The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes…

The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes (original 1991; edition 1993)

by Neil Gaiman, Sam Kieth (Illustrator), Mike Dringenberg (Illustrator), Malcolm Jones III (Illustrator)

8,127151390 (4.22)1 / 351
Member:stephmo
Title:The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Sam Kieth (Illustrator), Mike Dringenberg (Illustrator), Malcolm Jones III (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (1993), Edition: Pap/Cdr, Paperback, 240 pages
Tags:graphic novel, series, sandman, listsofbests, readingrants, 500 essential graphic novels, paul gravett's graphic novels to change your life

The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman (1991)

English (144)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (150)
Visually stunning. Storyline uneven. ( )
  wdwilson3 | Jul 5, 2015 |
I read this once before years ago, but now decided to do the whole series. Enjoyed very much, of course, it's one of the great graphic novel series. Twenty years after, this first one does feel the littlest bit dated, but certainly nothing to stop me from reading the rest! ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jun 10, 2015 |
The Lord of Dreams, Morpheus, has been captured and held captive by a rich old man, who was actually trying to capture his sister, Death. Morpheus must figure out a way of escaping and then regaining his kingdom, while humanity is suffering from severe sleep related problems in his absence. It’s an interesting concept, and it’s easy to see why it caught on. There is no shortage of darkness and violence, but the writing is clever and the artwork is often beautiful (just one example of which is the cover art to ‘Imperfect Hosts’). The first volume is a little uneven on plot, but it lays the groundwork and does make me want to keep reading.

As for quotes, I loved this reference on death:
“Death is before me today:
Like the recovery of a sick man,
Like going forth into a garden after sickness.
Like the odor of myrrh,
Like sitting under a sail in a good wind.
Death is before me today:
Like the course of a stream;
Like the return of a man from the war-galley to his house.
Death is before me today:
Like the home that a man longs to see,
After years spent as a captive.”
- From "Dialogue of a Misanthrope with His Soul" (circa 2000 BC; Ancient Egypt) ( )
1 vote gbill | May 30, 2015 |
I think maybe I don't like horror comics. This story was certainly interesting, but I would not say that I really enjoyed it. The Sandman as a character was cool, and maybe I'd appreciate it more were I more familiar with the DC universe. Still, I doubt I'll search out the next volume. ( )
  melydia | May 9, 2015 |
A good beginning to the series. The story-line is really original, with some awesome mythology. I loved that Gaiman made the personification of Death a happy (almost perky) young woman. However, towards the end, I got a little thrown when suddenly John Constantine and the freaking Justice League of America popped-up. I wasn't expecting this to align with other comic books like that, but it oddly worked. I'll be picking up the next book in the series.
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dringenberg, MikeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kieth, SamIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
"But where shall wisdom be found? And where is the place of understanding? Man knoweth not the price thereof; neither is it found in the land of the living... for the price of wisdom is above rubies."

THE BOOK OF JOB, Chapter 28, verses 12, 13, 18
"D is for lots of things."
John Dee, All Fools Day 1989
For Dave Dickson: oldest friend. - Neil Gaiman
To my wife Kathy, my pal Tim, and to everyone in jail. - Sam Kieth
To friends & lovers. To Sam, Malcolm, and Neil; may your talents never dim. You made working on this book an indescribable pleasure. To Karen, Tom and Art (without whom this book would not have been possible), thanks for the time and your super-human patience. Special thanks to Beth, Matte, Sigal, the incomparable Barbara Brandt (a.k.a. Victoria), Rachel, Sean F., Shawn S., Mimi, Gigi, Heather, Yann, Brantski, Mai Li, Berni Wrightson (for Cain & Abel) and, as ever, to Cinamon. - Mike Dringenberg
To Little Malcolm - Malcolm Jones III
"Wake up, sir."
But it's funny. I always thought when I became king...I thought there would be applause.
I though somebody would say something.

Contains issues #1-8: Sleep of the just -- Imperfect hosts -- Dream a little dream of me -- A hope in hell -- Passengers -- 24 hours -- Sound and fury -- The sound of her wings

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446393630, Paperback)

"Wake up, sir. We're here." It's a simple enough opening line--although not many would have guessed back in 1991 that this would lead to one of the most popular and critically acclaimed comics of the second half of the century.

In Preludes and Nocturnes, Neil Gaiman weaves the story of a man interested in capturing the physical manifestation of Death but who instead captures the King of Dreams. By Gaiman's own admission there's a lot in this first collection that is awkward and ungainly--which is not to say there are not frequent moments of greatness here. The chapter "24 Hours" is worth the price of the book alone; it stands as one of the most chilling examples of horror in comics. And let's not underestimate Gaiman's achievement of personifying Death as a perky, overly cheery, cute goth girl! All in all, I greatly prefer the roguish breaking of new ground in this book to the often dull precision of the concluding volumes of the Sandman series. --Jim Pascoe

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:31 -0400)

An occultist attempting to capture Death to bargain for eternal life traps her younger brother, Dream, instead. After his 70 year imprisonment and eventual escape, Dream, a.k.a. The Sandman, goes on a quest for his lost objects of power. Author Neil Gaiman creates an unforgettable tale of the forces that exist beyond life and death by weaving ancient mythology, folklore and fairy tales with his own distinct narrative vision.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,005,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible