Skippy Dies by Paul Murray

Skippy Dies (2010)

by Paul Murray

Recently added byrena75, a1stitcher, nhc4b, HappySquidTom
    Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld (eenerd)
    The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth (Anonymous user)
    I Am Charlotte Simmons: A Novel by Tom Wolfe (eenerd)
    The Secret Place by Tana French (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both books deal with the death of a teenage boy and private boarding schools in Ireland.
    Ostrich Boys by Keith Gray (celerydog)
    celerydog: a YA equivalent, which packs a similar, visceral punch
    The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling (kinsey_m)

English (96)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (101)
Hilarious, tragic, charming and all the other adjectives the rave reviews have given it. 660 pages and not a page too long. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
Turning the last pages, I felt a twinge similar to when I completed Seven Types of Ambiguity by Elliot Perlman, a instantaneous realization that this hulk could've been a fine novel. I found the spiritual and astrophysical maneuvers wildly misdirected. I will say that Mr. Murray understands the speech of adolescents. Riffs on Infinte Jest might garner attention from some but ultimately though, I tend to regard Skippy Dies as only slightly better than The Instructions by Adam Levin. If that is negligible praise, so why bother? ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
A bit too long for a comedic novel, but pretty entertaining overall. My LOL moment was when the middle-aged DJ put on Toto's "Hold the Line" at the teenagers' party and what happened next. ( )
  nog | Jan 26, 2019 |
One of those books that I find well written, but not enjoyable. I need a break from Brit Lad Lit for a while - ugh! ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
Fab. ( )
  hatpin | Jun 17, 2018 |
Six hundred sixty-one pages may seem like a lot to devote to a bunch of flatulence-obsessed kids, but that daunting length is part and parcel of the cause to which “Skippy Dies,” in the end, is most devoted. Teenagers, though they may not always act like it, are human beings, and their sadness and loneliness (and their triumphs, no matter how temporary) are as momentous as any adult’s. And novels about them — if they’re as smart and funny and touching as “Skippy Dies” — can be just as long as they like.

[T]his is an extremely ambitious and complex novel, filled with parallels, with sometimes recondite references to Irish folklore, with quantum physics, and with much more.
added by bell7 | editBooklist, Michael Cart

Murray, PaulAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Arensman, Dirk-JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
(I) Hopeland: These daydreams persisted like an alternate life ... [Robert Graves]
(II) Heartland: People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion. [Albert Einstein]
(III) Ghostland: For where there are Irish there's memory undying, And when we forget, it is Ireland no more! [Rudyard Kipling]
For Seán
Skippy and Ruprecht are having a doughnut-eating race one evening when Skippy turns purple and falls off his chair.
Life makes fools of us all sooner or later. But keep your sense of humour and you'll at least be able to take your humiliations with some measure of grace. In the end, you know, it's our own expectations that crush us. (S. 628)
Skippy Dies, without any reference to subtitles or parts, refers to the complete work, which includes the three parts "Hopeland", "Heartland", and "Ghostland".  Please do not combine the complete work with any single-part edition.  For example, do not combine "Skippy Dies" or "Skippy Dies - Hopeland-Heartland-Ghostland" with "Skippy Dies - Hopeland" or with "Skippy Dies, Part 1".

‘Skippy and Ruprecht are having a doughnut-eating race one evening when Skippy turns purple and falls off his chair . . .’

And so begins this epic, tragic, comic, brilliant novel set in and around Dublin’s Seabrook College for Boys. Principally concerning the lives, loves, mistakes and triumphs of overweight maths-whiz Ruprecht Van Doren and his roommate Daniel ‘Skippy’ Juster, it features a frisbee-throwing siren called Lori, the joys (and horrors) of first love, the use and blatant misuse of prescription drugs, Carl (the official school psychopath), various attempts to unravel string theory . . . while at the same time exploring the very deepest mysteries of the human heart.

Why does Skippy, a student at Dublin's venerable Seabrook College, end up dead on the floor of the local doughnut shop? Could it have something to do with his friend Ruprecht Van Doren, who is determined to open a portal into a parallel universe using ten-dimensional string theory? Or Carl, the teenage drug dealer who is Skippy's rival in love?… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,733,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible