The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by…

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane (original 2006; edition 2009)

by Kate DiCamillo, Bagram Ibatoulline (Illustrator)

Title:The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane
Authors:Kate DiCamillo
Other authors:Bagram Ibatoulline (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 228 pages
Tags:fiction grades 2-5

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo (2006)

The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo (jesanu)
    jesanu: Fans of The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane will connect with the Magician's Elephant, DiCamillo's most recent publication. The books share the same lyrical quality and quest for self-identity among a cast of unique characters.
    Hitty: Her First Hundred Years by Rachel Field (DRHuber)
    The End of the Beginning: Being the Adventures of a Small Snail (and an Even Smaller Ant) by Avi (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: This book is for slightly older readers, but is a wonderful book for any reader. Lovely illustrations and terrific morals.

English (181)  Swedish (1)  All languages (182)
I read this book to my daughter on the recommendation of a friend. It was very good. The whole family enjoyed listening to the story; we all wanted to learn what would happen to Edward next. It's the kind of book that's better read aloud so that everyone can share the tragedies and joys. Highly recommended. ( )
  trwm | Oct 6, 2016 |
I love that this book has a different take on a story about a toy. The fact that they did not create the toy rabbit to talk was very interesting to me. The whole story is focused around the toy rabbit's thoughts and feelings that go on inside his head. The toy rabbit describes what he sees, feels, and hears. This outside-of-the-box way to portray a toy captures the reader's attention and keeps it throughout the whole book. This book addresses a lot of heavy topics such as: sickness, death and abuse, These topics are serious, but if addressed correctly, could be a great learning experience for children.
  Jaymand | Sep 11, 2016 |
Kate DiCamillo has created a truly memorable character in Edward Tulane. A large china rabbit who is completely self-absorbed, Edward experiences an unfortunate accident that separates him from the little girl who loves him, and forces him to endure a long, exhausting journey fraught with frustration and peril. A procession of notable characters, each fading into the past with disturbing finality, precedes his eventual redemption. Touching illustrations in sepia tones and color plate add depth and a tinge of wistfulness to the story, which is one of the best pieces of children's literature I have read in awhile. This is a splendid book in a category of its own! ( )
  readergal4life | Aug 26, 2016 |
I...was not expecting this. Even though I know Kate DiCamillo is fantastic and I have enjoyed every other thing I've read by her, for whatever reason I wasn't expecting to be so touched and enthralled with Edward Tulane.

But it is so. good.

I almost cried.

Please read this. ( )
1 vote BrynDahlquis | Aug 15, 2016 |
A china rabbit learns to love in this gentle and moving toy fantasy from two-time Newbery Medal winner Kate DiCamillo. Well-dressed and well-cared for, Edward is the beloved companion of a little girl named Abilene, but he is unmoved by her devotion, or indeed, by anything in the human world, preferring to reflect upon his own fineness. But when Edward is lost overboard during a sea voyage, he embarks on a long journey in which he comes into contact with many different people - a fisherman and his wife, a tramp and his dog, a young boy caring for his terminally ill sister - and slowly learns to open his heart. In the process he learns much about sorrow, but also much about joy.

As I continue my Kate DiCamillo reading sprint - this is the fourth of her titles I have read in the last week - I am amazed that I have waited so long to really investigate her work, and I am struck by how thought-provoking and emotionally resonant her stories are. As these are two qualities I particularly value in a book, I think I have found a new favorite author! The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane was an engrossing read, and will keep young children involved in the ups and downs of its rabbit hero's journey. It will also make them ponder (as it did me) the necessity of love, in leading a full life - in being alive at all, really - and the inextricable ties between love and suffering. I loved Edward's slow awakening to a more fully realized way of being, and how DiCamillo managed to capture this in a character who is outwardly inanimate. I also loved the cast of characters with whom Edward comes into contact - the episode with Bryce and Sarah Ruth was particularly moving - and thought the author created a believable and engaging world. Recommended to readers young and old who enjoy tales of toys out in the world, or stories with a little melancholy and a little joy mixed together. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jun 30, 2016 |
DiCamillo's latest novel, "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane," may well be her best. It is an elegant volume of creamy pages with a handsome typeface and generous margins in a pale green binding. Bagram Ibatoulline's haunting color plates and sepia illustrations at the beginning of each chapter evoke the era of Andrew Wyeth, Howard Pyle and Maxfield Parrish. The novel is set in the storybook land of no specific time or locale. There are no annoying cellphones or Starbucks cafes. Not even the pictures give a clue to the exact period covered by the events. It could be the America of the Great Depression reconstructed on a vast Hollywood back lot.

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
The heart breaks and breaks

and lives by breaking.

It is necessary to go

through dark and deeper dark

and not to turn.

--from "The Testing-Tree," by Stanley Kunitz
For Jane Resh Thomas, who gave me the rabbit and told me his name.
Once, in a house on Egypt Street, there lived a rabbit who was made almost entirely of china.
What was clear was that he was being taken to a child to make up for the loss of a doll. A doll. How Edward loathed dolls.

This is a magical story about a china rabbit from an award-winning author.Abilene loves her blue china rabbit, but Edward Tulane is extremely vain and only loves himself. On a voyage to London, Edward falls overboard and from there embarks on an amazing journey. He travels with hobos, works as a scarecrow, comforts a dying child and finally learns what it is to truly love.

A timeless tale by the incomparable Kate DiCamillo, complete with stunning full-color plates by Bagram Ibatoulline, honors the enduring power of love.

"Someone will come for you, but first you must open your heart. . . ."

Once, in a house on Egypt Street, there lived a china rabbit named Edward Tulane. The rabbit was very pleased with himself, and for good reason: he was owned by a girl named Abilene, who treated him with the utmost care and adored him completely.

And then, one day, he was lost.

Kate DiCamillo takes us on an extraordinary journey, from the depths of the ocean to the net of a fisherman, from the top of a garbage heap to the fireside of a hoboes' camp, from the bedside of an ailing child to the bustling streets of Memphis. And along the way, we are shown a true miracle — that even a heart of the most breakable kind can learn to love, to lose, and to love again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:08 -0400)

Edward Tulane, a cold-hearted and proud toy rabbit, loves only himself until he is separated from the little girl who adores him and travels across the country, acquiring new owners and listening to their hopes, dreams, and histories.

Candlewick Press

3 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763625892, 0763647837, 076364367X

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,699,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible