Night Myst (Indigo Court, Book 1) by Yasmine…

Night Myst (Indigo Court, Book 1) (edition 2010)

by Yasmine Galenorn

Member:RobynBachar
Title:Night Myst (Indigo Court, Book 1)
Authors:Yasmine Galenorn
Info:Jove Books (2010), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:to-read

Night Myst by Yasmine Galenorn

New series from Yasmine. Still set in Western Washington, not in Seattle, but near. Strong female characters, Fae, and vampires. Pretty good start with the series, but will have to see how it goes. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
i so loved this book can't wait to read the other ones in the series...5 Star from me!!! ( )
  Dawn2016 | Jan 29, 2016 |
I just finished reading Night Myst. It is a paranormal written by Yasmine Galenorn. Cicely Waters is a witch with an affinity for the wind element. She’s been on the run with her mother for all her life. When the wind tells her that her aunt and cousin are in danger, she rushes back home. What she goes home to shocks her in more than one way.

I really loved this book. I have to be honest. I have read this book once about three or four years ago. I re-read it because I have finally tracked down the rest of the series. I also re-read it because I wanted to give my review for it. I was hooked on this book the first time I read it and this time wasn’t any different. I loved how all the characters are relatable. I love how I felt what the characters were feeling.

There wasn’t really anything that I didn’t like about this book. There were some parts that I wish had been explained more, but it was understandable with the explanation that was laid down. That’s all I can really think of that was wrong with the book. I have a feeling that this will become one of my favorite series.

I fully recommend this book. I especially recommend it to those who like paranormals. Especially paranormals that focus on magic. I was hooked on this book. I’ve already started on the second book! I hope everybody who reads it enjoys it as much as I do. I’m so glad that I got a chance to read this book and can’t wait to read the rest of the series! ( )
  WillowStarSerenity | Nov 2, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Cicely Waters, 26 year-old black-clad, green-eyed, tight-abbed, tattooed, street-fighting witch, has been summoned back to her Cascadian hometown so she can use her powers to help solve the mystery of a witch's murder and some strange disappearances. Soon Cicely finds that things are worse than she could have imagined when she learns that the Indigo Court, an old race of vampiric fae, are planning to take control of both their vampire and fae ancestors. Cicely and her pals will have to make an uncomfortable alliance with the Crimson Court vampires to beat this even nastier foe.

I don't normally read contemporary urban fantasy, but I wanted to try Night Myst because it's been released on audio by Tantor Audio and I love their books. As usual, their production was beautiful and perfectly cast. Cassandra Campbell narrated Night Myst and she is completely convincing with all of her roles and has a wonderful range of voices that suit both the female and male characters. Her voice for Cicely isn't whiny and her male voices are strong and masculine-sounding (two places where I've heard plenty of female readers go wrong). I definitely recommend Tantor's audio version for anyone who wants to read Night Myst.

So, how did I, who am admittedly not a fan of this subgenre, like Night Myst? The bottom line is this: Night Myst kept me entertained for 11 hours, but I probably will not read the rest of the series. I'm now realizing more and more that it's me: I just don't much like this type of novel. However, I think Night Myst will be appealing to those who do enjoy this subgenre.

The plot of this first book in the INDIGO COURT series is quick and interesting and, while it wraps up satisfactorily here (the characters accomplish much of what they set out to do), the real battle is just beginning and it promises to be intense. Cicely is a strong, likable heroine with a realistic voice and it's from her POV that we hear her story.

I hope her English teacher doesn't hear it, though, because s/he would almost certainly be dismayed at Cicely's overuse of words such as cerulean and sparkle (and all of its derivatives), tired expressions and clichés ("like a deer in the headlights") and some out-of-style slang and ugly vulgarity. I'm going to charitably forgive one ancient vampire for this bad simile and assume its construction was caused by extreme stress:

"Listen to me. If the Indigo Court rises up, then you'll sympathize with us so fast and so hard that you'll beg me to turn you! They would eat you alive, like piranha going after a deer that's stumbled in the forest."

...or perhaps he's been alive so long that he's witnessed some sort of transitional missing link that the rest of us aren't aware of...

Okay, so the language in Night Myst is uninspiring — it's a bit charmless and mundane. Even the parts that are supposed to be beautiful — descriptions of sparkly elementals, sparkly vampires, and sparkly snow — all feel gaudy, as if infused with purple neon and sequins like the pony toys my daughters play with. I also had some issues with all the heritage, powers, and magical gifts that Cicely suddenly and easily acquires.

Another big issue for me (and I recognize this as my problem) is that I just don't like vampires. Vampires "freak me out" (as Cicely would say) and sex scenes with them are more horrifying than arousing to me. I've tried to get over this little phobia, but I can't seem to.

Overall, Night Myst is likely to be a good read for those who like vampires, sparkles, and a strong kick-ass heroine. The audio version is a terrific production, so I recommend this format if you plan to read Night Myst. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
This is a two-star book with a great narrator so I gave it a three-star rating. I decided to buy the book because I love her other Other World series. The writing style was fine as was the book but it was so depressing that it was hard to finish the book. Because of how depressing this book was I decided not to continue into the rest of the series. ( )
  AnotherDarnReader | Mar 17, 2014 |
There's a whisper on the night wind, there's a star agleam to guide us,
and the Wild is calling, calling...let us go.
Robert Service, "The Call of the Wild."
O Wild West Wind, thou breath of Autumn's being,

Thou, from whose unseen presence the leaves dead
Are driven, like ghosts from an enchanter fleeing...
Percy Bysshe Shelley
Dedicated to

Andrew Marshall,
one of my dearest friends,
who also understand the Hunt
and whispers on the wind,
and the desire to fly away.
Prologue:

And she arose from her deathbed in a gossamer gown, with eyes the color of starlight and hair as black as the night.
The women in my family have always been witches, which is why when Ulean, my wind Elemental, tossed my hair early on a balmy breezy December morning and whispered in my ear to listen to the wind, there was a message for me riding the currents - I did.
Reeds are strong, you know, Ulean whispered to me. They bend during storms, rather than break. I blinked. Yes, but reeds won’t hold up a house. They make a good raft, so don’t write them off so fast

Eons ago, vampires tried to turn the dark Fae in order to harness their magic, only to create a demonic enemy more power than they could have imagined. Having quietly amassed their strength for centuries, the Vampiric Fae are determined to enslave the world.
Now Myst, Queen of the Indigo Court, is rising again - and a long-prophesied war is about to begin...

Cicely Waters. a witch who can control the wind has returned home to New Forest, Washington, after learning her family is in danger. the Indigo Court holds the city in fear. People are vanishing. and strange deaths plague the town. And when she is swept into an unexpected and passionate reunion with Grieve, the Fae prince who taught her how to harness the wind, Cicely finds herself with a fierce and territorial lover.

But Grieve has become enslaved by Myst's court, and now, caught between two evils, the lovers must survive the machinations of the Vampiric Fae Queen, even as Cicely untangles the hidden secrets to her own heritage.

Een windheks keert terug naar haar dorp om dit te beschermen tegen een duister, magisch vampiergeslacht..

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,214,410 books! | Top bar: Always visible