Mastiff by Tamora Pierce
603None16,187 (4.26)50
2011 (8) 2012 (8) adventure (10) animals (5) Beka Cooper (24) crime (7) ebook (9) fantasy (120) fiction (42) high fantasy (6) kidnapping (14) Kindle (7) magic (23) mystery (16) novel (8) owned (7) police (7) read (10) read in 2011 (8) read in 2012 (6) romance (4) series (15) sff (4) slavery (13) to-read (13) Tortall (44) YA (30) YA Fantasy (4) young adult (49) young adult fiction (6)

English (30)  Danish (1)  All languages (31)
I love the worldbuilding and most of the characters. I was a little confused about the time-jump between the prior book and this one-- three years is a long time. but... some things began to make sense about the intervening years as Beka told her story.
As I posted previous updates about this series, friends warned me, obliquely, about the ending.
They were right- I do not think I liked the ending of the book/series.

It was like what happens when a TV actor has contract problems and they have to get rid of the character quickly and clumsily.
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |

PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
In the final book of the Beka Cooper trilogy, Beka and her partner Tunstall are called away secretly by Lord Gershom to investigate the kidnapping of the Crown Prince of the realm. Her scent hound Achoo is needed, and they are helped by a mage named Farmer who seems out of his element but is one of the few who can be trusted in what seems more and more like a political play by who knows how many mages angered by the king's potential oversight in their craft.

I read the other two books over two years ago, but fortunately didn't suffer much for it. I could generally remember who characters were and what their relationships were to each other; except for the very beginning, the story itself was fairly self-contained, so it didn't matter that I didn't remember 100% of the events in the previous two books and what I really needed to know was introduced in a way that I could follow easily. Beka has developed quite a bit from the shy Puppy she was in Terrier, and it was fun to see her really grow into her own here as a full partner in a Hunt. I don't think the journal format works as well as a simple first-person narrator would have, as mentions of when Beka's finding time to write in her journal or comments that these were written much later than events just became clunky and distracting from the narrative. Even so, this series is a good strong fantasy that I would have no trouble recommending to a variety of readers. ( )
  bell7 | Jan 1, 2014 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Denaker, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whether it's for debt, for work, for sex: For the slaves, in the hope that one day your freedom comes not through purchase, illness, or death, but because slavery and the slavers have been sought out and stamped out in every home, business, warehouse, ship, quarry, bar, factory, and nest they inhabit.
We buried Holborn today.
Beka and Pounce's dialog, when Beka observes separate seating for men and women during dinner:

How do they expect folk to understand each other if they're separated when they aren't rushing about their work?

They aren't expected to understand one another, he replied.  The women will learn to flirt over a friend's shoulder, instead of close.  The men will see the women as distant and unknowable.  Their friends will be only men.  The women will see men as strong and unknowable.  Their friends will be only women.

(p.311-312)

Beka and her friends will face their greatest and most important challenge ever when the young heir to the kingdom vanishes. They will be sent out of Corus on a trail that appears and disappears, following a twisting road throughout Tortall. It will be her greatest Hunt—if she can survive the very powerful people who do not want her to succeed in her goal

Beka, having just lost her fiance in a slaver's raid, is able to distract herself by going with her team on an important hunt at the queen's request, unaware that the throne of Tortall depends on their success.

228 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,411,502 books! | Top bar: Always visible