Mastiff by Tamora Pierce

English (38)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (40)
Immediately after the death of Bekka's fiance Bekka and Tunstall go on a hunt for the king and queens son. He has been kidnapped by mages who are unhappy with the kings decision to tax and license mage work. Lady Sabine and Mage Farmer Cape are sent along with them. While everyone is aware that it is a direct result of the mage work taxes it is unknown who exactly is involved in the plot, even among themselves. Their road is long and gets more and more dangerous the longer Bekka and her fellow hunters are on it.

Bekka's inner turmoil regarding Holburn and his death was extremely believable however I wish it hadn't seemed to resolve itself when she fell in love. Everyone feels sorry for Bekka but their relationship had been deteriorating and she was thinking of calling it off. She goes back and forth about her feelings but then when her and Farmer pull together it never comes up again.

The details of the hunt and the fighting are all very exciting and and adventurous. I also liked the foreshadowing of the different types of magic that will make an appearance in future volumes. I can't wait to move on to the other books. ( )

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Ok, a note to people who’ve read the whole series but, like me, didn’t remember everything that happened in Bloodhound because it’s been so long since it came out - Holbourn is not a character you should know! The beginning of this book started out at a funeral and I spent a good deal of the first 20 pages confused because I thought I was really forgetting something in the last book. Ah, but no, this book is set quite some time after Bloodhound so in reality there’s not a whole lot of connections between the two.
The Beka Cooper series has always been one of my favourites of Tamora Pierce’s series’. She’s my favourite author, I’ve read her books my whole life and each one is just great. What makes these stand apart is that they’re the first series that Tamora Pierce has ever written in first person. They’re written in diary form, which, for some reason, just works better than straight first person, because it’s giving the author a reason to use first person and acknowledge the reader.
In Mastiff, Beka with Achoo and Pounce, Tunstall, the lady knight Sabine, and a mage, Farmer, are sent on a Hunt to find the kidnapped prince. Magic is involved, making this a Hunt far more dangerous than anything that Beka would come across in the lower parts of Corus.
One of my favourite parts about this one was the addition of the mage Farmer to the group. He was great and having him involved in the group showed a kind of magic that we really haven’t seen in Tamora Pierces’ books before. Because they were dealing with so many mages, Farmer was needed to use his own magic on many occasions. And Tamora Pierce’s magic system is actually one of my favourites.
The book is faced paced, especially the second half. The threat of a traitor in the group and their enemies doing everything in their power to stop them made things desperate. I’ll be honest, there’s a twist at the end that I’m not a huge fan of. It was shocking, but I’m not entirely sure that it was necessary? I’m not sure, I’ll have to consider it more.
Beka is an amazing protagonist, though. She’s very distinct from all of Tamora Pierce’s other ladies (I would say of any of them, she’s similar the most to Kel personality wise). She keeps to herself and she does her job. Her personality matches the job that she does. I do love her a lot.
Also, the end thought it nice to drop a nostalgia bomb on me by reconnecting the trilogy to George Cooper. As Beka Cooper was George’s ancestress, the end of this book (marking the end of the series) tied back to him. I think I was, 12, maybe when I read The Song of the Lioness quartet the first time? So, having a few pages with George was amazing.
All in all it was a fantastic book. Easily the best of the three. ( )
  glitzandshadows | Oct 12, 2015 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Denaker, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gerardi, JanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whether it's for debt, for work, for sex:
For the slaves,
in the hope that one day your freedom comes not through
purchase, illness, or death,
but because slavery and the slavers have been sought out and stamped out
in every home, business, warehouse, ship, quarry,
bar, factory, and nest they inhabit.
We buried Holborn today.
Beka and Pounce's dialog, when Beka observes separate seating for men and women during dinner:

How do they expect folk to understand each other if they're separated when they aren't rushing about their work?

They aren't expected to understand one another, he replied.  The women will learn to flirt over a friend's shoulder, instead of close.  The men will see the women as distant and unknowable.  Their friends will be only men.  The women will see men as strong and unknowable.  Their friends will be only women.

(p.311-312)
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES (for the Random House hardcover first edition):

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, business establishments, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.

Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data are included.

Visit us on the web! randomhouse.com/teens

Educators and librarians, for a variety of teaching tools, visit us at randomhouse.com/teachers

Random House Children's Books supports the First Amendment and celebrates the right to read.

First printing of first edition line: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Beka and her friends will face their greatest and most important challenge ever when the young heir to the kingdom vanishes. They will be sent out of Corus on a trail that appears and disappears, following a twisting road throughout Tortall. It will be her greatest Hunt—if she can survive the very powerful people who do not want her to succeed in her goal

Beka, having just lost her fiance in a slaver's raid, is able to distract herself by going with her team on an important hunt at the queen's request, unaware that the throne of Tortall depends on their success.

211 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,095,645 books! | Top bar: Always visible