Siren by Tricia Rayburn

Title:Siren
Authors:Tricia Rayburn
Info:EgmontUSA (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages

Siren by Tricia Rayburn

English (30)  Italian (1)  All languages (31)
I thought this book was just ok. This book was yet another young adult book that was clouded in mystery, so much so that it took away from the story, I understand the sleuthing and figuring out the mystery is part of the story but I just couldn't dive head first into the story when it was just so clouded. I love the idea of the Siren and how the author took a myth and legend and made it her own. I also like Simon, the meteorologist, he is just to cute.

I have been reading a lot of young adult books that have the serious mystery cloud, so maybe YA isn't for me. What do you all think, did you find this book holds back too much from the reader or did you think it was just right? ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
RATING: 3.5 stars-ish.

How to put into words what I felt when reading this book? I think I already mentioned those sorts of books you know aren't perfect and you know lack something but still like very much. I think the Siren books are those types of books for me. As was Warped for example.

I think I've said this before, but I love Mermaids. I also might have mentioned that my love for mermaids was born when I first watched The Little Mermaid. Until today it is one of my favorite movies (Disney or otherwise) ever.

Still, I am not a kid anymore and while I love the idea of cute, cuddly mermaids as much as the next person, I want a bit more 'realism' (if you can have that with mythological creatures). I want mermaids (or sirens, if you want to be technical, which is a bit different, but oh well) that lure sailors to their doom. Mermaids that are other not just cuddly humans with tails. At the very least, if they have to be human, make them flawed. After all that's how they are portrayed in the old stories and myths. And that is how they're portrayed in this book.

Sure, the book is flawed. Sure, the pacing is rather odd, at least in the beginning when we seem to be missing large chunks of time because the author jumps between scenes and leaves information behind. And sure, the plot is predictable, mostly, and the character development leaves a bit to be desired (the friendship between Vanessa and Paige was unbelievably abrupt and the fact that Vanessa only noticed Simon after he became a hunk was pretty annoying).

But alas, cute mermaids you do not have in this book. And that is a huge positive in my book (ahah). These mermaids (that are also sirens) are ruthless because they are intoxicated by their powers. I liked the fact that Rayburn wasn't afraid of showing the dark side of human nature (the whole "power corrupts..." thing). I will say that some things in the first book will not make much sense without reading the second book. For example it is never clearly explained why the sirens drown men and why they want to drown them. It is implied that it is because they can, which is a rather weird reason. Further explanation is only given in the second book.

So, "Siren" is not a perfect book, far from it. But the fact that the author wasn't afraid to portray mermaids as more than good people with fins and also the fact that there was no love triangle or insta love made me like this book quite a lot. I'd have liked it more if Vanessa wasn't such a 'goody two-shoes' but she's the protagonist after all.

Overall: I ended up liking this book a lot more than I expected. Yes, the beginning is a bit rocky and yes, Vanessa isn't a memorable character, but I liked the general pacing and the general concept. The last few chapters have the same problem as the first few (confusing writing) but overall I thought it was a nice book and there is no love triangle! ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
Although I tend to devour young adult novels like a lion setting on an antelope, I am often disappointed by my reading. For some reason, this does not make me crave the paranormal teen stories any less. You will still see me drooling (not literally, I hope) over the latest novels about vampires, mermaids/sirens, werewolves, fairies, unicorns, etc. I am happy to report that Siren, while not the best of the best, is a good solid read and that I am looking forward to reading the sequel, which is good since my friend brought it back from ALA for me. So yay, the book is not as fail as the cover. That is just terrifying!

Of the various paranormal topics, mermaids/sirens (which area apparently interchangeable?) are definitely among my least favorites. I have read two practically in a row this week, not because I planned it, but just because that's how it happened. I definitely recommend Siren over Lost Voices for those looking for a novel about sirens, although really the sirens are rather different. Rayburn's focus on individual males, rather than taking down whole ships at once. Singing is less important here, replaced by almost a sort of mindspeak with their victims (although they do sing occasionally). Most overtly, these sirens do not seem to have tails of any sort (I can't tell you how much I thought Vanessa was going to walk in on one in the bathtub and see she had a tail like in the movie Splash); they're just women who need to drink salt water and can be underwater for a really long time.

Vanessa made a good main character, with a very human set of weaknesses but the inner strength to overcome them when she really needs to. Simon and Caleb were both great guys in completely different ways. Of course, I would want a Simon for myself; he's just so adorably nerdy sounding. :-)

Siren is a great beach read, although maybe not for those who are easily terrified by literature. You don't want to be afraid to go in the water on your holiday! ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Apr 1, 2013 |
This book has a lot of brilliant reviews but personally, I was completey unimpressed. I was at least half way through the book before I found out anything that I hadn't known from reading the back cover. I really dislike it when the description gives away the whole story- it makes reading the book feel rather pointless. I didn't connect with any of the characters, and didn't really care what happened to them. I can't really find many faults with the book... it was fine. Just not for me, I suppose. Normally I'm willing to give sequels a go but I have no desire to read the next book. ( )
  nicola26 | Mar 30, 2013 |
I finished this only barely and thought about giving up. I didn't like any of the characters and I thought it was just ridiculous. ( )
  Elysianfield | Mar 30, 2013 |

After her sister's sudden death, seventeen-year-old Vanessa investigates a series of inexplicable drownings off the coast of Winter Harbor, Maine, and uncovers an unimaginable secret that changes everything.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,391,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible