The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by…

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane (original 2006; edition 2009)

by Kate DiCamillo, Bagram Ibatoulline (Illustrator)

3,9701931,290 (4.33)140
Member:UTC
Title:The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane
Authors:Kate DiCamillo
Other authors:Bagram Ibatoulline (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 228 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction grades 2-5

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo (2006)

The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo (jesanu)
    jesanu: Fans of The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane will connect with the Magician's Elephant, DiCamillo's most recent publication. The books share the same lyrical quality and quest for self-identity among a cast of unique characters.
    Hitty: Her First Hundred Years by Rachel Field (DRHuber)
    The End of the Beginning: Being the Adventures of a Small Snail (and an Even Smaller Ant) by Avi (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: This book is for slightly older readers, but is a wonderful book for any reader. Lovely illustrations and terrific morals.

English (192)  Swedish (1)  All (193)
Although I found the book to read to my boys, I probably enjoyed it more than they did. The message was of unselfish love, even when it hurts. The adventures of the china rabbit told of learning the need to love, how to love and the hope to continue to love in an unexpected way.

A story, like the Velveteen Rabbit, that will stay on my shelf long after my boys are grown and gone...for the next generation. ( )
  Sonya.Contreras | May 21, 2017 |
This story is about a china rabbit, who likes himself a lot. One day he gets lost. On his journey, he learns important life lessons and begins to have a change of heart.
  morganlasher | Apr 21, 2017 |
I think this is my favorite of hers. I must just love Edwards:) ( )
  annabw | Feb 21, 2017 |
Summary:
Edward Tulane is a china rabbit who is very pleased with himself and has no use for love. He is owned and cherished by a young girl named Abilene until he is lost one day. His journey takes him from owner to owner as he slowly learns about love and loss.

Personal Response:
I wanted to quit reading this book several times because I found it so sad, but I was desperate for a happy ending. Each time Edward gets separated from those who love him I could feel their pain as well as his. The minimal illustrations vary from sketches to color paintings and they are haunting and beautiful. Even as I am writing this review I find myself looking back through the book to get another look at them. I found this book in my K-2 library, and I have to say I think the subject and theme are too mature for this age level. I believe this book would be better suited for upper elementary ages through adults.

Curriculum Connections:
I am not sure how I would use this book in the classroom or library. I work with K-2 students and I don’t have plans to read it to them. Possibly older students could understand the story better and use it as a jumping point to write their own story about a fantastical journey.
  Kmuscha | Feb 19, 2017 |
thesis the story of a toy china rabbit, this toy does not realize how good he has it, and is very ungrateful, until he is tossed overboard on accident while on a cruise with his owner. he is passed along family to family. experiences how rough life is outside of his own life. he goes round and round until finally he is at a toystore, when his old owner walks in, now as an adult, with her daughter, and recognizes him and brings him back home. ( )
  frannymack13 | Feb 13, 2017 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
The heart breaks and breaks

and lives by breaking.

It is necessary to go

through dark and deeper dark

and not to turn.

--from "The Testing-Tree," by Stanley Kunitz
For Jane Resh Thomas, who gave me the rabbit and told me his name.
Once, in a house on Egypt Street, there lived a rabbit who was made almost entirely of china.
What was clear was that he was being taken to a child to make up for the loss of a doll. A doll. How Edward loathed dolls.

This is a magical story about a china rabbit from an award-winning author.Abilene loves her blue china rabbit, but Edward Tulane is extremely vain and only loves himself. On a voyage to London, Edward falls overboard and from there embarks on an amazing journey. He travels with hobos, works as a scarecrow, comforts a dying child and finally learns what it is to truly love.

A timeless tale by the incomparable Kate DiCamillo, complete with stunning full-color plates by Bagram Ibatoulline, honors the enduring power of love.

"Someone will come for you, but first you must open your heart. . . ."

Once, in a house on Egypt Street, there lived a china rabbit named Edward Tulane. The rabbit was very pleased with himself, and for good reason: he was owned by a girl named Abilene, who treated him with the utmost care and adored him completely.

And then, one day, he was lost.

Kate DiCamillo takes us on an extraordinary journey, from the depths of the ocean to the net of a fisherman, from the top of a garbage heap to the fireside of a hoboes' camp, from the bedside of an ailing child to the bustling streets of Memphis. And along the way, we are shown a true miracle — that even a heart of the most breakable kind can learn to love, to lose, and to love again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:08 -0400)

Edward Tulane, a cold-hearted and proud toy rabbit, loves only himself until he is separated from the little girl who adores him and travels across the country, acquiring new owners and listening to their hopes, dreams, and histories.

Candlewick Press

3 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763625892, 0763647837, 076364367X

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,399,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible