Diary of a Nobody (Wordsworth Classics) by…

Diary of a Nobody (Wordsworth Classics) (original 1892; edition 1994)

by George Grossmith, Weedon Grossmith

Member:JonnySaunders
Title:Diary of a Nobody (Wordsworth Classics)
Authors:George Grossmith
Other authors:Weedon Grossmith
Info:Wordsworth Editions Ltd (1994), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 176 pages
Collections:Owned - Kindle Copy, Read, Your library
Tags:1001 Books

The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith (1892)

1001 (23) 1001 books (31) 1890s (14) 19th century (92) 19th century fiction (13) British (45) British literature (27) classic (49) classic fiction (17) classics (40) comedy (24) diary (59) ebook (23) England (41) English (27) English literature (37) fiction (399) Folio (11) Folio Society (75) humor (257) Kindle (26) literature (33) London (31) novel (52) read (23) satire (30) to-read (35) UK (12) unread (18) Victorian (43)

I'm sorry. This is supposed to be one of the funniest of books - according to the English. Huh? It is only mildly amusing. When you finish it, you'll ask, "So what?"
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
The diary of Charles Pooter, a clerk in the City of London at the end of the nineteenth century, who doesn't see why he shouldn't have just as much right to publish his diary as the next man. As the epigraph says:

Why should I not publish my diary? I have often seen reminiscences of people I have never even herd of, and I fail to see - because I do not happen to be a 'Somebody' - why my diary should not be interesting. My only regret is that I did not commence it when I was a youth'

So in this gentle comedy we are introduced to Pooter's wife Carrie, his friends Cummings and Gowing, and above all to his only son Lupin, whose relationship to his father proves without a doubt that the generation gap was not invented in the 1960s! For while Pooter is respectable, conservative and intensely loyal to the firm for which he has worked for over 20 years, Lupin is prone to losing his job, getting home in the early hours of the morning, getting up at lunchtime and is a mystery and a worry to his father. But above all the book pokes fun (in a gentle way) at Mr Pooter's constant attempts to maintain his status as a lower-middle class gentleman in his residence at Brickfields Terrace, constantly thwarted by dealings with prosperous tradesmen who think themselves every bit as good as he is.

This isn't laugh out loud funny, but it is a gentle humour which has stood the test of time. ( )
  SandDune | May 17, 2014 |
Lightly entertaining and funny while it lasted, but I found it quite unmemorable. It ended suddenly and without any real developments, which was too bad, as it seemed to be going somewhere. ( )
  emanate28 | Apr 24, 2014 |
A quick but enjoyable read. Very dry humour. ( )
  rlangston | Apr 17, 2014 |
Fun and full of laughs. nice find for free on the Kindle. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |

George Grossmithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grossmith, WeedonAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Grossmith, WeedonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lawrence, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Squire, J. C.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
THE DIARY OF A NOBODY
originally appeared in Punch
and is re-published by permission of the publishers
Messrs Bradbury and Agnew
The Diary has been since considerably added to
The excellent title was suggested
by our mutual friend
F. C. BURNAND
to whom we have
the great pleasure of dedicating this volume
GEORGE GROSSMITH
WEEDON GROSSMITH
London, June, 1892
My dear wife Carrie and I have just been a week in our new house, "The Laurels," Brickfield Terrace, Holloway -- a nice six-roomed residence, not counting basement, with a front breakfast-parlour.
He may wear what he likes in the future, for I shall never drive with him again. His conduct was shocking. When we passed Highgate Archway, he tried to pass everything and everybody. He shouted to respectable people who were walking quietly in the road to get out of the way; he flicked at the horse of an old man who was riding, causing it to rear; and, as I had to ride backwards, I was compelled to face a gang of roughs in a donkey-cart, whom Lupin had chaffed, and who turned and followed us for nearly a mile, bellowing, indulging in coarse jokes and laughter, to say nothing of occasionally pelting us with orange-peel.
"It was mentioned in the Bicycle News."
I told Sarah not to bring up the blanc-mange again for breakfast. It seems to have been placed on our table at every meal since Wednesday… In spite of my instructions, that blanc-mange was brought up again for supper. To make matters worse, there had been an attempt to disguise it, by placing it in a glass dish with jam round it...I told Carrie, when we were alone, if that blanc-mange were placed on the table again I should walk out of the house.

Channelling a razor-sharp satire through the everyday mishaps of the immortal comic character Mr Pooter, George and Weedon. Grossmith's "The Diary of a Nobody" is edited with an introduction and notes by Ed Glinert in "Penguin Classics". Mr Pooter is a man of modest ambitions, content with his ordinary life. Yet he always seems to be troubled by disagreeable tradesmen, impertinent young office clerks and wayward friends, not to mention his devil-may-care son Lupin with his unsuitable choice of bride. In the bumbling, absurd, yet ultimately endearing character of Pooter, the Grossmith brothers created a wonderful portrait of the class system and the inherent snobbishness of the suburban middle-class suburbia - one which sends up the late Victorian crazes for Aestheticism, spiritualism and bicycling, as well as the fashion for publishing diaries by anybody and everybody. This edition contains the original illustrations by Weedon Grossmith and an introduction by Ed Glinert, author of "The London Compendium", discussing the novel's serialisation in "Punch", the growth of the suburbs and the figure of Mrs Pooter. George Grossmith (1847-1912) initially worked as a journalist, reporting Police Court proceedings for "The Times". In 1870 he began his career as a singer and entertainer, creating some of the most memorable characters in Gilbert and Sullivan's operettas. Weedon Grossmith (1854-1919) brother of George, was educated at the Slade and the Royal Academy with a view to following a career as a painter, and exhibited at the Grosvenor Gallery and the Royal Academy. Joining a theatre company in 1885, he toured the provinces and America. The best-known of his many plays, "The Night of the Party", was published in 1901. If you enjoyed "The Diary of a Nobody", you might like Jerome K. Jerome's "Three Men in a Boat", also available in "Penguin Classics". "The funniest book in the world." ("Evelyn Waugh"). "True humour ...with its mixture of absurdity, irony and affection ...a masterpiece, immortal." (J.B. Priestley).

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:35 -0400)

First serialized in Punch in 1888, The Diary of a Nobody is the record of fifteen months in the life of Charles Pooter a mundane and upright city clerk his family, friends, and small circle of acquaintances. It is a humorous record of the manners, customs, and experiences of Londoners in the late-Victorian era. The term Pooterish," which denotes someone who takes himself excessively seriously has remained a part of British parlance ever since. The book itself has never been out of print since its original publication in 1892.… (more)

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140437320, 0241956862

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,498,716 books! | Top bar: Always visible