The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes…

The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes (original 1991; edition 1993)

by Neil Gaiman, Sam Kieth (Illustrator), Mike Dringenberg (Illustrator), Malcolm Jones III (Illustrator)

9,172180326 (4.21)1 / 427
Member:blakslaks
Title:The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Sam Kieth (Illustrator), Mike Dringenberg (Illustrator), Malcolm Jones III (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (1993), Edition: Pap/Cdr, Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:*****

The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman (1991)

English (172)  German (2)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  Danish (1)  All (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All (180)
The first 8 issues of Sandman are collected in this addition. As the forward and afterword state - not the best comics out there. The artwork is engaging, and the characters interesting, but the storylines are all very basic.

Dream, trapped by a wizard, decides to wreak revenge on those who trap him and find his Tools once more. Most of the issues are him finding his tools, little backstory is given, and it's.. basic. Other DC characters make somewhat clumsy appearances. Not much there.

Where Sandman finds its voice, and its intrigue, is in the last issue of the first volume where Death gets introduced. Things begin getting interesting as soon as she tells Dream to stop feeling sorry for himself. Traditional Gaiman comes in, and saves the day via making the comic worth reading more of. We'll see how the rest of the story goes soon. I'm looking forward to seeing how this series became iconic. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
It took me a bit to get into, but I am now utterly fascinated. The incorporation of not only superheroes but mythological beings is beautiful and reminiscent of American Gods, and because of the format, absolutely gorgeous. I can't wait to start the next volume in the Sandman Chronicles. ( )
  m_mozeleski | May 13, 2018 |
I very rarely read graphic novels. In fact, I have only read one other prior to this: Watchmen. But I like Neil Gaiman, and wanted to give it a try.

Surprisingly to me, I really enjoyed reading Preludess and Nocturnes, and plan on continuing with the series. ( )
  abergsman | Mar 20, 2018 |
Big fan so far. There were some references that went over my head since I've never read Constantine or Justice League, but I still liked it a lot. I've read all of Gaiman's novels so this is the perfect way to get a fix of his weird vibe. ( )
  plumtingz | Dec 14, 2017 |
Wonderful start to the Sandman series. A fun, world-building setup. A few issues were a little 'miss' more than 'hit', but on the whole it was a good start. Looking forward to the second collection. (The Hershey Library has all 10 volumes [so far].) ( )
  BenKline | Nov 15, 2017 |

Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vozzo, DannyColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berger, KarenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"But where shall wisdom be found? And where is the place of understanding? Man knoweth not the price thereof; neither is it found in the land of the living... for the price of wisdom is above rubies."
-- The Book of Job, chapter 28, verses 12, 13, 18
"D is for lots of things."
-- John Dee, All Fools' Day 1989
For Dave Dickson: oldest friend.
-- Neil Gaiman
To my wife Kathy, my pal Tim, and to everyone in jail.
-- Sam Kieth
To friends and lovers. To Sam, Malcolm, and Neil; may your talents never dim. You made working on this book an indescribable pleasure. To Karen, Tom and Art (without whom this book would not have been possible), thanks for the time and your super-human patience. Special thanks to Beth, Matte, Sigal, the incomparable Barbara Brandt (a.k.a. Victoria), Rachel, Sean F., Shawn S., Mimi, Gigi, Heather, Yann, Brantski, Mai Li, Berni Wrightson (for Cain and Abel) and, as ever, to Cinnamon.
-- Mike Dringenberg
To Little Malcolm.
-- Malcolm Jones III
Wake up, sir. We're here.
But it's funny. I always thought when I became king...
I thought there would be applause.
I though somebody would say something.

Contains issues #1-8: Sleep of the just -- Imperfect hosts -- Dream a little dream of me -- A hope in hell -- Passengers -- 24 hours -- Sound and fury -- The sound of her wings

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446393630, Paperback)

"Wake up, sir. We're here." It's a simple enough opening line--although not many would have guessed back in 1991 that this would lead to one of the most popular and critically acclaimed comics of the second half of the century.

In Preludes and Nocturnes, Neil Gaiman weaves the story of a man interested in capturing the physical manifestation of Death but who instead captures the King of Dreams. By Gaiman's own admission there's a lot in this first collection that is awkward and ungainly--which is not to say there are not frequent moments of greatness here. The chapter "24 Hours" is worth the price of the book alone; it stands as one of the most chilling examples of horror in comics. And let's not underestimate Gaiman's achievement of personifying Death as a perky, overly cheery, cute goth girl! All in all, I greatly prefer the roguish breaking of new ground in this book to the often dull precision of the concluding volumes of the Sandman series. --Jim Pascoe

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:31 -0400)

A collection of eight comics that introduce the series' lead character, the Sandman, Lord of Dreams.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,518,409 books! | Top bar: Always visible