Torment by Lauren Kate

English (131)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (133)
Well... I hated 25% of this book... Why? Because of Daniel bossing Luce around as if she were a dumbass (which, frankly, she was.) Another thing that really had me on edge the whole book was, the fact that EVERYTHING was being hidden! I can't believe the author practically taunted us with the information and then BOOM snatched it away! She was being downright mean. D:

What I liked: There were many comedic parts (which I thoroughly appreciated) and there was a somewhat decent story line. The ending was very different from what I expected... there was a cliffhanger -of course- but also so many clues that hinted to so many events! I couldn't be happier to finally grasp what was going on.

This book was a whirlwind of emotions and twists... In the end I guess I loved it.

4 stars ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book more than I did the first one in the Fallen series. I read through this book a lot quicker than I thought I would and will be giving my usual 2 pros & 2 cons for a review.

Pro #1: Compared to the first book, I really liked how Luce seems to be coming into her own about who she is. Instead of being this helpless, needy girl that just can't seem to put one foot in front of the other without Daniel, she takes it upon herself to find out more information about her past lives. You really get a sense for who she was then and who she is now, even though she is doing her best navigating through her new surroundings in California

Con #1: One thing that really bugged is the whole "whoa is me" thing that surrounds Luce & Daniel's relationship! I understand that he has loved her forever but it's almost like he uses that as a hold on her. Then Miles was thrown into the already messed up love saga of them and I just found that when it came to love story part of the book that it was predictable and became a bit tired after a while.

Pro #2: I really adored the supporting characters in the 2nd book. I think they all just as equally played a big part in how the story played out and especially the ending. I love it when books leave you with a cliff hanger and Torment did just that! Books that are apart of a series are supposed to make you want to continue on to the next installments and Lauren Kate's endings do that.

Con #2: As much as I loved that ending, The Fallen Series still just hasn't hit that big deal point that I think a lot of readers look forward to in books. I will continue on with the series but these books are not ones that I want to read back to back. Other than the way the book ends, there isn't anything within the story that makes me want to hurry up and pick up the next one. This book gives me some hope that the series gets better as it continues because Torment is much better than Fallen.

Overall, I am very much interested in continuing on with the series. However, it will more than likely be on the basis of whenever I feel like picking up the next book to read and not because I feel obligated to find out what happens next. ( )
  justwordedlines | Feb 5, 2015 |
Truthfully I only finished [b:Fallen|6487308|Fallen (Fallen, #1)|Lauren Kate|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1268869615s/6487308.jpg|6678670] because I made myself finish it to try and give it a chance. I started Torment in some pathetic hope the story would get better in the second installment. Oh dear life was I wrong! I got in about 2 chapters and just quit when I could see it was more of the same awfulness. I have so many problems with this book and its predecessor.

First but not least, Luce drives me insane. Does she whine? Check! Complain? Check! Fall in love with the first males she sets her eyes on? Check! Do basically nothing and need to be rescued a alot? Check! In addition she is yet another female character that continues to be obsessed with a guy who treats her like crap. She also acts like a stalker.

Daniel, the super hot mysterious male (the fact the reader is bashed over the head with EVERY time he comes up) is a jerk, and refuses to give Luce any information, because as a woman she just couldn't possibly handle it. So of course when he finally does tell her parts of his secret, Luce in fact can't handle it and runs the eff off. Daniel is also super selfish. If he really loved Luce he would actually stay away from her not get near her and end up killing her over and over again!

Anyway, this is basically a review of the first book but works for Torment since it's just more of the same. Don't bother with this book and find something else to read. ( )
  luminescent_bookworm | Jan 27, 2015 |
This book was pretty good, it was better then the first in the series. The ending was very abrupt, so i'm not sure if i'll read the next one that comes out. ( )
  PrescottKris | Jan 26, 2015 |
What can I say, I loved it! Great sequel that introduces interesting new characters while fleshing out the existing ones. I would like to learn more about Daniel, but then, so would Luce so I can't really complain. If you liked Fallen you should definitely enjoy Torment. Can't wait to read the next installment. ( )
  Kelly_Mills | Dec 13, 2014 |
"For, if I imp my wing on thine
Affliction shall advance the flight in me."
George Herbert (Easter Wings)
For Elizabeth, Irdy, Anne, and Vic.
I have been so lucky to have you.
Daniel stared out at the bay.

It took Luce and her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts, immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students: Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,920,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible