Torment by Lauren Kate

English (124)  Dutch (1)  All languages (125)
Another one that started off pretty decent...drug on a little towards the middle then by the time you get close to the end, you want to toss the book across the room because its took drawn out. But thats just me! ( )
  MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |
"Torment" broke the mold of second books . . . a little bit. The story picks up right where "Fallen" leaves off: Cam and Daniel have struck a truce and agree to hide Luce at a school in California. Of course, Luce understands little of what's actually going on, and constantly tries to push her boundaries to her own (and others') detriment. I got a little frustrated with her. I mean, I know it must be frustrating to not know what's truly going on, but I also think she has to understand that something WAY bigger than herself is happening. The "I want to live my own life" attitude wore on me.

A common frustration I have in many/most book series is that the main love interest characters spend so much time apart. How can we readers fall in love with them together if the authors keep the characters at a distance?

Overall, 3.5. ( )
  Jenna.Czaplewski | Jul 3, 2014 |
  OBridget1 | May 4, 2014 |
This second book was probably on equal level with the first book, which I liked as well. Although the first book tended to have a bigger "end battle" (or what I sometimes like to call a "Boss Fight" like in a video game) this book built up the idea of "Why is Luce so important?" Questions are asked and left unanswered as a cliff-hanger. We do find out more information on the purpose of "The Announcers" and that seems to be the main theme of this book, as they rule Luce's curiosity. Luce wants to know if she can change the outcome of her life, and the lives of her loved ones by possibly eliminating Daniel from her life; but there's some sort of gravitational pull that draws her to him every time. While in the first book, Fallen, I liked Cam, in this book I've grown a liking towards Miles. Daniel just seems to self-absorbed and single minded for me to really appreciate his character and his choices.

First Line: "Daniel stared out at the bay." (1)
Last Line: "Would he find her? Without question. Would he save her? Always." (452)

------------
Quotes:

"But when the truce was over, everything would be in Luce's hands again. Luce's hands alone." (11)

"She loved him. But." (242)

"There, in the darkness, her heart pounding, she willed them to come out. She called on those coldest, darkest things, asking them to deliver her past, to illuminate her and Daniel's story. She called on them to solve the mystery of who he was and why he had chosen her.
Even if the truth broke her heart." (266)

"Would love be different with someone else? Was love even possible with someone else? Love was supposed to be easy, wasn't it? Then why did she feel so tormented?" (278) ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |

First Line: "Daniel stared out at the bay." (1)

------------
Quotes:

"She loved him. But." (242)

Even if the truth broke her heart." (266)

Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
"For, if I imp my wing on thine
Affliction shall advance the flight in me."
George Herbert (Easter Wings)
For Elizabeth, Irdy, Anne, and Vic.
I have been so lucky to have you.
Daniel stared out at the bay.

It took Luce and her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts, immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students: Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,281,764 books! | Top bar: Always visible