The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes…

The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes (original 1991; edition 1993)

by Neil Gaiman, Sam Kieth (Illustrator), Mike Dringenberg (Illustrator), Malcolm Jones III (Illustrator)

8,456162363 (4.21)1 / 372
Member:stephmo
Title:The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Sam Kieth (Illustrator), Mike Dringenberg (Illustrator), Malcolm Jones III (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (1993), Edition: Pap/Cdr, Paperback, 240 pages
Tags:graphic novel, series, sandman, listsofbests, readingrants, 500 essential graphic novels, paul gravett's graphic novels to change your life

The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman (1991)

English (155)  German (2)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (162)
Intriguing... I'm not in love with it (yet), but I am still curious enough to see what happens after this. I am glad I decided to go with this over Walking Dead, clearly much more substance occurring. ( )
  ShayLRoss | Mar 16, 2016 |
ISBN: 9781401225759

What You Get: The first eight issues of Neil Gaiman’s award-winning series (OR SO I HEAR), an introduction by executive editor Karen Berger, and an afterword by Neil Gaiman. Art by Sam Kieth, Mike Dringenberg, and Malcolm Jones III.

The Story: This series falls solidly into the horror genre, so it has blood, gore, violence, and scary and disturbing characters/scenes/plots. The diner chapter, specifically, made me go ARGH DO NOT WANT the entire time. I still enjoyed this book but couldn’t whole-heartedly love it; for those who read and like horror, obviously, this would probably not be a problem.

Each issue has a mostly self-contained story, with the first seven issues comprising a “quest” format story arc. In the first issue, we’re introduced to an appropriately creepy cult that tries to capture Death for their own purposes, but being incompetent creepy cultists, they capture Dream instead. Eventually, of course, Dream escapes and sets himself to righting his wrongs and getting back all of his stuff. The eighth issue in the volume introduces us to a character important to Dream and is obviously a lull in between two arcs.

When he’s in the human world, he’s a scary-looking dude with awesome clothes, but in dreams and the dream-world he is extremely powerful. A large part of the fun (so to speak) in this story is watching Dream use his powers in different ways, using dreams to scare, punish, trap, or teach people. He’s a scary kind of dude, I think I mentioned. He visits Hell in one issue, which turned out to be one of my favorites, partly because of the fantastical (and terrifying, yes) depiction of Hell, and partly because of the conflict which pits Dream against a demon in a contest (to get his afore-mentioned stuff back).

The supporting characters are definitely a mixed bag. The ones I liked and hope come back are Dream’s clothing (obviously the best supporting character), Death, and John Constantine. John Constantine is the closest we get to a decent human sidekick who helps Dream out. The incorporation of Cain and Abel was very interesting, presenting them as archetypes of a sort who live their story over and over again, but that was disturbing and they were disturbing. There were various others who show up only to die horribly, of course.

I didn’t know ahead of time that this story takes place in DC’s universe, but then Arkham Asylum was there (because we needed more creepiness!) and some cameos from Justice League International characters (which made me really happy).

The Art: The different artists managed to make the overall style in this volume stay coherent, which I apprecaited. I liked Sam Keith’s style for Dream best. Dream’s clothing is my favorite thing about the art, as you might have surmised. I loved the three witches (or fates or whatever name they’re going by) and how they look like all the stereotypes of those archetypes combined. The art is creepy and the bad guys are really gross and there’s lots of goopiness everywhere always. I enjoyed seeing Martian Manhunter and Mr. Miracle in a book so completely different from anything else they’re in—the art made them seem like really different characters, even though their behavior was consistent. “A Hope In Hell” had the most fantastic backgrounds. I really loved the issue covers by Dave McKean. They’re not your usual “put random scenes on the comic so people will pick it up!” covers, but instead vague creepy portentous things.

(this review also posted on my blog, http://bahnree.wordpress.com) ( )
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
ISBN: 9781401225759

(this review also posted on my blog, http://bahnree.wordpress.com) ( )
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
It's dark. Very dark. And grotesque, mature, gross, and disturbing. The story is great, however, and with it set into the DC universe, it's fun to see references to DC characters, such as Batman and Constantine. But, the verbosity of grotesque is a bit overbearing, to the point of preventing a full 5 stars. ( )
  atoponce | Jan 29, 2016 |
The beginning of one of the greatest stories ever rendered as a comic, though that potential is not quite realized in this, the first volume. The sandman is the story of dream of the endless, and his family, the living personifications of destiny, desire, death, despair, destruction and delirium. This book itself deals with Dream, ruler of the dreaming and king of stories, being captured by a cult, to be later released so he can seek his revenge, regain his implements of power, set his kingdom to order, and have a much needed scolding from his older sister, death, while she goes about doing her work, guiding those who die to their final rest.

This volume is unique among the sandman saga in that it clearly and regularly overlaps with the dc universe. WHile latr stories are still set there, the series grows apart from the presence of superhereos and villains, and those tropes ascociated with them. The story honestly improves as these elements withdraw. A good start to an even better series. ( )
  John_Juliano | Jan 23, 2016 |

Busch, RobbieColoristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Janiš, ViktorTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, F. PaulIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"But where shall wisdom be found? And where is the place of understanding? Man knoweth not the price thereof; neither is it found in the land of the living... for the price of wisdom is above rubies."

THE BOOK OF JOB, Chapter 28, verses 12, 13, 18
"D is for lots of things."
John Dee, All Fools Day 1989
For Dave Dickson: oldest friend. - Neil Gaiman
To my wife Kathy, my pal Tim, and to everyone in jail. - Sam Kieth
To friends & lovers. To Sam, Malcolm, and Neil; may your talents never dim. You made working on this book an indescribable pleasure. To Karen, Tom and Art (without whom this book would not have been possible), thanks for the time and your super-human patience. Special thanks to Beth, Matte, Sigal, the incomparable Barbara Brandt (a.k.a. Victoria), Rachel, Sean F., Shawn S., Mimi, Gigi, Heather, Yann, Brantski, Mai Li, Berni Wrightson (for Cain & Abel) and, as ever, to Cinamon. - Mike Dringenberg
To Little Malcolm - Malcolm Jones III
"Wake up, sir."
But it's funny. I always thought when I became king...I thought there would be applause.
I though somebody would say something.

Contains issues #1-8: Sleep of the just -- Imperfect hosts -- Dream a little dream of me -- A hope in hell -- Passengers -- 24 hours -- Sound and fury -- The sound of her wings

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446393630, Paperback)

"Wake up, sir. We're here." It's a simple enough opening line--although not many would have guessed back in 1991 that this would lead to one of the most popular and critically acclaimed comics of the second half of the century.

In Preludes and Nocturnes, Neil Gaiman weaves the story of a man interested in capturing the physical manifestation of Death but who instead captures the King of Dreams. By Gaiman's own admission there's a lot in this first collection that is awkward and ungainly--which is not to say there are not frequent moments of greatness here. The chapter "24 Hours" is worth the price of the book alone; it stands as one of the most chilling examples of horror in comics. And let's not underestimate Gaiman's achievement of personifying Death as a perky, overly cheery, cute goth girl! All in all, I greatly prefer the roguish breaking of new ground in this book to the often dull precision of the concluding volumes of the Sandman series. --Jim Pascoe

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:31 -0400)

An occultist attempting to capture Death to bargain for eternal life traps her younger brother, Dream, instead. After his 70 year imprisonment and eventual escape, Dream, a.k.a. The Sandman, goes on a quest for his lost objects of power. Author Neil Gaiman creates an unforgettable tale of the forces that exist beyond life and death by weaving ancient mythology, folklore and fairy tales with his own distinct narrative vision.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible