Skippy Dies by Paul Murray

Skippy Dies (2010)

by Paul Murray

Recently added byErina39, alo1224, msevans, nog
    Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld (eenerd)
    The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth (Anonymous user)
    I Am Charlotte Simmons: A Novel by Tom Wolfe (eenerd)
    The Secret Place by Tana French (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both books deal with the death of a teenage boy and private boarding schools in Ireland.
    Ostrich Boys by Keith Gray (celerydog)
    celerydog: a YA equivalent, which packs a similar, visceral punch
    The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling (kinsey_m)

English (93)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (98)
One of those books that I find well written, but not enjoyable. I need a break from Brit Lad Lit for a while - ugh! ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
Fab. ( )
  hatpin | Jun 17, 2018 |
A tragic comedy of epic sweep and dimension, Skippy Dies wrings every last drop of humour and hopelessness out of life, love, mermaids, M-theory, the poetry of Robert Graves, and all the mysteries of the human heart.

Why does Skippy, a fourteen-year-old boy at Dublin's venerable Seabrook College, end up dead on the floor of the local doughnut shop?

Could it have something to do with his friend Ruprecht Van Doren, an overweight genius who is determined to open a portal into a parallel universe using ten-dimensional string theory?

Could it involve Carl, the teenage drug dealer and borderline psychotic who is Skippy’s rival in love?

Or could "the Automator", the ruthless, smooth-talking headmaster intent on modernizing the school, have something to hide?

Why Skippy dies and what happens next is the subject of this dazzling and uproarious novel, unraveling a mystery that links the boys of Seabrook College to their parents and teachers in ways nobody could have imagined. With a cast of characters that ranges from hip-hop-loving fourteen-year-old Eoin "MC Sexecutioner” Flynn to basketball-playing midget Philip Kilfether, packed with questions and answers on everything from Ritalin, to M-theory, to bungee jumping, to the hidden meaning of the poetry of Robert Frost, Skippy Dies is a heartfelt, hilarious portrait of the pain, joy, and occasional beauty of adolescence, and a tragic depiction of a world always happy to sacrifice its weakest members. As the twenty-first century enters its teenage years, this is a breathtaking novel from a young writer who will come to define his generation.
  JESGalway | May 29, 2018 |
Loved. This. Book. Do not be misled by the fact that it took me a month-and-a-half to read it. It's fabulous. It's a long book (in all honesty, I think some judicious pruning could be done) and I read it very slowly, but I loved it.

I've been reading other reviews on GoodReads and saw several references to David Foster Wallace. I also thought of Wallace, but I thought this book was much more fun and deceptively lighter than Infinite Jest. More readable and not as self-indulgent. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
Took me forever to get through, and there were definitely some parts that could have been shorter, but overall I really enjoyed the book. Loved the boys (always made me laugh and smile) and Howard. ( )
  bribre01 | May 6, 2018 |
Six hundred sixty-one pages may seem like a lot to devote to a bunch of flatulence-obsessed kids, but that daunting length is part and parcel of the cause to which “Skippy Dies,” in the end, is most devoted. Teenagers, though they may not always act like it, are human beings, and their sadness and loneliness (and their triumphs, no matter how temporary) are as momentous as any adult’s. And novels about them — if they’re as smart and funny and touching as “Skippy Dies” — can be just as long as they like.

[T]his is an extremely ambitious and complex novel, filled with parallels, with sometimes recondite references to Irish folklore, with quantum physics, and with much more.
added by bell7 | editBooklist, Michael Cart

Murray, PaulAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Arensman, Dirk-JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
(I) Hopeland: These daydreams persisted like an alternate life ... [Robert Graves]
(II) Heartland: People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion. [Albert Einstein]
(III) Ghostland: For where there are Irish there's memory undying, And when we forget, it is Ireland no more! [Rudyard Kipling]
For Seán
Skippy and Ruprecht are having a doughnut-eating race one evening when Skippy turns purple and falls off his chair.
Life makes fools of us all sooner or later. But keep your sense of humour and you'll at least be able to take your humiliations with some measure of grace. In the end, you know, it's our own expectations that crush us. (S. 628)
Skippy Dies, without any reference to subtitles or parts, refers to the complete work, which includes the three parts "Hopeland", "Heartland", and "Ghostland".  Please do not combine the complete work with any single-part edition.  For example, do not combine "Skippy Dies" or "Skippy Dies - Hopeland-Heartland-Ghostland" with "Skippy Dies - Hopeland" or with "Skippy Dies, Part 1".

‘Skippy and Ruprecht are having a doughnut-eating race one evening when Skippy turns purple and falls off his chair . . .’

And so begins this epic, tragic, comic, brilliant novel set in and around Dublin’s Seabrook College for Boys. Principally concerning the lives, loves, mistakes and triumphs of overweight maths-whiz Ruprecht Van Doren and his roommate Daniel ‘Skippy’ Juster, it features a frisbee-throwing siren called Lori, the joys (and horrors) of first love, the use and blatant misuse of prescription drugs, Carl (the official school psychopath), various attempts to unravel string theory . . . while at the same time exploring the very deepest mysteries of the human heart.

Why does Skippy, a student at Dublin's venerable Seabrook College, end up dead on the floor of the local doughnut shop? Could it have something to do with his friend Ruprecht Van Doren, who is determined to open a portal into a parallel universe using ten-dimensional string theory? Or Carl, the teenage drug dealer who is Skippy's rival in love?… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,816,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible