Runaway by Wendelin Van Draanen

Runaway (2006)

by Wendelin Van Draanen

Recently added bySalsabrarian, HeatherLINC, private library, KaceeCul, leselotte, ART443
    Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff (amysisson)
    To Take a Dare by Crescent Dragonwagon (amysisson)
    amysisson: Slightly more adult in its content, but just as beautifully written.

Given the target age group for this book, the day-to-day realities of a homeless 12-year-old girl are a bit sanitized. But there's enough gritty detail and realism about Holly's situation and background for young readers to empathize or even identify with. Lib notes: Discussion of mother's addiction to heroin, Holly's shoplifting, description of child abuse at a foster home, scenes of potential sexual abuse or rape (but Holly gets away). ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I thoroughly enjoyed "Runaway" and found it difficult to put down. Twelve year old Holly was an engaging character with a wonderful voice. She was sassy and tough, yet at the same time heart-wrenchingly vulnerable and determined to survive. Many an ocassion Holly made me smile, but at other times I felt so sorry for her as she constantly battled to find food, warmth and a way to keep clean. I liked the diary format of the book as Holly writes in the journal her English teacher gave her. She begins by venting her anger at Ms Leone but gradually she shares her fears, her past and her dreams, and discovers she has a way with poety. This is second book I've read by this author and am impressed with her ability to write such inspiring stories. I will certainly be looking for her other books. A touching read! ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
Sad story, written in a journal format. The ending seemed very unlikely, but possible. ( )
  pidgeon92 | Apr 1, 2013 |
It's cold.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440421098, Mass Market Paperback)

"It's a cold, hard, cruel fact that my mother loved heroin more than she loved me."

Holly is in her fifth foster home in two years and she's had enough. She's run away before and always been caught quickly. But she's older and wiser now--she's twelve--and this time she gets away clean.

Through tough and tender and angry and funny journal entries, Holly spills out her story. We travel with her across the country--hopping trains, scamming food, sleeping in parks or homeless encampments. And we also travel with her across the gaping holes in her heart--as she finally comes to terms with her mother's addiction and death.

Runaway is a remarkably uplifting portrait of a girl still young and stubborn and naive enough to hold out hope for finding a better place in the world, and within herself, to be.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:40 -0400)

After running away from her fifth foster home, Holly, a twelve-year-old orphan, travels across the country, keeping a journal of her experiences and struggle to survive.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,160,941 books! | Top bar: Always visible