was going, but I didn’t like or expect it. It actually hadn’t even occurred to me until it happened. I will still, however, continue the series (trilogy?). ( )
  LibraryCin | Feb 22, 2018 |
trekwoman's bookbox; Ave Maria - a 35yo spinster in town & daughter of an Italian immigrant, and running Mulligan's pharmacy, her late father's enterprise figures she will never marry. Eccentric town folk, and a letter from her mother that reveals she's not who she thinks. Two marriage proposals later, she's running for Italy to find out more about her mother's family, before she can figure out where she belongs in the scheme of things. Lots of folksy dialect and small town stories to keep the book moving along. ( )
  nancynova | Jan 30, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book immensely. I learned about whole mountain towns of coal miners in Appalachia who had simply moved from Italy to the US for work. I initially thought this book would be about that. It wasn't quite that, but the characters were really great. ( )
  MsKathleen | Jan 29, 2018 |
For Tim
This will be a good weekend for reading.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345438329, Paperback)

In the town of Big Stone Gap, Virginia, not much happens. The highlight of 35-year-old Ave Maria Mulligan's week comes on Friday, with the arrival of the Bookmobile, the sight of which sends her into raptures. Her favorite book concerns the ancient Chinese art of reading faces. Through her face-readings, we come to understand the hostilities simmering within her family: her father whose small eyes are the clear "sign of a deceptive nature." Her aunt who "has a small head and thin lips. (That's a terrible combination.)" Adriana Trigiani's first novel concerns the family scandals that befall Ave Maria in this seemingly uneventful town. Greed, lust, envy--all the ancient emotional elements--manifest themselves even in this hamlet of "ordinary folk." Fans of Fannie Flagg or Rebecca Wells will enjoy this down-home tale, full of small, everyday details and colloquial revelations. The writing is often awkward, but so too are the characters who inhabit this place: the Bookmobile lady who thinks of herself as the sexiest woman alive; the amateur actors in the local Outdoor Drama who bristle with ambition when they hear that Elizabeth Taylor is coming to visit. In Big Stone Gap, her visit is so anticipated, it's like she's an angel sent from heaven. --Ellen Williams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:05 -0400)

The warm and very funny story of a small town is told by Ave Maria Mulligan, a 35-year-old self-proclaimed spinster, whose comfortable routine is about to be disrupted forever. "Funny, charming, and original".--Fannie Flagg.

Adriana Trigiani is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,835,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible