Son of Hamas: A Gripping Account of Terror,…

Son of Hamas: A Gripping Account of Terror, Betrayal, Political Intrigue,… (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Mosab Hassan Yousef, Brackin Ron Brackin (Contributor)

Member:vancouverdeb
Title:Son of Hamas: A Gripping Account of Terror, Betrayal, Political Intrigue, and Unthinkable Choices
Authors:Mosab Hassan Yousef
Other authors:Brackin Ron Brackin (Contributor)
Info:SaltRiver (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 304 pages

Son of Hamas by Mosab Hassan Yousef (2010)

Recently added byprivate library, lori-anne, aubreylively, agering, fredcarbunkle, fbc-cslibrary, martineagle
    In the Land of Invisible Women by Qanta Ahmed (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: A view of Islam from a woman who grew up in a Muslim family in the West. She describes her difficult experiences as a woman in Saudi Arabia. Unlike Yousef, she does not find hate and violence in the Koran. Instead she finds love and tolerance, which she hopes will influence policy in the more restrictive Islamic countries.… (more)
    Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: This book has a similar view of Islam as Son of Hamas, so it does not balance, but is also a very intense perspective of life in a culture that does not permit diverse thought.

At first I was angered by this book. I almost didn't finish it. I'm glad I did. My heart goes out to this man. He say the error of his ways, changed his beliefs, is trying to make a difference in his life. He only knew what he was brought up to believe. However, he learned the word of God and changed. Great book to read. Just don't give up on it, we'll worth it! ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |

cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |
I haven't read much so far, and I am duly and genuinely shocked, just as I am supposed to be, about the terrible things the Israelis did on a daily basis to the occupants of the Gaza strip. I am not terribly impressed with the glossing-over of the 'guaranteed-non-violent, peaceful, moderate' stance of Hamas during this time. When I read, continually and in detail, that the Israelis often shot innocent Palestinians for just being Palestinians but that a Palestinian just went and shot a couple of Israelis and took their guns and then that became a way for them to get arms all in one sentence I begin to suspect that this book, by a Christian convert, is more the wolf wearing the Lamb of Peace's clothing.

A sentence like, "Then Israel decided to secretly deport 415 leaders...". It wasn't very secret then, was it? And, following on from this, "The men were driven to a snow-covered no-man's-land in Southern Lebanon. Although we were in the middle of a bitter winter, they were dumped there with no shelter or provisions. Neither Israel nor Lebanon would allow relief agencies to deliver food or medicine. Beirut refused to transport the sick and injured to its hospitals."

Then, in the next paragraph, "A couple of weeks later, we finally saw him [his father:] on television for the first time since his deportation. Apparently Hamas members had named him secretary-general of the camp, second only to..." Eventually the father gets a cell phone and communications are normalised.

Doesn't sound a bit like they were dumped in the middle of nowhere without food or shelter.

I hope the book improves, its naively written by the obvious ghost writer and it seems to be all about total emotional manipulation of the all-too-willing to believe the author's intended, pro-Palestinian audience. I want the facts not this soft, biased pap.

There is more to the war between the Palestinians, the Arabs and Israel than meets the eye but its never discussed. Israel is the West's secure base in the Middle East, it is democracy's secure base. It is a total sore for the Arabs who do not practice any kind of democracy, kings, dictators, and the military rule their countries. They do not want women walking the streets in tiny shorts and halter tops and having relationships of their own choosing. They do not even allow women to be educated and live a self-determined life. They do not allow unmarried women to get contraception and screw whomsoever they please after a hot night at the club. They don't have those sort of clubs for local women either.

How many Arab countries do you hear of where a woman (or a man) has risen from a poor background to a high position? It happens in our societies all the time. Everything about Israel, which is a country very similar to the US, the UK, France etc, threatens the Arabs. It doesn't stop me supporting the idea of a Palestinian State, in fact I want one even more because of it. But they see Israel ass the hole of the Western decadence we call freedom in the doughnut of Arab and Muslim repression and any kind of land exchange isn't going to make the slightest difference to their collective enmity to that.

I had hoped this book would present a true picture of Hamas from the inside and see that they are just sweet, people trying to live in moderate Islamic way who are terribly persecuted and whom we should all support. Yeah well, I got suckered into paying for this piece of crap but I'm not wasting my time reading any more of it. Deep shite for the PC-people to sigh and tut-tut over, more grist for the anti-Israelis/Zionists/Jews, another biased BBC documentary, and still... still no representation for the Palestinians who would like peace, would be happy to see their daughters educated and for all of them to live in the 21st century.

(Do such people exist? Yes, I used to share an apartment in London with some, I worked for a couple in Jerusalem, there are a few on the island, but no one hears their voices and they aren't loud people by nature, and neither would I be if I were them). ( )
  Petra.Xs | Apr 2, 2013 |
A bit too much Christian propaganda ( )
  Savagemalloy | Aug 13, 2012 |
If I think I have mixed feelings about the book, I should not forget the obviously mixed feelings that the author has about the life that he found himself born into. It's worth a read because it presents a perspective about the Middle East that we never hear. And yes, there is controversy surrounding this author. ( )
1 vote bsiemens | Apr 28, 2012 |
To my beloved father and my wounded family
To the victims of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict
To every human life my Lord has saved

To my family, I am very proud of you; only my God can understand what you have been through. I realize that what I have done has caused another deep wound that might not heal in this life and that you may have to live with its shame forever.

I could have been a hero and made my people proud of me. I knew what kind of hero they were looking for: a fighter who dedicated his life and family to the cause of a nation. Even if I was killed, they would have told my story for generations to come and been proud of me forever, but in reality, I would not have been much of a hero.

Instead, I became a traitor in the eyes of my people. Although I once brought pride to you, I now bring you only shame. Although I was once the royal prince, I am now a stranger in a foreign country fighting against the enemy of loneliness and darkness.

I know you see me as a traitor; please understand it was not you I chose to betray, but your understanding of what it means to be a hero. When Middle Eastern nations--Jews and Arabs alike--start to understand some of what I understand, only then will there be peace. And if my Lord was rejected for saving the world from the punishment of hell, I don't mind being a reject!

I don't know what the future holds, but I do know that I am not afraid. And now I want to give you something that has helped me to survive so far: all the guilt and shame I have carried for all these years is a small price to pay if it saves even one innocent human life.

How many people appreciate what I have done? Not so many. But that's okay. I believed in what I did and I still believe, which is my only fuel for this long journey. Every drop of innocent blood that has been saved gives me hope to carry on to the last day.

I paid, you paid, and yet the bills of war and peace continue to come. God be with us all and give us what we need to carry this heavy weight.

With love,

Your son
Peace in the Middle East has been the holy grail of diplomats, prime ministers, and presidents for more than five decades.

The oldest son of Sheikh Hassan Yousef, a founding member of Hamas and its most popular leader, reveals new information about the world's most dangerous terrorist organization and unveils the truth about his own role, his agonizing separation from family and homeland, the dangerous decision to make his newfound faith public, and his belief that the Christian mandate to "love your enemies" is the only way to peace in the Middle East.… (more)

352 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,485,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible