The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes…

The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes (original 1991; edition 1993)

by Neil Gaiman, Sam Kieth (Illustrator), Mike Dringenberg (Illustrator), Malcolm Jones III (Illustrator)

8,701170348 (4.21)1 / 390
Member:stephmo
Title:The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Sam Kieth (Illustrator), Mike Dringenberg (Illustrator), Malcolm Jones III (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (1993), Edition: Pap/Cdr, Paperback, 240 pages
Tags:graphic novel, series, sandman, listsofbests, readingrants, 500 essential graphic novels, paul gravett's graphic novels to change your life

The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman (1991)

English (163)  German (2)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All (1)  Danish (1)  All (170)
I bought this many years ago (try a decade) and never read. WHY? I have no idea, but clearly the onus is on me. A wonderful story that is only beginning and I can't wait to to continue on - even more so now that Mr. Gaiman has dropped the wonderful news that there is a new SANDMAN book coming out. ( )
  byshieldmaiden | Jan 17, 2017 |
A classic of the graphical fantasy field. No fan of fantasy in general, I do belive there is something to be learnt from the classics of any field. And I can definitely see the appeal of this work about Sandman/Dream/Morpheus getting captured by mere humans and the trouble that gets him into. However, even though this novel mainly sets the scene for the several later volumes of Sandman, I probably will not pick them up, I just like more realistic stuff. ( )
  ohernaes | Jan 8, 2017 |
I've seen this graphic novel floating around for ages but for some reason I've never picked it up. I'm glad I finally ended that dumb streak because The Sandman is Neil Gaiman at his finest. It's dark, witty, creative, and terribly smart; an all around slam dunk for a comic series. The Sandman is the ruler of the realm of dreams and finds himself continually caught up in human drama. A great introduction to the series, fantastic worldbuilding, concepts, and dialogue. I can't wait to read more! ( )
  ecataldi | Jan 1, 2017 |
THIS IS NOT A KIDS BOOK! I REPEAT, THIS IS NOT A KIDS BOOK!
It says Mature on the back and buddy, they're not kidding. So no kids. But if you're a grownup...

First, as someone who has read more manga than comics (except Archie comics from thrift shops and yard sales), it took me a bit to get used to reading left to right and front to back again. Then, it took me a bit to get over the horror of seeing an exploding head complete with flying eyeballs, in full colour. I am not used to full colour for horrific things. I was so disturbed I very nearly did not open the book again. But my curiosity got the better of me and I'm glad I did.
There is nothing I can say about this book of comic books that someone hasn't said already. The story has been summarized a million times already. So I will just tell you my impressions, what I liked, what I disliked, etc.
Many found characters from the DC universe being in the story a problem. As someone who never had the money to read comic books, there were only a handful of characters that I recognized and (except for Batman and Scarecrow) none that I was really familiar with at all. I wasn't even sure if John Constantine was a Gaiman character or a DC character! I'm excited to meet him, though, and hope now that I can find more about him. He seems quite interesting. In fact, all of the DC characters that Gaiman has put into the story seem pretty interesting....I must do some research.
Morpheus himself, the main character, is nice and complex. I love the way he can go from cruel and vindictive to altruistically kind. If they do make a movie of this as rumors have hinted for years, I hope they get Benedict Cumberpatch for Morpheus as he not only looks the part but has a perfect voice and of course, acting abilities to go with it. I look forward to seeing how Morpheus develops as the series goes on into the next volume (which my library had better have or I'm going to have a fit!).
SPOILERS
BY THE WAY, THIS IS SERIOUSLY NOT FOR KIDS

The chapters with Doctor Destiny are some of the best. Gaiman goes from making you feel so sorry for the man to making you watch as he commits atrocities out of boredom and a deranged sense of fun. It's funny, I am very very squeamish (see above) but I positively enjoyed "24 Hours," one of the sickest and most twisted things I have ever encountered. I think it is partly because it is so elegantly and beautifully executed. Oh dear, executed wasn't the best choice of words. I nearly died laughing (grrr, I can't stop!) when the Doctor forced the doomed diner folk into a sing along of The Addams Family theme song! Even the murders and tortures are handled with a sort of flair. The chapter is disturbing beyond words and yet so beautifully done that you can see the terrible macabre humour. I hate myself for enjoying it but I couldn't help it somehow. That's what I call talent on the writers' and illustrators' parts.
And Morpheus's choice on recovering his power is just beautiful. I was reminded of Gandalf's wisdom regarding Gollum...
As just about everyone knows, one of the best parts about this volume is that the last chapter features Morpheus reunited with his older sister: Death. And this Death can even appreciate Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins despite his accent. :) She is a glad soul, a happy goddess, a gentle, loving person with Gothic style. Morpheus gets back his sense of purpose after going on "visits" with Death, visits that are sweet and sad but hopeful. It is exactly what one expects from Neil Gaiman.

END SPOILERS

So. Is it as good as they say? Yeah, it really is. Even given a rather slowish start (my only real fault with it) , Neil Gaiman's writing and superior art (especially after about chapter 3) raise this high above the usual comic book and put it not just on the graphic novel shelf, but to me, on a shelf of its own. Or in with the higher quality manga. Where it does not belong is on a low shelf where kids can easily access it and see those pictures. Just because it's about the Dream Lord doesn't mean it should be allowed to induce nightmares!
  aurelas | Dec 23, 2016 |
I had to stop in the middle because I got too creeped out, but I am glad I finished it now. I can see why this holds the prestigious place it does in geekdom. It has excellent art, interesting characters, and a backstory for the ages. I know there is so much world building I'm missing by not being a comics nerd. But instead of being off-putting, I just want to read more and catch all the things I missed the first time.

Gaiman hardly needs an introduction anymore, and if you like his novels, you should like this. It has the intricacies and art and weirdness that you would expect. This is the story of personified Dream, the caretaker of our sleeping worlds. Dream is captured accidentally, and in the end, humans cause all sorts of problems that Dream must solve before he can go back to being the Sandman. But really, if you want a plot summary, go to the Wikipedia page.

The most prominent part of this story was the creepiness. It is not short on gore, but that isn't even the worst part. The worst/scariest part is the very idea of Dream, of the Sandman. The childhood character was little more than a nursery rhyme before I read this, but now I'm not sure what to think. I'm not sure I'll be sleeping too well tonight. Though maybe I will just have some exciting dreams. ( )
  jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |

Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vozzo, DannyColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berger, KarenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"But where shall wisdom be found? And where is the place of understanding? Man knoweth not the price thereof; neither is it found in the land of the living... for the price of wisdom is above rubies."

THE BOOK OF JOB, Chapter 28, verses 12, 13, 18
"D is for lots of things."
John Dee, All Fools Day 1989
For Dave Dickson: oldest friend. - Neil Gaiman
To my wife Kathy, my pal Tim, and to everyone in jail. - Sam Kieth
To friends & lovers. To Sam, Malcolm, and Neil; may your talents never dim. You made working on this book an indescribable pleasure. To Karen, Tom and Art (without whom this book would not have been possible), thanks for the time and your super-human patience. Special thanks to Beth, Matte, Sigal, the incomparable Barbara Brandt (a.k.a. Victoria), Rachel, Sean F., Shawn S., Mimi, Gigi, Heather, Yann, Brantski, Mai Li, Berni Wrightson (for Cain & Abel) and, as ever, to Cinamon. - Mike Dringenberg
To Little Malcolm - Malcolm Jones III
"Wake up, sir."
But it's funny. I always thought when I became king...I thought there would be applause.
I though somebody would say something.

Contains issues #1-8: Sleep of the just -- Imperfect hosts -- Dream a little dream of me -- A hope in hell -- Passengers -- 24 hours -- Sound and fury -- The sound of her wings

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446393630, Paperback)

"Wake up, sir. We're here." It's a simple enough opening line--although not many would have guessed back in 1991 that this would lead to one of the most popular and critically acclaimed comics of the second half of the century.

In Preludes and Nocturnes, Neil Gaiman weaves the story of a man interested in capturing the physical manifestation of Death but who instead captures the King of Dreams. By Gaiman's own admission there's a lot in this first collection that is awkward and ungainly--which is not to say there are not frequent moments of greatness here. The chapter "24 Hours" is worth the price of the book alone; it stands as one of the most chilling examples of horror in comics. And let's not underestimate Gaiman's achievement of personifying Death as a perky, overly cheery, cute goth girl! All in all, I greatly prefer the roguish breaking of new ground in this book to the often dull precision of the concluding volumes of the Sandman series. --Jim Pascoe

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:31 -0400)

An occultist attempting to capture Death to bargain for eternal life traps her younger brother, Dream, instead. After his 70 year imprisonment and eventual escape, Dream, a.k.a. The Sandman, goes on a quest for his lost objects of power. Author Neil Gaiman creates an unforgettable tale of the forces that exist beyond life and death by weaving ancient mythology, folklore and fairy tales with his own distinct narrative vision.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,674,023 books! | Top bar: Always visible