So Many Days by Alison McGhee

So Many Days

by Alison McGhee

This book is about life being unknown and there being so many choices. The common phrase in the book is "who will you be and where will you go? And how will you know?"
  LisaMarie214 | Mar 16, 2015 |
Nice rhythm to the verse and chorus, very prayer-like, with broad, general, inspirational phrases. A sweet book for adults and teens, definitely. And I think children might enjoy looking at all the very specific activities depicted in the illustrations, but I'm not sure telling a young child that they are "braver/stronger/wilder than they know" is something that ultimately makes a lot of sense to their concrete, pragmatic selves. ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
After being wowed by Taeeun Yoo's beautiful linoleum block prints in the recent Only a Witch Can Fly (named one of the ten Best Illustrated Children’s Books of 2009 by The New York Times), I was delighted to discover that she had a new picture-book due for publication in early 2010, and even more excited when I found an advance reviewer's copy.

Unfortunately, while I found the illustrations quite appealing - they're not as striking as those done for nly a Witch Can Fly, but then, they were created with a softer, less dramatic palette - the text of So Many Days did not impress me. This is the second Alison McGhee and Taeeun Yoo collaboration whose narrative left me indifferent, leading me to suspect that McGhee isn't the "right" author for Yoo. On the other hand, it's also possible that, having read this so soon after Joy Harjo's lyrical For a Girl Becoming - another recent inspirational picture-book - I was simply expecting too much. Taeeun Yoo fans will definitely want to take a look at this one, but other readers probably don't need to rush right out to find it. ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Apr 17, 2013 |
This is a gorgeous book with stunning illustrations. The warmth and beauty of the language is matched by the vision and delight of the art.

Unfortunately, I can't see any kid being interested in it. Maybe if you read it interactively "what's the dog doing now? what do you think the little girl is going to do next" but other than that....no, I'm not a big fan of "inspirational picturebooks"

On the other hand, it would make a GREAT graduation present! Next time I know somebody graduating, they're getting this one!

Verdict: If you have parents who like inspiration picturebooks, this might be a good selection for your library collection. Otherwise, save it for personal gift-giving
  JeanLittleLibrary | Nov 15, 2010 |

Through rhythmic text, a parent reflects on the options and opportunities possible in a beloved child's future.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,795,926 books! | Top bar: Always visible