The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes…

The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes (original 1991; edition 1993)

by Neil Gaiman, Sam Kieth (Illustrator), Mike Dringenberg (Illustrator), Malcolm Jones III (Illustrator)

7,832143428 (4.21)1 / 317
Member:stephmo
Title:The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Sam Kieth (Illustrator), Mike Dringenberg (Illustrator), Malcolm Jones III (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (1993), Edition: Pap/Cdr, Paperback, 240 pages
Tags:graphic novel, series, sandman, listsofbests, readingrants, 500 essential graphic novels, paul gravett's graphic novels to change your life

The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman (1991)

English (137)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (143)
First of all, I am not a comic book reader. I read some "Elfquest" books back in the early 00's, but that's the extent of my experience with the genre.

But a good friend of mine recommended these, so I decided to give them a shot.

And I absolutely, positively LOVED it. Like blown-away loved it. I never realized that comic books could have complex stories, interesting characters, and even a bit of a moral message. I guess I had fallen into the stereotypical belief that they were only for geeky fourteen-year old boys.

I LOVED Morpheus, and even more than that, I loved Death - even though we don't meet her until the end. I hope there's more with both of them in later volumes.

I can't wait to read the next one - the only downside being that these suckers are $20 each and there are twelve of them. Ugh.

sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
It's taken me this long to finally read this series, and I'm wondering how I could have overlooked it for so long? The writing and artwork are great and the foundation was set with the first few issues for such a successful series. ( )
  capiam1234 | Jun 9, 2014 |
Finally got this and read it. It was really cool! So I sprang for the Omnibus edition... it's not cheap but I think in the long run it *is* cheaper than buying the books separately...

So I'm very excited now. I am finally reading the Sandman Series!!!

I did enjoy the first bit of the Lord of Dreams journey, and look forward to getting to know him and his family better as the series goes on. ( )
  Clare_M | May 25, 2014 |
Enjoyed my first foray into the Sandman universe immensely. The story is completely unique while still having some small references to other DC storylines. The artwork is top notch and enjoyed the characters and interesting things happening. Definitely will continue reading next novels. ( )
  briandarvell | Apr 22, 2014 |
Excellent introduction to the character. Sets up in the DC universe and pulls a little from established characters to feel familiar but Niel Gaiman creates a character of his own who, although not a mortal, feels as a mortal can. ( )
  Noonecanstop | Mar 2, 2014 |

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dringenberg, MikeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kieth, SamIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
"But where shall wisdom be found? And where is the place of understanding? Man knoweth not the price thereof; neither is it found in the land of the living... for the price of wisdom is above rubies."

THE BOOK OF JOB, Chapter 28, verses 12, 13, 18
"D is for lots of things."
John Dee, All Fools Day 1989
For Dave Dickson: oldest friend. - Neil Gaiman
To my wife Kathy, my pal Tim, and to everyone in jail. - Sam Kieth
To friends & lovers. To Sam, Malcolm, and Neil; may your talents never dim. You made working on this book an indescribable pleasure. To Karen, Tom and Art (without whom this book would not have been possible), thanks for the time and your super-human patience. Special thanks to Beth, Matte, Sigal, the incomparable Barbara Brandt (a.k.a. Victoria), Rachel, Sean F., Shawn S., Mimi, Gigi, Heather, Yann, Brantski, Mai Li, Berni Wrightson (for Cain & Abel) and, as ever, to Cinamon. - Mike Dringenberg
To Little Malcolm - Malcolm Jones III
"Wake up, sir."
But it's funny. I always thought when I became king...I thought there would be applause.
I though somebody would say something.
Information from the Portuguese (Brazil) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Contains issues #1-8: Sleep of the just -- Imperfect hosts -- Dream a little dream of me -- A hope in hell -- Passengers -- 24 hours -- Sound and fury -- The sound of her wings

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446393630, Paperback)

"Wake up, sir. We're here." It's a simple enough opening line--although not many would have guessed back in 1991 that this would lead to one of the most popular and critically acclaimed comics of the second half of the century.

In Preludes and Nocturnes, Neil Gaiman weaves the story of a man interested in capturing the physical manifestation of Death but who instead captures the King of Dreams. By Gaiman's own admission there's a lot in this first collection that is awkward and ungainly--which is not to say there are not frequent moments of greatness here. The chapter "24 Hours" is worth the price of the book alone; it stands as one of the most chilling examples of horror in comics. And let's not underestimate Gaiman's achievement of personifying Death as a perky, overly cheery, cute goth girl! All in all, I greatly prefer the roguish breaking of new ground in this book to the often dull precision of the concluding volumes of the Sandman series. --Jim Pascoe

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:08 -0400)

An occultist attempting to capture Death to bargain for eternal life traps her younger brother, Dream, instead. After his 70 year imprisonment and eventual escape, Dream, a.k.a. The Sandman, goes on a quest for his lost objects of power. Author Neil Gaiman creates an unforgettable tale of the forces that exist beyond life and death by weaving ancient mythology, folklore and fairy tales with his own distinct narrative vision.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,823,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible