Ladies Coupé by Anita Nair

Ladies Coupé

by Anita Nair

3682029,459 (3.75)3

English (11)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (20)
A group of women are brought together by circumstance in a ladies only railway carriage in India and swap their stories and recipes. I loved it. ( )
  tonidew | Aug 9, 2011 |
This book was a window into the Indian culture. One woman went on a trip, and on the train, she met five other women and listened to their life stories. It was interesting to read about the (fictional) lives of these very different Indian women. ( )
  RachelPenso | Aug 1, 2010 |
Mixed feelings about this book. I'm kind of off of novels about groups of women who get together and come to some sort of self fulfillment or realization of their empowerment. I'd hoped that the lure of India might take the somewhat sour taste of these novels out of my mouth. It did...sort of. Not enough to make me really enjoy the book, but enough so that I didn't abandon it. It's probably my frame of mind, no fault of the writer. I just wasn't that enamored of it all. Maybe the next reader will be. PS I really despised the end. ( )
  bookczuk | Jul 26, 2010 |
I'm a big fan of Indian fiction and this book did not disappoint. Well-written and compelling portraits of Indian women in varied circumstances, but all illustrating the challenges facing women in traditional Indian society. I finished the book wishing there would be a sequel... An added bonus at the end book was recipes for foods mentioned in the book. I may recommend this to my book club since our tradition is to not only discuss a book, but also gather for a dinner, generally themed around the subject of the book. ( )
  Jcambridge | Jun 18, 2010 |
A 45-year old unmarried Indian woman decides one day to get away from it all and go by train somewhere she has never been before. The title refers to the carriage exclusively for elderly people, handicapped, and women, a practice in India which lasted until 1998. She meets 5 other women and gets to know their stories. The underlying theme is their society's repression of women's individuality. Each has gone through some kind of struggle and an attempt to restore self-worth, and with it, happiness.

Without doubt, the book has a noble theme - emancipation of women in highly traditional societies. It cannot go wrong, unless it is shabbily told. And it is told in the most shabby way in this novel. Unimaginative, shallow, and kind of standard fare for telenovelas. And written also like a script for one. It could also use some proper editing. There are far better books written on this subject, and I suggest better stick to those ( )
  deebee1 | Nov 2, 2009 |

Anita Nairprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dahlström, EvaForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rudvald, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312320876, Paperback)

Meet Akhila: forty-five and single, an income-tax clerk, and a woman who has never been allowed to live her own life - always the daughter, the sister, the aunt, the provider - until the day she gets herself a one-way ticket to the seaside town of Kanyakumari. In the intimate atmosphere of the all-women sleeping car - the 'Ladies Coupe' - Akhila asks the five women the question that has been haunting her all her adult life: can a woman stay single and be happy, or does she need a man to feel complete?

This wonderfully atmospheric, deliciously warm novel takes the reader into the heart of women's lives in contemporary India, revealing how the dilemmas that women face in their relationships with hunsbands, mothers, friends, employers and children are the same world over.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:49 -0400)

"Akhila is forty-five and single, an income-tax clerk, and a woman who has always been the backbone of her impossibly demanding family - until the day she gets herself a one-way ticket to a resort town. In the intimate atmosphere of the all-women sleeping car - the Ladies Coupe - the women share their lives, their loves, their heartaches, and their triumphs. All of this leads Akhila to answer the question that has always haunted her: has her life been complete without a man?" "This novel takes the reader into the heart of women's lives in contemporary India, revealing how the dilemmas that women face in their relationships with husbands, mothers, friends, employers, and children are the same the world over."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,385,664 books! | Top bar: Always visible