My Heart Is Like a Zoo by Michael Hall

My Heart Is Like a Zoo (edition 2009)

by Michael Hall, Michael Hall (Illustrator)

2083156,261 (4.09)None
Member:Laceyjo10
Title:My Heart Is Like a Zoo
Authors:Michael Hall (Author)
Other authors:Michael Hall (Illustrator)
Info:Greenwillow Books (2009), Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:animals, similes, hearts, feelings, childhood, zoo

My Heart Is Like a Zoo by Michael Hall

A little too gimmicky, but still so cute.  Do kids like it, or do they think it's saccharine?  I don't like zoos, either, and I don't like anthropomophizing animals to stereotypes, either.  Brave lion?  Hmm...  Fun text to read-aloud, though.  I dunno; I'm torn.  Guilty pleasure, ok if balanced with more wholesome and interesting fare? ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
My review of this book is that it provides the children with various emotions to explore and think about. Not only will the children learn about emotions but they will also enjoying learning them more because animals are involved. Another thing that would interest the children and make a subconscious impact is that a lot of the animals and body parts are made out of hearts so that it promotes the emotion love. The main idea of this book is for the children to see different kinds of emotions that not only they can express but animals too. Lastly, I think this book would benefit children because there are rhyming schemes throughout the book. ( )
  CGirodo | Mar 24, 2016 |
This fantasy book is a great book to model adjectives or descriptions. Each page has a new animal and its characteristic that the author uses to describe what the heart is like. The illustrations are also amazing. The illustrator uses hearts to create the animals. It would be a great mentor text. ( )
  kvelin | Nov 23, 2015 |
32 months - I wish I had come across this book when O was a year old, she was a bit too old for this one but it's a very nice picture book. Bold colors, simple drawings incorporating hearts and a fun rhyme.

Reading this with my 1 1/2 yr old boy and he has little to no interest. Cute but just not hitting the target with my kids. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
This is a realistic fiction book. This book describes characteristics and emotions of animals that would be in a zoo. All of the illustrations of the animals are made from heart shapes. ( )
  kfrost32 | Apr 13, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061915106, Hardcover)

A heart can be hopeful, or silly, or happy. A heart can be rugged, or snappy, or lonely. A heart holds every different feeling, and debut author-artist Michael Hall captures each one with a delicate touch.

For each feeling, the bold, graphic artwork creates an animal out of heart shapes, from "eager as a beaver" to "angry as a bear" to "thoughtful as an owl." An accessible and beautiful debut, My Heart Is Like a Zoo is everything a classic picture book should be: honest, sincere, and speaking directly to even the very youngest child.

Ages: 0 - 5

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:31 -0400)

Depicts in rhyming text how love can be many different things, such as eager as a beaver, steady as a yak, or silly as a seal.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,422,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible