Natural flights of the human mind by Clare…

Natural flights of the human mind (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Clare Morrall

Member:catalib
Title:Natural flights of the human mind
Authors:Clare Morrall
Info:Toronto : M&S, c2006.

Natural Flights of the Human Mind by Clare Morrall (2006)

I really like Clare Morrall's work. She seems to have a a special connection with troubled people. I understand her description of how the same issues can keep going around and around in your head at a conscious level, and also how events in your life can have a long term effect at an unconscious level. Some people (such as me) are more affected by this than others. In relation to the impact on relationships, the question arises as to whether there is something you can do or say in a relationship that might stop this perpetual grinding and wearing away at your soul. In this book the possibility of forgiveness is raised but there is also a recognition that some people are just not ready or able to offer forgiveness. What happens to the wrong-doer in that case is not clear. The reason this book doesn't score a 5 for me is that a few too many of the situations and events are just too unlikely and coincidental, such that the element of realism is degraded. ( )
  oldblack | Jul 28, 2014 |
What if you were responsible for taking away the lives of 78 people? And what about the lives of the people they left behind?

These are just some questions tackled in the book. It's a story about redemption, forgiveness, and the unlikely people you meet that help you bring back together the pieces of your life.

This book was a pleasant surprise for me, considering I only bought this book because it was really really cheap, and I bought it so I wouldn't be embarrassed at not buying a book in a bookstore, and also I was desperate at the time to find a fresh book to just read.

And the book was like a breath of fresh air for me. The subject matter is not the kind I actually look out for. I mean, redemption? Forgiveness? Hardly a popular topic, at least to me. But Morrall wrote it so it was kind of a mystery as to how Peter Straker could feel responsible for the lives of 78 people, and how they all died, and even Imogen Doody's mysterious past and what happened to her husband.

I guess it tackles more on the not knowing. Not knowing how your irresponsible act affected the lives of the people. Not knowing that today is going to be your last day. Not knowing whether or not the person you loved is dead or just missing. Not knowing how your life is entangled with your unexpected friend's life.

It was handled very well. Imogen and Peter's friendship was an unlikely one, but sometimes it is the most unlikely people that change your life. It's the beauty of forming friendships.

I look forward to another Clare Morall novel. ( )
  qquiet | Apr 2, 2013 |
I, like other reviewers, got this book because I loved Astonishing Splashes of Colour. And, like them, I wasn't disappointed.

This is an introspective story of two people who both live soliary lives. Both are struggling to deal with guilt: Pete was responsible for a train accident in which 78 people were killed, and Imogen Doody believes she is responsible for her sister's suicide. Both are also dealing with living profoundly alone -- partly by choice, but not entirely. When the meet in middle age, they are drawn to each other, yet unable (at first) to let their guards down.

Clare Morrall is a very good writer who is able to explore deep themes with perception and grace, without sacrificing a good story to do so. ( )
  LynnB | Apr 25, 2012 |
An excellent example of making your world small as a coping mechanism. I loved this guy. ( )
  picardyrose | May 31, 2011 |
I got this to read because I'd likes Morrall's first book Astonishing Splashes of Colour a lot. I didn't have a clue what it was about and didn't read the back cover or the flyleaf or the reviews or anything like that. I just started reading and let the story slowly unfold. And it was great that way. So I'm not going to say anything about the story, except that it's got a lighthouse in it which you can infer from the picture on the cover, and lighthouses are always a good thing, aren't they? The story comes together piece by piece and is fabulously told. You don't need a synopsis, just go and start reading it. ( )
  nocto | Dec 13, 2010 |

Peter Straker lives in a converted lighthouse on the Devon coast with a fine view of the sea, two cats, and no neighbors. That's just the way he likes it. He speaks to no one except in his dreams, where he converses with some of the seventy-eight people he believes he killed nearly a quarter-century earlier -- though he can't quite remember how it happened. But Straker's carefully preserved solitude is about to be invaded by Imogen Doody, a prickly and unapproachable school caretaker with a painful history herself. Against his will -- and hers -- Straker soon finds himself helping Imogen repair the run-down cottage she's inherited. There are forces gathering, however, as the twenty-fifth anniversary of Straker's crime approaches, and they're intent upon disturbing his precarious peace.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:30 -0400)

"Peter Straker lives in a converted lighthouse on the Devon coast with a fine view of the sea, two cats, and no neighbors. That's just the way he likes it. He speaks to no one except in his dreams, where he converses with some of the seventy-eight people he believes he killed nearly a quarter-century earlier - though he can't quite remember how it happened. But Straker's carefully preserved solitude is about to be invaded by Imogen Doody, a prickly and unapproachable school caretaker with a painful history herself. Against his will - and hers - Straker soon finds himself helping Imogen repair the run-down cottage she's inherited. There are forces gathering, however, as the twenty-fifth anniversary of Straker's crime approaches, and they're intent upon disturbing his precarious peace."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,975,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible