The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by…

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane (2006)

by Kate DiCamillo

Other authors: Bagram Ibatoulline (Illustrator)

3,9361911,305 (4.33)139
    The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo (jesanu)
    jesanu: Fans of The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane will connect with the Magician's Elephant, DiCamillo's most recent publication. The books share the same lyrical quality and quest for self-identity among a cast of unique characters.
    Hitty: Her First Hundred Years by Rachel Field (DRHuber)
    The End of the Beginning: Being the Adventures of a Small Snail (and an Even Smaller Ant) by Avi (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: This book is for slightly older readers, but is a wonderful book for any reader. Lovely illustrations and terrific morals.

English (190)  Swedish (1)  All (191)
I think this is my favorite of hers. I must just love Edwards:) ( )
  annabw | Feb 21, 2017 |
Summary:
Edward Tulane is a china rabbit who is very pleased with himself and has no use for love. He is owned and cherished by a young girl named Abilene until he is lost one day. His journey takes him from owner to owner as he slowly learns about love and loss.

Personal Response:
I wanted to quit reading this book several times because I found it so sad, but I was desperate for a happy ending. Each time Edward gets separated from those who love him I could feel their pain as well as his. The minimal illustrations vary from sketches to color paintings and they are haunting and beautiful. Even as I am writing this review I find myself looking back through the book to get another look at them. I found this book in my K-2 library, and I have to say I think the subject and theme are too mature for this age level. I believe this book would be better suited for upper elementary ages through adults.

Curriculum Connections:
I am not sure how I would use this book in the classroom or library. I work with K-2 students and I don’t have plans to read it to them. Possibly older students could understand the story better and use it as a jumping point to write their own story about a fantastical journey.
  Kmuscha | Feb 19, 2017 |
thesis the story of a toy china rabbit, this toy does not realize how good he has it, and is very ungrateful, until he is tossed overboard on accident while on a cruise with his owner. he is passed along family to family. experiences how rough life is outside of his own life. he goes round and round until finally he is at a toystore, when his old owner walks in, now as an adult, with her daughter, and recognizes him and brings him back home. ( )
  frannymack13 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Summary: A smarmy china rabbit is so full of himself that he cannot understand the love of his child-owner, Abilene. She is smitten with her beloved rabbit, but Edward Tulane is only smitten with himself. He goes through a long journey of heartache, and multiple owners and dire circumstances to finally come to the realization of what love...real love, means.
Personal Response: I was not planning on including this book in my readings by Kate DiCamillo. Yesterday afternoon I had a sixth grade student just happen to mention this book. She did not even know that I had just finished my 5th book by this author this week. I sat down on the couch, and did not get back up until I finished this wonderful book. I am so glad that the sixth grade girl had recommended this one to me. It was like reading a "stuck-up" version of the Velveteen Rabbit, that was equally as sweet and tender in its conclusion. Anna Sewell's Black Beauty also came to mind. Loved it!
Curriculum Connection: This is a book that I will be recommending to my animal loving readers in the library. In fact, next week we are having an "I love books" Valentine's Day week reading party in the library for grades K-6. This is one that I might read aloud to my 3rd graders, and then happily pass along to one lucky reader who would like to finish it on their own. This is a great book to teach character development. Many 4th and 5th grade students would benefit from reading this story to understand how the character grows and changes through the course of the story. ( )
  rjrubylou | Feb 10, 2017 |
What a beautiful story. It is the story of Edward Tulane, the china rabbit, who while passing from owner to owner in most unfortunate circumstances, endures great love and great tragedy. He learns that no matter what happens in life it is most important to open your heart....let yourself love and be loved. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |

DiCamillo's latest novel, "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane," may well be her best. It is an elegant volume of creamy pages with a handsome typeface and generous margins in a pale green binding. Bagram Ibatoulline's haunting color plates and sepia illustrations at the beginning of each chapter evoke the era of Andrew Wyeth, Howard Pyle and Maxfield Parrish. The novel is set in the storybook land of no specific time or locale. There are no annoying cellphones or Starbucks cafes. Not even the pictures give a clue to the exact period covered by the events. It could be the America of the Great Depression reconstructed on a vast Hollywood back lot.

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
The heart breaks and breaks

and lives by breaking.

It is necessary to go

through dark and deeper dark

and not to turn.

--from "The Testing-Tree," by Stanley Kunitz
For Jane Resh Thomas, who gave me the rabbit and told me his name.
Once, in a house on Egypt Street, there lived a rabbit who was made almost entirely of china.
What was clear was that he was being taken to a child to make up for the loss of a doll. A doll. How Edward loathed dolls.

This is a magical story about a china rabbit from an award-winning author.Abilene loves her blue china rabbit, but Edward Tulane is extremely vain and only loves himself. On a voyage to London, Edward falls overboard and from there embarks on an amazing journey. He travels with hobos, works as a scarecrow, comforts a dying child and finally learns what it is to truly love.

A timeless tale by the incomparable Kate DiCamillo, complete with stunning full-color plates by Bagram Ibatoulline, honors the enduring power of love.

"Someone will come for you, but first you must open your heart. . . ."

Once, in a house on Egypt Street, there lived a china rabbit named Edward Tulane. The rabbit was very pleased with himself, and for good reason: he was owned by a girl named Abilene, who treated him with the utmost care and adored him completely.

And then, one day, he was lost.

Kate DiCamillo takes us on an extraordinary journey, from the depths of the ocean to the net of a fisherman, from the top of a garbage heap to the fireside of a hoboes' camp, from the bedside of an ailing child to the bustling streets of Memphis. And along the way, we are shown a true miracle — that even a heart of the most breakable kind can learn to love, to lose, and to love again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:08 -0400)

Edward Tulane, a cold-hearted and proud toy rabbit, loves only himself until he is separated from the little girl who adores him and travels across the country, acquiring new owners and listening to their hopes, dreams, and histories.

Candlewick Press

3 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763625892, 0763647837, 076364367X

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,270,537 books! | Top bar: Always visible