Torment by Lauren Kate

English (127)  Dutch (1)  All languages (128)
Even though I hadn't read part 1 of the "Fallen" series, part 2 stands alone. It will delight teen readers, (and those of us who love YA), and the cliff hanger ending will leave you clamoring for the next installment in this exciting series. ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
Well this book was a slight improvement on its predecessor Fallen. I still don't agree with my past self who said this about Torment:

Not as good as Fallen, but a good read nonetheless. I really like the way Luce's character has developed - strong, independent and not influenced by Daniel's proclaimed love and stories. I like how she hasn't just accepted it all at face value, and is going to know more no matter who doesn't want her to. Very impressed, can't wait for the next!

This time around, I found Torment to be better than Fallen. Not by much, it certainly wasn't a 'good read' but some stuff actually HAPPENED this time around. But we still have a lot of Luce being stupid and Daniel being cryptic and both of them being infuriating.

A quick summary of the 'story' which I promise is much quicker than the book itself: Daniel has taken Luce away from Sword & Cross for her own protection, dumping her in a school for the byproducts of angel and human relations, the Nephilim. There she will be safe - but wait, no she won't! Because she's Luce and she continues to walk haphazardly into danger. She has a massive lapse of trust and belief in Daniel, causing her to ignore his pleas to "stay on campus" and goes off wandering in the woods, out to meet people, on a yacht and bad things happen just about every time. But this is Luce and she doesn't learn a damn thing. She is also starting to doubt her feelings for Daniel, but this doesn't stop her thinking about him on every single page. I kid you not, he is mentioned on every single page even when he's not there. There is also the introduction of another love interest, just when you thought she'd had enough. Nope! I don't know why all these guys love her so much.

So Luce does things that her stupid. Granted she is working with a lack of knowledge because no one tells her anything. And there is no good reason for keeping her in the dark when she obviously just keeps walking into danger! She should have had some trust in the people who actually know stuff, once she's been told by multiple people to stay put, but they also needed to trust her with the information. I also can't believe she'd be stupid enough to wander off campus to meet Daniel because of a note when the day before he'd told her explicitly not to leave? Wouldn't that have screamed "DANGER" to most people?

I think the introduction of Miles as another love interest is a bit ridiculous and it doesn't do anything to convince me of how eternal Luce and Daniel's love is, especially when you add Daniel's history with Shelby to the mix. Despite how much we are told that Luce and Daniel's love is forever, clearly Daniel gets bored of waiting and Luce is starting to question why they're in love. Hallelujah! I am not convinced of the wonderfulness of their love, especially since I've never seen them have a meaningful conversation, they've never been anything but all over each other and it just does not seem like love to me. It seems like lust and obsession and Daniel's crazy behaviour resulting in the death of the one he loves over and over again, which he seems to have just accepted. He is absolutely useless.

I still don't know why so many people are after Luce and why she is so important in the grand scheme of things, because as I see it she is a nobody, she is insignificant and yet all these random people want her? There has been little to no explanation of what is really going on and rather than leaving me intrigued, all I feel is frustrated and annoyed. I am not super impressed with Luce's questioning of their eternal love because I felt it should have happened a lot earlier. I also think the whole thing with Thanksgiving was not thought about at all by the characters involved - who is going to clean up that mess?!
  crashmyparty | Sep 5, 2014 |
Torment picks up where Fallen left off. Cam and Daniel have made a truce, as well as the other angels and demons, to fight off the other beings that are after Luce. Word has gotten out that she can be killed forever this time around so she is in much more danger than she was before. Daniel takes Luce to another school, Shoreline, where she is supposed to be safer. He tells Luce that he will not be there with her, which upsets Luce and causes her to feel alone, confused, and abandoned again. She meets a teacher, Francesca, another angel, who takes her to her room. Luce wakes up the next morning and meets her roommate, Shelby, who is fairly hostile and definitely not happy to be Luce’s roommate. Shelby explains that the school is composed of a mixture of mortal students as well as Nephilim (descendents of angels and mortals). Shelby is Nephilim and tells Luce that even though she is mortal, she will be in the special classes with the other Nephilim because of her relationship with Daniel. This causes Luce to feel even more out-of-place. At breakfast, Luce meets some other students who already know who she is and who treat her a little like a celebrity. These other students know more about Luce’s past with Daniel than Luce does. Naturally, this frustrates Luce because Daniel has been so tight-lipped about telling her about their past.

Luce spends much of this book struggling to find out more about her past lives and her past with Daniel. I was able to better identify with her in Torment because she raises the questions that I had while reading the first book, and that I would have if I were her. Why is the relationship between Luce and Daniel so important? Why did Daniel take the fall from Heaven to be with her? What is their history together? She wonders all these things and presses Daniel for answers but he will not tell her. This leads her to try to find the answers on her own. She and Daniel spend a lot of time arguing with each other in Torment because of her frustration at not having the answers she needs and his refusal to help her understand. She wonders if her life would be better if she were involved with a normal guy and if Daniel had never chosen her.

I actually liked Torment better than Fallen because I felt like Luce showed more spirit in this one. She wasn’t so consumed by her attraction to Daniel that she was afraid to challenge him. It got her into trouble a few times, but I don’t see that as her fault. If Daniel would just be open with her, she wouldn’t feel so desperate to find answers on her own. I got annoyed with Daniel myself. I felt sorry for him on occasion because there were times when Luce’s actions hurt him, but still. I just wanted to smack him and say, “Just tell her what she wants to know!”. Not to mention, I’d like to know as well.

At the end, I was again left with more questions than answers, but the ending of Torment led me to believe that much will be resolved in the next book, Passion.

You can find more of my reviews at http://bookwormbookreviews.com ( )
  Aeroette | Sep 4, 2014 |
Another one that started off pretty decent...drug on a little towards the middle then by the time you get close to the end, you want to toss the book across the room because its took drawn out. But thats just me! ( )
  MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |
"Torment" broke the mold of second books . . . a little bit. The story picks up right where "Fallen" leaves off: Cam and Daniel have struck a truce and agree to hide Luce at a school in California. Of course, Luce understands little of what's actually going on, and constantly tries to push her boundaries to her own (and others') detriment. I got a little frustrated with her. I mean, I know it must be frustrating to not know what's truly going on, but I also think she has to understand that something WAY bigger than herself is happening. The "I want to live my own life" attitude wore on me.

A common frustration I have in many/most book series is that the main love interest characters spend so much time apart. How can we readers fall in love with them together if the authors keep the characters at a distance?

Overall, 3.5. ( )
  Jenna.Czaplewski | Jul 3, 2014 |
"For, if I imp my wing on thine
Affliction shall advance the flight in me."
George Herbert (Easter Wings)
For Elizabeth, Irdy, Anne, and Vic.
I have been so lucky to have you.
Daniel stared out at the bay.

It took Luce and her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts, immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students: Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,974,651 books! | Top bar: Always visible