The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes…

The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes (original 1991; edition 1993)

by Neil Gaiman, Sam Kieth (Illustrator), Mike Dringenberg (Illustrator), Malcolm Jones III (Illustrator)

8,661166351 (4.21)1 / 386
Member:stephmo
Title:The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Sam Kieth (Illustrator), Mike Dringenberg (Illustrator), Malcolm Jones III (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (1993), Edition: Pap/Cdr, Paperback, 240 pages
Tags:graphic novel, series, sandman, listsofbests, readingrants, 500 essential graphic novels, paul gravett's graphic novels to change your life

The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman (1991)

English (159)  German (2)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All (1)  Danish (1)  All (166)
I had to stop in the middle because I got too creeped out, but I am glad I finished it now. I can see why this holds the prestigious place it does in geekdom. It has excellent art, interesting characters, and a backstory for the ages. I know there is so much world building I'm missing by not being a comics nerd. But instead of being off-putting, I just want to read more and catch all the things I missed the first time.

Gaiman hardly needs an introduction anymore, and if you like his novels, you should like this. It has the intricacies and art and weirdness that you would expect. This is the story of personified Dream, the caretaker of our sleeping worlds. Dream is captured accidentally, and in the end, humans cause all sorts of problems that Dream must solve before he can go back to being the Sandman. But really, if you want a plot summary, go to the Wikipedia page.

The most prominent part of this story was the creepiness. It is not short on gore, but that isn't even the worst part. The worst/scariest part is the very idea of Dream, of the Sandman. The childhood character was little more than a nursery rhyme before I read this, but now I'm not sure what to think. I'm not sure I'll be sleeping too well tonight. Though maybe I will just have some exciting dreams. ( )
  jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |
In this first volume we meet the Lord of Dreams who is mistakenly captured by a small secret society. When he eventually escapes after outliving his captors, he goes on a quest to reacquire the three vital tools he requires in order to rebuild his kingdom which has fallen into shambles in his absence.

I've been meaning to get around to this series for ages. Pretty decently executed this isn't initially the style of writing I'm used to from Gaiman. The creepy darkness with a sense of whimsy isn't quite there yet. That being said I enjoyed this volume enough that I will definitely be working my way through the rest of the collection. ( )
  MickyFine | Jul 29, 2016 |
Let me make this clear before I complete this book: I'm only reading this because I think I have to.

The story is good, but it's too messy for my taste. Plus, I somehow managed to have weird dreams last night, which I obviously blame on this book. Obviously. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Definitely unique, both is story and artwork. Although I am only vaguely familiar with DC characters, it does seem like a lot of them were shoehorned into the story as an excuse to connection this graphic novel with the rest of the DC universe. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series, but more so because they are dark, gritty, disturbing, and short than anything else. ( )
  PhxDan | May 12, 2016 |
Intriguing... I'm not in love with it (yet), but I am still curious enough to see what happens after this. I am glad I decided to go with this over Walking Dead, clearly much more substance occurring. ( )
  ShayLRoss | Mar 16, 2016 |

Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vozzo, DannyColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berger, KarenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"But where shall wisdom be found? And where is the place of understanding? Man knoweth not the price thereof; neither is it found in the land of the living... for the price of wisdom is above rubies."

THE BOOK OF JOB, Chapter 28, verses 12, 13, 18
"D is for lots of things."
John Dee, All Fools Day 1989
For Dave Dickson: oldest friend. - Neil Gaiman
To my wife Kathy, my pal Tim, and to everyone in jail. - Sam Kieth
To friends & lovers. To Sam, Malcolm, and Neil; may your talents never dim. You made working on this book an indescribable pleasure. To Karen, Tom and Art (without whom this book would not have been possible), thanks for the time and your super-human patience. Special thanks to Beth, Matte, Sigal, the incomparable Barbara Brandt (a.k.a. Victoria), Rachel, Sean F., Shawn S., Mimi, Gigi, Heather, Yann, Brantski, Mai Li, Berni Wrightson (for Cain & Abel) and, as ever, to Cinamon. - Mike Dringenberg
To Little Malcolm - Malcolm Jones III
"Wake up, sir."
But it's funny. I always thought when I became king...I thought there would be applause.
I though somebody would say something.

Contains issues #1-8: Sleep of the just -- Imperfect hosts -- Dream a little dream of me -- A hope in hell -- Passengers -- 24 hours -- Sound and fury -- The sound of her wings

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446393630, Paperback)

"Wake up, sir. We're here." It's a simple enough opening line--although not many would have guessed back in 1991 that this would lead to one of the most popular and critically acclaimed comics of the second half of the century.

In Preludes and Nocturnes, Neil Gaiman weaves the story of a man interested in capturing the physical manifestation of Death but who instead captures the King of Dreams. By Gaiman's own admission there's a lot in this first collection that is awkward and ungainly--which is not to say there are not frequent moments of greatness here. The chapter "24 Hours" is worth the price of the book alone; it stands as one of the most chilling examples of horror in comics. And let's not underestimate Gaiman's achievement of personifying Death as a perky, overly cheery, cute goth girl! All in all, I greatly prefer the roguish breaking of new ground in this book to the often dull precision of the concluding volumes of the Sandman series. --Jim Pascoe

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:31 -0400)

An occultist attempting to capture Death to bargain for eternal life traps her younger brother, Dream, instead. After his 70 year imprisonment and eventual escape, Dream, a.k.a. The Sandman, goes on a quest for his lost objects of power. Author Neil Gaiman creates an unforgettable tale of the forces that exist beyond life and death by weaving ancient mythology, folklore and fairy tales with his own distinct narrative vision.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,790,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible