Big Stone Gap: A Novel (Big Stone Gap…

Big Stone Gap: A Novel (Big Stone Gap Novels) (edition 2001)

by Adriana Trigiani

2,132753,068 (3.64)1 / 31
Member:written
Title:Big Stone Gap: A Novel (Big Stone Gap Novels)
Authors:Adriana Trigiani
Info:Ballantine Books (2001), Edition: 1st Thus., Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**

Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani

English (74)  Vietnamese (1)  All (75)
I enjoyed my time with this book. The characters are original and the setting feels authentic. There's humor and tragedy and great southern charm. I'm definitely continuing the series. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
I read this for my book club this month. Yes, somehow none of had read it or watched the movie prior. The majority of the ladies in my book club gave it a 3.5 rating but I’m sticking with a solid 3. A couple members have continued on with the series and one has since watched the movie (saying it wasn’t all that good). This is a “one and done” series for me though – I truly just thought it was OK. I enjoyed it, but it wasn’t anything special and I don’t feel the need to find out what happens next to the characters. Having said that, I do think this would be a good book to read when you are ready for something light and fluffy. Whether it is because there is just too much going on in life, you need a relaxing book, or you need something to help you recover from reading something dark…..this would be a good pick. ( )
  lynnski723 | Dec 31, 2016 |
Can't wait for the movie in a theater near me. ( )
  LindaCarvelli | Aug 15, 2016 |
The woman does not know when to end a perfectly good book.
  barefootcowgirl | Jul 29, 2016 |
For Tim
This will be a good weekend for reading.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345438329, Paperback)

In the town of Big Stone Gap, Virginia, not much happens. The highlight of 35-year-old Ave Maria Mulligan's week comes on Friday, with the arrival of the Bookmobile, the sight of which sends her into raptures. Her favorite book concerns the ancient Chinese art of reading faces. Through her face-readings, we come to understand the hostilities simmering within her family: her father whose small eyes are the clear "sign of a deceptive nature." Her aunt who "has a small head and thin lips. (That's a terrible combination.)" Adriana Trigiani's first novel concerns the family scandals that befall Ave Maria in this seemingly uneventful town. Greed, lust, envy--all the ancient emotional elements--manifest themselves even in this hamlet of "ordinary folk." Fans of Fannie Flagg or Rebecca Wells will enjoy this down-home tale, full of small, everyday details and colloquial revelations. The writing is often awkward, but so too are the characters who inhabit this place: the Bookmobile lady who thinks of herself as the sexiest woman alive; the amateur actors in the local Outdoor Drama who bristle with ambition when they hear that Elizabeth Taylor is coming to visit. In Big Stone Gap, her visit is so anticipated, it's like she's an angel sent from heaven. --Ellen Williams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:05 -0400)

The warm and very funny story of a small town is told by Ave Maria Mulligan, a 35-year-old self-proclaimed spinster, whose comfortable routine is about to be disrupted forever. "Funny, charming, and original".--Fannie Flagg.

Adriana Trigiani is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,876,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible