Runaway by Wendelin Van Draanen

Runaway (2006)

by Wendelin Van Draanen

Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff (amysisson)
    To Take a Dare by Crescent Dragonwagon (amysisson)
    amysisson: Slightly more adult in its content, but just as beautifully written.

Sad story, written in a journal format. The ending seemed very unlikely, but possible. ( )
  pidgeon92 | Apr 1, 2013 |
This was a pretty good book. I liked the character and the voice that was used. There was enough excitement to keep me interested. ( )
  ShannaRedwind | Mar 31, 2013 |
Holly can't take the abuse anymore from her current foster family and at the tender age of twelve decides to run away. This is her story told in journal fashion. Although this is a fictional book, the sad thing is that somewhere out there it IS a child's real life or some version of.

My heart went out to Holly, and I wanted to reach through the pages of this fictional world, grab her into the real world and smother her with love. Author did a fantastic job of putting you right into the story. It's a young adult book with an adult punch. Recommend!! ( )
  justablondemoment | Jul 3, 2010 |
Amazing book. Realistic and poetic. One of the few books about running away--- if it doesn't get the New-Berry award I don't know what will. ( )
  Carolyn7727 | Apr 4, 2010 |
It's about this one girl her mother died. Now she lives with her aunt.Shes having trouble in life she writes in her journal about her feelings. Whenever she gets in trouble in school the teacher sends her into a laundry room for a couple of hours with a cold blanket, a pillow and a bucket to pee in. If shes thirsty she will open the washer machine then drink the water. ( )
  MrFClass | Nov 13, 2009 |
It's cold.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440421098, Mass Market Paperback)

"It's a cold, hard, cruel fact that my mother loved heroin more than she loved me."

Holly is in her fifth foster home in two years and she's had enough. She's run away before and always been caught quickly. But she's older and wiser now--she's twelve--and this time she gets away clean.

Through tough and tender and angry and funny journal entries, Holly spills out her story. We travel with her across the country--hopping trains, scamming food, sleeping in parks or homeless encampments. And we also travel with her across the gaping holes in her heart--as she finally comes to terms with her mother's addiction and death.

Runaway is a remarkably uplifting portrait of a girl still young and stubborn and naive enough to hold out hope for finding a better place in the world, and within herself, to be.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:40 -0400)

After running away from her fifth foster home, Holly, a twelve-year-old orphan, travels across the country, keeping a journal of her experiences and struggle to survive.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,152,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible