Victorious by Jack Campbell

Victorious (2010)

by Jack Campbell

Series: The Lost Fleet (6), Admiral John Geary (6)

A fitting conclusion to the series. Like with his other two sets of novels (published as John Hemry) this one leaves room for an expansion of the universe without demanding a sequel or feeling incomplete. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
A good wrap up to the Lost Fleet series.

Geary takes the fleet home, then turns around and hits the syndics so hard that they capitulate, while starting to deal with the alien threat. The getting home arc is over.

There is enough mystery about the aliens that I can easily foresee 4-6 more books about the adventures in dealing with them. If so, I'd hope Campbell uses another character than Geary. The poor guy finally gets together with the other captain, and he needs a break. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I find this series less and less interesting as I work thorough it. The basic problem is that the characters lack depth. We only see their professional lives.
None of them have any interests or hobbies. None of them follow sport, play cards, gamble, go to the loo, pin up posters in their quarters, listen to music, stitch buttons on their uniforms, race down a corridor -and none of the crew on their ships do either.
They don't feel real, and thus I've lost involvement with them. ( )
  JudithProctor | Oct 6, 2016 |
Originally reviewed on Short Rambling Reviews

This is the final instalment of the Lost Fleet series. It neatly wraps things up in more ways than one. As individual books they don't particularly stand out, they have the same formulaic combat scenes, while it is an interesting take on space warfare, it is much the same in this book as the rest of the series. However as an overall series it is well worth investing the time in to read, the universe is rich and in my opinion well realised.

There is also that issue of the underlying but not spoken about love story between Geary and the Captain. But at least at the end of this book that irritation has been sorted out. Geary also manages to speak to his grandniece Jayne Geary, as you could imagine, this reunion is not in the best of circumstances and isn't really explored much, which is probably a good thing, Geary had other things to concentrate on.

One other gripe I have with this is the "Enigma" race. They have been in the shadows from early in the series and chose to come out in this final instalment. The Syndics had been fighting them for 100 years, give or take a few years, and hadn't figured out a way to beat them. Then the mighty "Black Jack" comes along figures it out and defeats them in a matter of hours. This says two things to me: either Campbell didn't do a good job in realising the underlying principles relating to this race, or the Syndics are completely incompetent, which begs a further question, if they are that incompetent why did it take 100 years to defeat them. Because of this issue, it soured the last bit of the book for me, it didn't feel like it fit with the rest of the writing of the series, and kind of throws the underlying principles the series was built on into doubt. So either way you look at it, I feel it was a disappointing end to the series and makes me question whether there are structural integrity issues with the series.

However I still stand by my comments above, the total of the series adds up to more than the sum of its parts. ( )
  grlewry | Sep 22, 2016 |
I’ve been meaning to write this review for two months, when I finished this book and the series. I have so many books sitting around waiting to be reviewed, it’s not even funny. As a result of this long delay, I’ve unfortunately forgotten most of the book’s details and can’t give it the thorough type of review I would normally want to give to a Lost Fleet book. Oh well.

This is the book I – and everyone else – have been waiting for! Finally, questions are going to be answered and issues are going to be resolved, right? Well, most are! Captain “Black” Jack Geary and the battered Alliance fleet, led by his ship’s captain, Tanya Desjani (who we’ve all been rooting for to get together with Geary, despite their differences in rank), have finally, finally, finally, after five long, repetitive damn books made it home from the Syndicate Worlds and Geary prepares to give his report as fleet captain. However, the Alliance Council is so scared of him and his power, that they make him Fleet Admiral and send him right back to the scene of the first book, the capital of the Syndicate Worlds, to force their surrender and end this 100-year war. And he does it. And, naturally, kicks some ass doing it.

However, there’s the disturbing mystery and question of the aliens. Who are they, what do they want, and how does the Alliance defeat them if it comes to that? Naturally, Geary takes his fleet to the other end of Syndicate space where he finally encounters the aliens himself and, naturally, kicks ass. Because that’s what happens in Jack Campbell’s books. The hero cannot.ever.lose.

And that’s it. Right? Oh yeah, there’s that last one little issue of Desjani and Geary, right? Will they finally become an official item? Well, Campbell tries to throw a twist in there and scare the reader, but you pretty much know what will happen. You’d have to be an idiot not to.

I gave most of the books in this six book series four stars because they were pretty good, well told/written, interesting (for the most part), had some good drama and mystery, just the right amount of politics, and some kick ass space battles. My primary complaint book after book was the sheer lunacy on the part of the author to use the weaponry he used on his spaceships based on 18th century Earth ships (grapeshot – literally). It’s utterly ridiculous. However, I’m not going to knock a star off for that today because I finally felt pretty satisfied with one of these books and found the ending pretty satisfying as well. Most definitely not the best military science fiction I’ve ever read, but not bad. I’d read more of his stuff. That’s about the highest praise I know how to give. Five stars and recommended if you’re reading the series. ( )
  scottcholstad | Jun 2, 2016 |

Jack Campbellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bollinger, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
DeFex, Annette FioreCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Paul Parsons,
a man of great enthusiasms,
a great mind, and a great heart,
all of which he shared in abundance
with the many who will miss him.
For S., as always
He had faced death many times and would cheerfully do so again rather than attend this briefing.

As war continues to rage between the Alliance and Syndicate Worlds, Captain "Black Jack" Geary is promoted to admiral--even though the ruling council fears he may stage a military coup. His new rank gives him the authority to negotiate with the Syndics, who have suffered tremendous losses and may finally be willing to end the war. But an even greater alien threat lurks on the far side of the Syndic occupied space.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,683,569 books! | Top bar: Always visible