Porch Lies: Tales of Slicksters, Tricksters,…

Porch Lies: Tales of Slicksters, Tricksters, and other Wily Characters

by Patricia McKissack

Great for an African American folk perspective on popular tall-tales ( )
  mccandlessn | Apr 6, 2014 |
This was a great book to listen to-the readers did a wonderful job of making me feel like I was out on the porch on a summer night, sitting back and listening to some porch lies. A great book to share as a family, too. ( )
  jfoster_sf | May 10, 2012 |
Subjects/Content Studies/AASL Standards:
Tall Tales, African American Oral Storytelling, Family, Culture.

4.2.4 Show an appreciation
for literature by
electing to read
for pleasure and
expressing an interest
in various literary
genres.
  elizabethwallmacht | Jul 22, 2010 |
I have to admit I was rather disappointed in this book. The design is beautiful, and it's easy to be sucked in by Andre Carrilho's great illustrations, which invoke both humor and horror in early 20th century settings. McKissack's stories, however, are really wanting. She sets up the book as if it contains popular African-American folklore (which I was expecting), or at very least, stories she heard as a child. Based on the little introductions to each tale, though, it looks like they were merely "inspired" by pre-existing persons and legends, such as the famous story of Robert Johnson and the Devil.

All of that is very well - I certainly don't mind a new spin on old material. The problem is I didn't find most of the stories terribly unique. It's pretty easy to tell where each one is going shortly after it starts, and even then, the "punch" of the story is frequently obscured by an anti-climactic ending. I kept reading because I kept believing the stories would get funnier, scarier, or just more grandiose than they really were. Most of them just never seemed to realize their potential. Happily, the best story in the book is the last one - the two-part tale of "Cake Norris Lives On" - but it doesn't do enough on its own to save the whole book from feeling rather average. ( )
  saroz | Jun 16, 2010 |
I don't think kids would just pick this book up to read cover-to-cover, but there are some excellent short stories and this is a great resource for teachers. Each short story can stand alone and has its own merits. I think this book would serve very well as a mentor text and for historical fiction. I liked "The Devil's Guitar" and "The Greatest Lie Ever Told." The writing really stands out in that every story really sounds like a story an older relative might tell you that you're not quite sure whether or not to believe. ( )
  josier80 | Jul 5, 2009 |

Side-splittingly funny, spine-chillingly spooky, this companion to a Newbery Honor–winning anthology The Dark Thirty is filled with bad characters who know exactly how to charm.

From the author's note that takes us back to McKissack's own childhood when she would listen to stories told on her front porch... to the captivating introductions to each tale, in which the storyteller introduces himself and sets the stage for what follows... to the ten entertaining tales themselves, here is a worthy successor to McKissack's The Dark Thirty. In "The Best Lie Ever Told," meet Dooley Hunter, a trickster who spins an enormous whopper at the State Liar's contest. In "Aunt Gran and the Outlaws," watch a little old lady slickster ousmart Frank and Jesse James. And in "Cake Norris Lives On," come face to face with a man some folks believe may have died up to twenty-seven different times!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:42 -0400)

A collection of stories told on the front porch of the authors grandparents' house.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,397,670 books! | Top bar: Always visible