Thousand Cranes by Yasunari Kawabata

Thousand Cranes (original 1956; edition 1981)

by Yasunari Kawabata, Edward G Seidensticker (Translator)

Member:andrewreads
Title:Thousand Cranes
Authors:Yasunari Kawabata
Other authors:Edward G Seidensticker (Translator)
Info:Perigee Trade (1981), Paperback, 147 pages
Collections:Your library, Read - owned
Tags:Japanese literature, Japan, Nobel laureate

Thousand Cranes by Yasunari Kawabata (1956)

English (31)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  All (36)
Just read it! ( )
  rastamandj | Jun 14, 2017 |
There is a unique rhythm to the prose in a Japanese novel which I enjoy tremendously. This novella is a tale of the inextricable ties that bind the dead and the living. A young man's father dies and yet the tangled web of his life continues to entangle the son. The story revolves around the ancient rite of the tea ceremony with a focus on the vessels created by early masters. Kawabata seems to reveal the ties from ancient times carried forward, in both tea ware and relationships. ( )
  hemlokgang | May 13, 2017 |
Well, this feels like something of a classical masterpiece.

Thousand Cranes is almost the lovechild of Ernest Hemingway and post-war Japan. I feel like this book isn't for everyone -- it's a bit like green tea, some people find it too bitter, some people find it too strong.

But Kawabata is something of a master, like I said. There is no word in this novel that is not intentional, and so I found myself rereading a lot of the same passages over and over, examining each word, each slice of dialogue.

I really liked that he paired such delicate, fragile images with such intense and ugly human emotions. Sullenness and someone's delicate, thousand crane handkerchief, disappointment and dying fireflies, all those things add up to make a beautiful narrative.

The book itself is quite short, only 100 pages, and it does skip forward in each part and often only implies major events in the plot.

I was surprised by the subtlety in this book, despite how harsh it is, surprised at Kawabata's craft.

I thought I'd done away with more masculine novels, with a cast of totally unlikeable characters, but the author's delicacy has shown me otherwise.

I look forward to reading more of his works.

(cw: suicide and suicidal ideation) ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
A poet of the emotions, Kawabata makes us look at love and desire in a new way. Mere gestures can knock things into another world. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
I liked this book....I'm not quite sure why, but it was an interesting read. The writing was beautiful. ( )
  AmieB7 | Jan 21, 2016 |

Yasunari Kawabataprimary authorall editionscalculated
Komatsu, FumiIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ouwehand, C.Afterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ouwehand, C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seidensticker, Edward G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Even when he reached Kamakura and the Engakuji Temple, Kikuji did not know whether or not he would go to the tea ceremony.

fine depiction of life in a period randomly captured without pain.

With a restraint that barely conceals the ferocity of his characters' passions, one of Japan's great postwar novelists tells the luminous story of Kikuji and the tea party he attends with Mrs. Ota, the rival of his dead father's mistress. A tale of desire, regret, and sensual nostalgia, every gesture has a meaning, and even the most fleeting touch or casual utterance has the power to illuminate entire lives--sometimes in the same moment that it destroys them. Translated from the Japanese by Edward G. Seidensticker.

"A novel of exquisite artistry...rich suggestibility...and a story that is human, vivid and moving."--New York Herald Tribune

Kawabata is a poet of the gentlest shades, of the evanescent, the imperceptible. This is a tragedy in soft focus, but its passions are fierce."--Commonweal

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:51 -0400)

A young man is involved briefly with the two mistresses of his dead father and with the daughter of one of them. In these limited relationships, the limitless human capacity for inertia and illusion is suggested and the infinite strange combinations of human joy and suffering.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,239,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible