The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes…

The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes (original 1991; edition 1993)

by Neil Gaiman, Sam Kieth (Illustrator), Mike Dringenberg (Illustrator), Malcolm Jones III (Illustrator)

9,407189492 (4.22)1 / 439
Member:jeidai
Title:The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Sam Kieth (Illustrator), Mike Dringenberg (Illustrator), Malcolm Jones III (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (1993), Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:Comics, Your library
Tags:Sandman

The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman (1991)

English (180)  German (2)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (188)
Beginning my first complete re-read of the series since it was first published.

This volume concerns the incarnation of dreams' imprisonment by an overly-ambitious magician, his escape, and his quest to recover the items of power that were stolen from him and scattered.

I'm enjoying it even more than I did the first time, now I can recognize all the bits that I know will come to the fore in later story-lines. And even though I was ambivalent about the new coloring initially (a bit of the purist in me), upon going through it page by page I have to admit it looks much better. ( )
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |
Holy crap this book was spectacular!!

When I started it, it was really late so I planned on reading just two issues then going to sleep, but once I started reading I couldn't stop. Next thing I know, I've already flown through 4 issues. I had to force myself to put it down and go sleep.

This was such a brilliant, smart, intriguing and thought inducing read.
I absolutely loved the dynamic of it, how the story started out then how it slowly but surely evolved into something incredible.
I really loved the various characters that were introduced in this book, whether I loved them or hated them, there's no denying that they were really well written and very interesting.
Even the minor characters that only appear in one panel, they were well constructed.
I loved how every little thing that happens, no latter how confusing or out of place it may seem, contributes in one way or the other to the story. Small things lead to big plot developments.

I also really liked the graphics of this book, they were well done in a way that suited the gruesome nature of the story.

All in all, this was such a brilliant book, I can't believe I waited this long to pick it up! It was brutal, it was grotesque, it was bloody, it was violent but it also was smart and beautiful and mind-blowing.
I highly recommend it! ( )
  Ray_ | Feb 18, 2019 |
The best thing about Sandman is the unusual (super)hero protagonist. The Dream Master is a far cry from your traditional Justice League Let's-Pound-The-Bad-Guy superhero.

Not least of all because he is basically a god and because at least half the story takes place in the Dream-Realm, or some other ethereal place. This sometimes gets weird of course, since, you know, one can dream basically about anything, but on the other hand, for example, Gaiman's and artist Sam Keith's rendition of hell in story number four, A Hope in Hell, is truly a memorable moment.

Another thing about the Sandman is that he is not brimming with self-confidence or conviction about the righteousness of his way. Instead he is often doubting, introspective and sometimes even melancholic. In other words, believable and easy to sympathize with. It's a good thing his sister Death is there to kick his ass into shape.

In the end, this is a pretty enthralling and, especially towards the end, dark and disturbing mix of fantasy (including Biblical undertones), horror, madness, dreams and action. I definitely plan on reading a couple more of these stories. ( )
1 vote matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
Neil Gaiman builds a fascinating world. However, as much as I want to like him, I just can't get into his stories. I guess his storytelling ways just aren't a good match with me. Not sure what it is exactly. Too straightforward? Too many teenage thoughts and feelings in adults? (The fact that super heroes are not my cup of tea to say the least is not helping either) ( )
  Firewild | Jan 3, 2019 |
I picked this up with some trepidation. I hadn't read it since the first time, which was decades ago, and, well . . . I'm sure y'all know how that can go. You fondly remember something from years gone by as glorious, but you've grown so much since then. You pick it up and find something completely different from your cherished memory. (I'm looking at you A Little Princess, and as for you Xanth, we're still not speaking.)

In this case, it has been some 25 years. I'm not the same human I was when I picked it up the first time. 20 to 45 is a good long distance.

However, my fears were unwarranted. Preludes & Nocturnes is every bit as wonderful as I remember. I was sucked into the world as strongly as I was the first time. It was every bit as magical, every bit as exciting, every bit as good as I remember. While Neil himself sees this first volume as full of the awkwardness and error of his early career, I still see a compelling universe rooted in familiar myth but twisted around into something altogether more magnificent. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Dec 23, 2018 |

Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vozzo, DannyColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berger, KarenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"But where shall wisdom be found? And where is the place of understanding? Man knoweth not the price thereof; neither is it found in the land of the living... for the price of wisdom is above rubies."
-- The Book of Job, chapter 28, verses 12, 13, 18
"D is for lots of things."
-- John Dee, All Fools' Day 1989
For Dave Dickson: oldest friend.
-- Neil Gaiman
To my wife Kathy, my pal Tim, and to everyone in jail.
-- Sam Kieth
To friends and lovers. To Sam, Malcolm, and Neil; may your talents never dim. You made working on this book an indescribable pleasure. To Karen, Tom and Art (without whom this book would not have been possible), thanks for the time and your super-human patience. Special thanks to Beth, Matte, Sigal, the incomparable Barbara Brandt (a.k.a. Victoria), Rachel, Sean F., Shawn S., Mimi, Gigi, Heather, Yann, Brantski, Mai Li, Berni Wrightson (for Cain and Abel) and, as ever, to Cinnamon.
-- Mike Dringenberg
To Little Malcolm.
-- Malcolm Jones III
Wake up, sir. We're here.
But it's funny. I always thought when I became king...
I thought there would be applause.
I though somebody would say something.

Contains issues #1-8: Sleep of the just -- Imperfect hosts -- Dream a little dream of me -- A hope in hell -- Passengers -- 24 hours -- Sound and fury -- The sound of her wings

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446393630, Paperback)

"Wake up, sir. We're here." It's a simple enough opening line--although not many would have guessed back in 1991 that this would lead to one of the most popular and critically acclaimed comics of the second half of the century.

In Preludes and Nocturnes, Neil Gaiman weaves the story of a man interested in capturing the physical manifestation of Death but who instead captures the King of Dreams. By Gaiman's own admission there's a lot in this first collection that is awkward and ungainly--which is not to say there are not frequent moments of greatness here. The chapter "24 Hours" is worth the price of the book alone; it stands as one of the most chilling examples of horror in comics. And let's not underestimate Gaiman's achievement of personifying Death as a perky, overly cheery, cute goth girl! All in all, I greatly prefer the roguish breaking of new ground in this book to the often dull precision of the concluding volumes of the Sandman series. --Jim Pascoe

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:31 -0400)

A collection of eight comics that introduce the series' lead character, the Sandman, Lord of Dreams.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,100,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible