Raising Happiness: 10 Simple Steps for More…

Raising Happiness: 10 Simple Steps for More Joyful Kids and Happier…

by Christine Carter

68None174,795 (4.13)None

I really enjoyed this book; a variety of ideas are offered for adults as well as children to make life a little happier. Something as simple as being thankful for the lives we live everyday or keeping schedules and charts for monitoring your progress are outlined in this book. I thind I'm happie just having read this book. ( )
  conroyvela | Jul 20, 2010 |
This incorporates many of the same studies as NurtureShock, but is much more of a parenting how-to handbook. It's a bit too list-heavy to be much fun to read, and large sections may only play well on the coasts, but it seems like a useful reference. ( )
  wanack | Feb 24, 2010 |

What do we wish most for our children? Next to being healthy, we want them to be happy, of course! Fortunately, a wide array of scientific studies show that happiness is a learned behavior, a muscle we can help our children build and maintain.

Drawing on what psychology, sociology, and neuroscience have proven about confidence, gratefulness, and optimism, and using her own chaotic and often hilarious real-world adventures as a mom to demonstrate do’s and don’ts in action, Christine Carter, Ph.D, executive director of UC Berkeley’s Greater Good Science Center, boils the process down to 10 simple happiness-inducing steps.

With great wit, wisdom, and compassion, Carter covers the day-to-day pressure points of parenting—how best to discipline, get kids to school and activities on time, and get dinner on the table—as well as the more elusive issues of helping children build healthy friendships and develop emotional intelligence. In these 10 key steps, she helps you interact confidently and consistently with your kids to foster the skills, habits, and mindsets that will set the stage for positive emotions now and into their adolescence and beyond. Inside you will discover

• the best way avoid raising a brat—changing bad habits into good ones
• tips on how to change your kids’ attitude into gratitude
• the trap of trying to be perfect—and how to stay clear of its pitfalls
• the right way to praise kids—and why too much of the wrong kind can be just as bad as not enough
• the spirit of kindness—how to raise kind, compassionate, and loving children
• strategies for inspiring kids to do boring (but necessary) tasks—and become more self-motivated in the process

Complete with a series of “try this” tips, secrets, and strategies, Raising Happiness is a one-of-a-kind resource that will help you instill joy in your kids—and, in the process, become more joyful yourself.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:50 -0400)

Drawing on what hard science says about the factors that breed happiness in childhood and beyond, here are 10 simple principles for fostering the skills and habits that will set the stage for optimism, emotional health, and confidence for kids.

154 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,473,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible