Big Stone Gap: A Novel (Big Stone Gap…

Big Stone Gap: A Novel (Big Stone Gap Novels) (edition 2001)

by Adriana Trigiani

1,885633,643 (3.62)1 / 24
Member:written
Title:Big Stone Gap: A Novel (Big Stone Gap Novels)
Authors:Adriana Trigiani
Info:Ballantine Books (2001), Edition: 1st Thus., Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**

Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani

English (62)  Vietnamese (1)  All languages (63)
had problems with the logic in places. Did listen to the abridged audio. Maybe the abridgment is at fault. Read by the author. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Ave Maria is approaching her 35th birthday and is resigned to a single life, filled with being a pharmacist, fun friends, and good books. However, a buried secret changes the course of her life. A book filled with wit and wonder, hilarity and heart.
  SABC | Jan 7, 2014 |
Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani is both a debut novel and the start of the Big Stone Gap series. Ave Maria Mulligan is a thirty-five-year-old pharmacist, uninterested in marriage but pursued by a local bachelor. The big excitement in this sleepy Appalachian town is the announced arrival of Elizabeth Taylor.

Apparently the one chapter about Elizabeth Taylor, tucked in about two thirds through the book, is based on fact. How though it inspired the rest of this sleepy book, I have no idea.

Removing the actress from the book, the next BIG EXCITEMENT is the weekly arrival of the bookmobile. I like bookmobiles and libraries and librarians — heck, I even am a librarian. But as a riveting plot point, the bookmobile isn't much of a happening.

Near the end of the book — well after Elizabeth Taylor — the lengthy and dull character studies finally end and POOF a family secret appears. I guess the plot missed the bus and arrived on a later one. ( )
  pussreboots | Aug 3, 2013 |
Ave Maria Mulligan is the pharmacist in Big Stone Gap, Virginia. Her mother was born in Italy which makes her quite different from most of the local population. She is quite active in the community, serving as an EMT, the director of the town's drama, and other things. She loves the bookmobile that runs through the community and considers some of the books as her own since she's about the only one who checks these titles out. Her mother has recently died. She wants to find out more about her Italian father and contacts some of her family in Italy to find out more about him. She's not really interested in marriage, but Jack Mac, a local miner, is interested in her. I expected to like this book more than I did. While the book does a good job depicting the small mining town in its geographical location, I didn't find myself warming to Ave Maria quite as much as I'd expected to do so. I felt the character development was not as full as it should have been. My favorite character was Iva Lou, the bookmobile librarian. ( )
  thornton37814 | Jul 25, 2013 |
My daughters and I listened to this book on a long car trip and enjoyed it very much. I don't know why I haven't gone on to read the author's other books. ( )
  auntieknickers | Jun 8, 2013 |
For Tim
This will be a good weekend for reading.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345438329, Paperback)

In the town of Big Stone Gap, Virginia, not much happens. The highlight of 35-year-old Ave Maria Mulligan's week comes on Friday, with the arrival of the Bookmobile, the sight of which sends her into raptures. Her favorite book concerns the ancient Chinese art of reading faces. Through her face-readings, we come to understand the hostilities simmering within her family: her father whose small eyes are the clear "sign of a deceptive nature." Her aunt who "has a small head and thin lips. (That's a terrible combination.)" Adriana Trigiani's first novel concerns the family scandals that befall Ave Maria in this seemingly uneventful town. Greed, lust, envy--all the ancient emotional elements--manifest themselves even in this hamlet of "ordinary folk." Fans of Fannie Flagg or Rebecca Wells will enjoy this down-home tale, full of small, everyday details and colloquial revelations. The writing is often awkward, but so too are the characters who inhabit this place: the Bookmobile lady who thinks of herself as the sexiest woman alive; the amateur actors in the local Outdoor Drama who bristle with ambition when they hear that Elizabeth Taylor is coming to visit. In Big Stone Gap, her visit is so anticipated, it's like she's an angel sent from heaven. --Ellen Williams

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:34 -0400)

The warm and very funny story of a small town is told by Ave Maria Mulligan, a 35-year-old self-proclaimed spinster, whose comfortable routine is about to be disrupted forever. "Funny, charming, and original".--Fannie Flagg.

Adriana Trigiani is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,478,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible