Mastiff by Tamora Pierce

English (32)  Danish (1)  All languages (33)
aaaaaah can't wait ( )
  JazMinderr | Jul 31, 2014 |
Beka Cooper is an easy heroine for young women to identify with - especially those who might be shy, awkward or saddled with low self-esteem. Over the course of the series, we see Beka grow from just such a withdrawn young woman herself, into a fiercely loyal, determined and tenacious cop who yearns to protect the helpless from those who would abuse them - most often those with power and privilege. This character model is one that Pierce has used frequently and to great effect in her previous work, and it works well here, too.

The heart and charm of Pierce's writing is as evident in Book 3 as it was in Book 1, and I enjoyed the journey just as much. But I felt a slight unravelling this time around. Perhaps it is because Beka's journey is coming to a close, but I felt that too many of the story lines felt like they were being forced to a sudden resolution.

And I was decidedly not pleased with the twist ending, that seemed to run against well established character principles from previous books for the slim benefit of having a suspenseful climax in this one. The thin explanations offered did not justify the choices made, IMHO, so I wasn't held in suspense - I was disappointed. But still, it wasn't a huge disappointment, so a decent conclusion to a fun series. ( )
  Jefficus | Apr 25, 2014 |
I love the worldbuilding and most of the characters. I was a little confused about the time-jump between the prior book and this one-- three years is a long time. but... some things began to make sense about the intervening years as Beka told her story.
As I posted previous updates about this series, friends warned me, obliquely, about the ending.
They were right- I do not think I liked the ending of the book/series.

It was like what happens when a TV actor has contract problems and they have to get rid of the character quickly and clumsily.
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |

PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |

PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Denaker, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whether it's for debt, for work, for sex: For the slaves, in the hope that one day your freedom comes not through purchase, illness, or death, but because slavery and the slavers have been sought out and stamped out in every home, business, warehouse, ship, quarry, bar, factory, and nest they inhabit.
We buried Holborn today.
Beka and Pounce's dialog, when Beka observes separate seating for men and women during dinner:

How do they expect folk to understand each other if they're separated when they aren't rushing about their work?

They aren't expected to understand one another, he replied.  The women will learn to flirt over a friend's shoulder, instead of close.  The men will see the women as distant and unknowable.  Their friends will be only men.  The women will see men as strong and unknowable.  Their friends will be only women.

(p.311-312)

Beka and her friends will face their greatest and most important challenge ever when the young heir to the kingdom vanishes. They will be sent out of Corus on a trail that appears and disappears, following a twisting road throughout Tortall. It will be her greatest Hunt—if she can survive the very powerful people who do not want her to succeed in her goal

Beka, having just lost her fiance in a slaver's raid, is able to distract herself by going with her team on an important hunt at the queen's request, unaware that the throne of Tortall depends on their success.

228 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,822,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible