The Success Principles(TM): How to Get from…

The Success Principles(TM): How to Get from Where You Are to Where You…

by Jack Canfield

Other authors: Janet Switzer (Author)

Let me tell you what I didn’t like about this book:

1) The name dropping stories will (and in some cases already are) dated. This book will not hold up over the years. He talks about people, TV Shows, movies etc, that in 75 years, no one will know what they are or who they were. I had this problem when I read Napoleon Hill’s books. Stuff that was a normal mind set when he wrote the books are no longer applicable. This caused me to grow frustrated while reading it.

2) The later principles talk about financial success. Where the information is sound, it doesn’t work for everyone. It is not a blanket approach. He says “Don’t think you can’t do it”. Well, let me see, if I save 50% of my paycheck in a savings account what will I be? Rich? No I’d be homeless. If you make $100K a year, then this is a possibility. If you make $40K a year, live in NYC and have a kid in college along with being a single parent, saving 50% of your check is not something you should be doing.

3) A lot of regurgitated information. Most of the stuff in the earlier chapters I’ve read or heard about over the last 20 years. There is no new information in here.

4) Too much book plugging for his “Chicken Soup for The Soul” books. We get it. You made money with these books. You had a million dollar idea…blah blah blah.

Let me tell you what I did like about this book:

1) I listened to the audio version so it was abridged. I do have the physical copy, but I don’t think I’ll be reading that any time soon.

2) There is some good information in here for those who are new to Jack Canfield and or this way of thinking. If you have been a student of manifesting and metaphysics for a while, this book will be too elementary.

3) I did like his principle on how you can self educate yourself. People think schooling is the only way to get ahead. Don’t get me wrong, it sure helps, but you can learn things by reading or watching educational TV or films. Or you can talk to people who can stimulate your thought process. He talks about staying away from negative people and those who will pull you down.

4) He did mention Stephen King.

And I do understand that this is not an instant fix. It should take years and years to master these principles. This is a great book for a 25 year old. For a 50 year old who has kids in college and gets paid minimum wage…not so helpful (financial info). Although we can all have a successful mindset, and because of that, this book has merit.

This book was not very motivational for me. ( )
  busy91 | Feb 27, 2013 |
A must read book for everyone. ( )
  prashhantmisra | Jun 19, 2012 |
A bit cheesy but a decent book about becoming successful in life ( )
  Dangraham | Jan 4, 2011 |
This book contains many self help principles - it gives you a taste of various theories - it's not a get from here to there book - as it just has descriptions of lots of tried and tested methods for self improvement. Its a good book to get exposure to lots of different methods. ( )
1 vote Neale | Dec 22, 2007 |
As a general rule in the world of advice-giving, plain old celebrities can't match people who became famous because they give advice. The forthcoming guide ''The Success Principles'' is by Jack Canfield, co-author of ''Chicken Soup for the Soul'' and clearly an old hand at this game.

Jack Canfieldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Switzer, JanetAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Audio CD

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060594896, Paperback)

If there's anyone qualified to write a self-help book on success, it's Jack Canfield, who's worked his way from scraping by as a teacher to holding a Guinness world record for having seven books simultaneously on The New York Times® Best Sellers list.

As a coauthor of the Chicken Soup for the Soul® series, he's sold more than 80 million books, and now lives "in a beautiful California estate" with his days of dining on spaghetti and tomato paste long behind him. "All you have to do is decide what it is you want, believe you deserve it, and practice the principles in this book," he says, and success is yours.

His advice is straightforward (examples: "reject rejection" and "surround yourself with successful people"), but rather derivative, with quotes from the likes of JFK, Colin Powell, Aldous Huxley, and fellow motivation author Napoleon Hill.Canfield's definition of success is primarily monetary, and he includes plenty of anecdotes depicting average folks who saved themselves from the brink of bankruptcy after following his principles. He could tone down the braggadocio; readers don't need to know that he's stayed in resorts in Hawaii, Italy, Australia, and Morocco. Despite those gripes, his cheerleader-caliber enthusiasm should benefit anyone looking to improve their lot in life. --Erica Jorgensen

Amazon.com Exclusive Content

Jack Canfield, creator of the Chicken Soup for the Soul series, reveals secrets to success with 64 timeless principles in The Success Principles. Get a successful start right now and watch a video featuring Jack Canfield and his words of wisdom on how to transform your life, how to take responsibility, and why his new book is suited for everyone.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:11 -0400)

A self-improvement guide for business professionals, teachers, students, parents, or anyone interested in promoting themselves within today's success-oriented culture shares sixty-four principles on how to reach desired goals.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,246,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible