Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Saddlemaker's Wife (Berkley Prime Crime…

The Saddlemaker's Wife (Berkley Prime Crime Mysteries) (edition 2007)

by Earlene Fowler

Member:shadowelf76
Title:The Saddlemaker's Wife (Berkley Prime Crime Mysteries)
Authors:Earlene Fowler
Info:Berkley (2007), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, Novels, Read 2014, Reviewed
Rating:*****
Tags:Ruby McGavin series, California, Mystery, Reviewed

The Saddlemaker's Wife by Earlene Fowler

This is actual hard for me to review fairly because I've also read "Road to Cardinal Valley", which was a total let-down.

But that's beside the point.

"The Saddlemaker's Wife" had wonderfully three-dimensional characters, and the mystery kept me interested the whole time, even though I had it figured out pretty quickly. The little glimpses the author gave into each character's thoughts were fascinating. I absolutely loved the coffee shop owner and "Blue Christmas". The teenager with the ever-changing hair was fun too. The romance aspect was also cute without being over-bearing, even if it did end in a cliff-hanger, and the descriptions of small town life were wonderful.

So I'll give it five stars, on it's own merits.

If you do read it and enjoy it, though, I would personally suggest leaving "The Road to Cardinal Valley" on whatever shelf (or garbage can, if you're looking for my copy) you find it on. I was terribly excited to see there was a sequel, and nothing would do me but to get my hands on it. Then I did. And now I wish I hadn't. But that's a different review all together. I'll just saying that finding out the end of the cliff-hanger isn't worth it. ( )
  shadowelf76 | May 2, 2015 |
I really liked the depth of these characters and the atmosphere of the story. I appreciated the Blue Christmas idea. I look forward to reading more of Earlene Fowler. I had not tried her before. I'm looking forward to Road to Cardinal Valley. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
A little romance-y for my taste, but a great read. ( )
1 vote krsball | Mar 22, 2007 |
The entire law is summed up in a single command: Love your neighbor as yourself --Galatians 5:14
Like a horse in open country, they did not stumble; like cattle that go down to the plain, they were given rest by the Spirit of the Lord. --Isaiah 63:13-14
For Allen, with all my love
Years later Ruby would drive up to the pasture where the rescued horses still lived.

The last thing Ruby McGavin thought she would be doing after her husband, Cole, died was meeting his family. He had claimed his relatives were all dead, and she didn't know him long enough--they were only married one year--to think otherwise. But it turns out that members of Cole's family, from a small ranch town in California, are very much alive, and they show up on Ruby's doorstep with the news that she has inherited some land from her husband. Ruby knows something about family turmoil, but she's hardly prepared for the turbulence surrounding the McGavin clan. As she attempts to sell the land back to the McGavins, she teams up with Lucas, one of Cole's brothers, to try to get to the core of the secret that is eating away at the family. With each step toward the answer, Ruby musters the courage to face her own familial demons

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425215784, Mass Market Paperback)

Ruby McGavin has inherited part of a cattle ranch from her late husband, only to discover that his family is very much alive, in contrast to what he told her. Even as she is drawn to handsome saddlemaker Lucas McGavin, she learns more about her late husband's family-and wonders if she ever really knew him.

Piecing together the truth, Ruby uncovers a legacy of pain and denial that has pursued the McGavin family for too long.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:16 -0400)

Inheriting shares in a cattle ranch in Tokopah County from her late husband, Ruby McGavin discovers that her late husband's family is very much alive and heads for California to find out the truth, encountering a host of secrets along the way.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,496,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible