Diary of a Nobody (Wordsworth Classics) by…

Diary of a Nobody (Wordsworth Classics) (original 1892; edition 1994)

by George Grossmith, Weedon Grossmith

2,287682,784 (3.74)1 / 268
Member:JonnySaunders
Title:Diary of a Nobody (Wordsworth Classics)
Authors:George Grossmith
Other authors:Weedon Grossmith
Info:Wordsworth Editions Ltd (1994), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 176 pages
Collections:Owned - Kindle Copy, Read, Your library
Tags:1001 Books

The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith (Author) (1892)

Recently added bytelopea, CandaceVan, weetab, private library, katcoviello, mettonbooks, wm3395, avalinah
Legacy LibrariesArthur Ransome, Barbara Pym, Evelyn Waugh

A pleasant enough story about a bumbling, Mr. Bean type character. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
This book reads similar to a blog, only in the 19th Century. It's not extraordinary, but certainly amusing and at times laugh of loud funny. I rarely read books which can be considered comic, therefor it was rather a nice change of pace. ( )
  zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |
A humorous book about a normal man in the 19th century suburbs of London. Although not particularly funny, it is a nice way to better understand life in the 19th century. ( )
  M_Clark | Mar 12, 2016 |
This is one of my comfort books. Read it a million times and it still makes me smile. ( )
  EnidaV | Mar 10, 2016 |
Mr. Pooter decides to keep a diary in the hopes of one day becoming the Pepys of the late Victorian era. He is a clerk of a somewhat stuffy and pompous nature but with a love of bad puns and jokes (luckily for him his wife shares his sense of humor!).

I found him a little reminiscent of "The Irish R.M." in his never-ending series of domestic mishaps - both of these books amuse yet puzzle me. As a person who has never even seen a domestic servant much less employed one, the battle of control between master & servant baffles me to some extent. It clearly baffles Mr. Pooter as well! He persists in thinking that he is the master and so is deserving of respect despite the fact that he rarely gets that respect even from his own son.

Grossmith's satire has captured the beginning of the end for the middle-class Victorian way of life with Pooter and his son. Pooter's worries about his son Lupin's future could be seen as a reflection of a greater concern about security and expectations for the middle-class workers and their families if the rigidity of the old-fashioned methods gives way, while Lupin's attitudes point up the impatience of the rising generation with the adherence to outmoded ideas and practices. ( )
1 vote leslie.98 | Jan 27, 2016 |

Palmer, GeoffreyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Squire, J. C.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
THE DIARY OF A NOBODY
originally appeared in Punch
and is re-published by permission of the publishers
Messrs Bradbury and Agnew
The Diary has been since considerably added to
The excellent title was suggested
by our mutual friend
F. C. BURNAND
to whom we have
the great pleasure of dedicating this volume
GEORGE GROSSMITH
WEEDON GROSSMITH
London, June, 1892
My dear wife Carrie and I have just been a week in our new house, "The Laurels," Brickfield Terrace, Holloway -- a nice six-roomed residence, not counting basement, with a front breakfast-parlour.
He may wear what he likes in the future, for I shall never drive with him again. His conduct was shocking. When we passed Highgate Archway, he tried to pass everything and everybody. He shouted to respectable people who were walking quietly in the road to get out of the way; he flicked at the horse of an old man who was riding, causing it to rear; and, as I had to ride backwards, I was compelled to face a gang of roughs in a donkey-cart, whom Lupin had chaffed, and who turned and followed us for nearly a mile, bellowing, indulging in coarse jokes and laughter, to say nothing of occasionally pelting us with orange-peel.
"It was mentioned in the Bicycle News."
I told Sarah not to bring up the blanc-mange again for breakfast. It seems to have been placed on our table at every meal since Wednesday… In spite of my instructions, that blanc-mange was brought up again for supper. To make matters worse, there had been an attempt to disguise it, by placing it in a glass dish with jam round it...I told Carrie, when we were alone, if that blanc-mange were placed on the table again I should walk out of the house.

Channelling a razor-sharp satire through the everyday mishaps of the immortal comic character Mr Pooter, George and Weedon. Grossmith's "The Diary of a Nobody" is edited with an introduction and notes by Ed Glinert in "Penguin Classics". Mr Pooter is a man of modest ambitions, content with his ordinary life. Yet he always seems to be troubled by disagreeable tradesmen, impertinent young office clerks and wayward friends, not to mention his devil-may-care son Lupin with his unsuitable choice of bride. In the bumbling, absurd, yet ultimately endearing character of Pooter, the Grossmith brothers created a wonderful portrait of the class system and the inherent snobbishness of the suburban middle-class suburbia - one which sends up the late Victorian crazes for Aestheticism, spiritualism and bicycling, as well as the fashion for publishing diaries by anybody and everybody. This edition contains the original illustrations by Weedon Grossmith and an introduction by Ed Glinert, author of "The London Compendium", discussing the novel's serialisation in "Punch", the growth of the suburbs and the figure of Mrs Pooter. George Grossmith (1847-1912) initially worked as a journalist, reporting Police Court proceedings for "The Times". In 1870 he began his career as a singer and entertainer, creating some of the most memorable characters in Gilbert and Sullivan's operettas. Weedon Grossmith (1854-1919) brother of George, was educated at the Slade and the Royal Academy with a view to following a career as a painter, and exhibited at the Grosvenor Gallery and the Royal Academy. Joining a theatre company in 1885, he toured the provinces and America. The best-known of his many plays, "The Night of the Party", was published in 1901. If you enjoyed "The Diary of a Nobody", you might like Jerome K. Jerome's "Three Men in a Boat", also available in "Penguin Classics". "The funniest book in the world." ("Evelyn Waugh"). "True humour ...with its mixture of absurdity, irony and affection ...a masterpiece, immortal." (J.B. Priestley).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:22 -0400)

First serialized in Punch in 1888, The Diary of a Nobody is the record of fifteen months in the life of Charles Pooter a mundane and upright city clerk his family, friends, and small circle of acquaintances. It is a humorous record of the manners, customs, and experiences of Londoners in the late-Victorian era. The term Pooterish," which denotes someone who takes himself excessively seriously has remained a part of British parlance ever since. The book itself has never been out of print since its original publication in 1892.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140437320, 0241956862

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,222,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible