Sacred Hunger by Barry Unsworth

Sacred Hunger (original 1992; edition 2008)

by Barry Unsworth

1,045None8,051 (4.05)126
Member:PaulCranswick
Title:Sacred Hunger
Authors:Barry Unsworth
Info:Penguin (2008), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 640 pages
Collections:Your library, Modern Fiction

Sacred Hunger by Barry Unsworth (1992)

4.5 ( )
  gaeta1 | Nov 9, 2013 |
Absolutely gutting. ( )
  nrmaharaj | Mar 28, 2013 |
Historical fiction, brings the 18th century slave trade spread throughout the English colonies to life. The sailors and slaves aboard a disease-infested ship mutiny and set up a refuge in the wilds of Florida. Avarice floats this boat, and William Kemp, a failing merchant, has a bent love interest he is trying to buy. Prepare to weep.
  keylawk | Dec 22, 2012 |
Going beyond the territory of the average historical novel, this raises question about the malleability of human nature. Great characters, a gripping story. ( )
  adzebill | Jul 19, 2012 |
Such an unsettling book. One that demanded more from my senses, emotions, thoughts than I ever expected it would. It preoccupied me, it made me feel sick, it taught me, it even entertained me at times, but rarely. It was not that kind of book, not the kind you can read for entertainment or enlightment alone. Rather it is a book that demands, that contorts, that expands and contracts your heart til it cracks. A book where the author demands the reader pay the price of turning the page. In [a:Ethan Canin|50743|Ethan Canin|http://www.goodreads.com/images/nophoto/nophoto-U-50x66.jpg]'s review on NPR he said: "I like my masterpieces straight up. It's 640 pages without a literary trick. NO experimentation with prose. No stream of consciousness. Just page after page of the most harrowing and vivid writing . . . I first came upon this book nearly a decade ago; it moved me as deeply as anything I'd ever read." How many books make that claim on the reader? This one does. ( )
3 vote nkmunn | Jun 1, 2011 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

According to Charles Townsend Mather, the mulatto was dark amber in colour and grey-haired and nearly blind.
"The kneading of memory makes the dough of fiction, which, as we know, can go on yeasting for ever; [...]." (2)

En route to America with a cargo of African slaves, the crew of the Liverpool Merchant, enraged at the captain's impotence in the face of disease, carry out a mutiny that pits two cousins against each other.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,412,123 books! | Top bar: Always visible