Mastiff by Tamora Pierce

English (39)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (41)
The king's only son is kidnapped, and Beka Cooper and her partner Tunstall are charged with finding him. From the first, it's clear that this was an inside job, and as the case continues, more and more obstacles are thrown in the Dogs' way. They must battle through swamps, ambushes, and controlling nobles. But at least they've got help: Tunstall's lover, the lady knight Sabine, Cooper's scent-hound Achoo, her powerful friend Pounce, and a mage named Farmer.

This was my least favorite of the Cooper/Dog series, for two reasons. One, the characterization felt unnatural. From the way Beka reacted to her mother being abused by a man (ie: getting justice on him and then swearing never to be with anyone like that, thus nixing any possible romance with Rosto) and the way she reacted to her last two love interests (ie: staying independent and aloof, regardless of how much fun they had), AND given how much she hates Dogs being bad at their job, I just can't buy that she'd ever date an abusive Dog who was bad at his job, let alone STAY with him for any length of time, let alone plan on marrying him. It came out of nowhere, and it felt artificial. So did Tunstall's betrayal, which felt like authorial fiat. And so did Beka's romance with Farmer, which developed fast and heavy-handedly. I liked Farmer, but I would have liked him a lot more if it Pierce hadn't made him so perfect in so many ways. Plus, I missed all of Beka's friends: Goodwin, Rosto, Tansy, Anika, Kora, Ersken, etc.

And two, the ending was a anti-climax mixed with unbelievable plot twists, which is a terrible combination. If I don't get climactic show downs, I want it to be because the author has decided to be realistic and gritty--not because the author wants to tie up all the loose ends as quickly as possible, with little imput from the main character. Instead, we got Tunstall's random betrayal, followed by him dying of cold in the night???, a battle that Beka&co note from a distance but don't even watch, followed by everyone returning to the city to find that Beka gets everything she ever dreamed of cuz why not, I guess. And then the crowd starts chanting "mastiff" at Beka, which comes out of *nowhere*. No where has anyone called her mastiff before, and she's nothing like a mastiff in personality or performance. Apparently the crowd just randomly assigns dog nicknames to people, in unison. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Immediately after the death of Bekka's fiance Bekka and Tunstall go on a hunt for the king and queens son. He has been kidnapped by mages who are unhappy with the kings decision to tax and license mage work. Lady Sabine and Mage Farmer Cape are sent along with them. While everyone is aware that it is a direct result of the mage work taxes it is unknown who exactly is involved in the plot, even among themselves. Their road is long and gets more and more dangerous the longer Bekka and her fellow hunters are on it.

Bekka's inner turmoil regarding Holburn and his death was extremely believable however I wish it hadn't seemed to resolve itself when she fell in love. Everyone feels sorry for Bekka but their relationship had been deteriorating and she was thinking of calling it off. She goes back and forth about her feelings but then when her and Farmer pull together it never comes up again.

The details of the hunt and the fighting are all very exciting and and adventurous. I also liked the foreshadowing of the different types of magic that will make an appearance in future volumes. I can't wait to move on to the other books. ( )

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Denaker, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gerardi, JanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whether it's for debt, for work, for sex:
For the slaves,
in the hope that one day your freedom comes not through
purchase, illness, or death,
but because slavery and the slavers have been sought out and stamped out
in every home, business, warehouse, ship, quarry,
bar, factory, and nest they inhabit.
We buried Holborn today.
Beka and Pounce's dialog, when Beka observes separate seating for men and women during dinner:

How do they expect folk to understand each other if they're separated when they aren't rushing about their work?

They aren't expected to understand one another, he replied.  The women will learn to flirt over a friend's shoulder, instead of close.  The men will see the women as distant and unknowable.  Their friends will be only men.  The women will see men as strong and unknowable.  Their friends will be only women.

(p.311-312)
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES (for the Random House hardcover first edition):

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, business establishments, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.

Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data are included.

Visit us on the web! randomhouse.com/teens

Educators and librarians, for a variety of teaching tools, visit us at randomhouse.com/teachers

Random House Children's Books supports the First Amendment and celebrates the right to read.

First printing of first edition line: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Beka and her friends will face their greatest and most important challenge ever when the young heir to the kingdom vanishes. They will be sent out of Corus on a trail that appears and disappears, following a twisting road throughout Tortall. It will be her greatest Hunt—if she can survive the very powerful people who do not want her to succeed in her goal

Beka, having just lost her fiance in a slaver's raid, is able to distract herself by going with her team on an important hunt at the queen's request, unaware that the throne of Tortall depends on their success.

211 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible