The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by…

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane (original 2006; edition 2009)

by Kate DiCamillo, Bagram Ibatoulline (Illustrator)

Member:UTC
Title:The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane
Authors:Kate DiCamillo
Other authors:Bagram Ibatoulline (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 228 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction grades 2-5

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo (2006)

The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo (jesanu)
    jesanu: Fans of The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane will connect with the Magician's Elephant, DiCamillo's most recent publication. The books share the same lyrical quality and quest for self-identity among a cast of unique characters.
    Hitty: Her First Hundred Years by Rachel Field (DRHuber)
    The End of the Beginning: Being the Adventures of a Small Snail (and an Even Smaller Ant) by Avi (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: This book is for slightly older readers, but is a wonderful book for any reader. Lovely illustrations and terrific morals.

English (177)  Swedish (1)  All languages (178)
A china rabbit learns to love in this gentle and moving toy fantasy from two-time Newbery Medal winner Kate DiCamillo. Well-dressed and well-cared for, Edward is the beloved companion of a little girl named Abilene, but he is unmoved by her devotion, or indeed, by anything in the human world, preferring to reflect upon his own fineness. But when Edward is lost overboard during a sea voyage, he embarks on a long journey in which he comes into contact with many different people - a fisherman and his wife, a tramp and his dog, a young boy caring for his terminally ill sister - and slowly learns to open his heart. In the process he learns much about sorrow, but also much about joy.

As I continue my Kate DiCamillo reading sprint - this is the fourth of her titles I have read in the last week - I am amazed that I have waited so long to really investigate her work, and I am struck by how thought-provoking and emotionally resonant her stories are. As these are two qualities I particularly value in a book, I think I have found a new favorite author! The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane was an engrossing read, and will keep young children involved in the ups and downs of its rabbit hero's journey. It will also make them ponder (as it did me) the necessity of love, in leading a full life - in being alive at all, really - and the inextricable ties between love and suffering. I loved Edward's slow awakening to a more fully realized way of being, and how DiCamillo managed to capture this in a character who is outwardly inanimate. I also loved the cast of characters with whom Edward comes into contact - the episode with Bryce and Sarah Ruth was particularly moving - and thought the author created a believable and engaging world. Recommended to readers young and old who enjoy tales of toys out in the world, or stories with a little melancholy and a little joy mixed together. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jun 30, 2016 |
I intended to read this over a couple of days time as I had Despereaux. Instead I found myself sitting up reading to the very end. Yes, I know it is a child's story, but I found it very captivating.

Edward Tulane is an elegant china rabbit living an elegant life. He has a stylish and expensive wardrobe. He is doted on by his owner, Abilene, who dearly loves him. But he has no idea of what love is. He has no feelings at all, except that how things are is how things should be.

This all gets tossed overboard, literally, when he is taken on a cruise with the family. Ending up at the bottom of the sea is not the end, but the beginning of his journey of finding out what love is and what loss is.

Life with an old couple, a hobo and his dog, a young boy and his sick sister and others teaches Edward what love is.

I enjoyed this story for the plot, the writing style and the presentation of the book. Beautiful illustrations in small monotone images and full page coloured plates done in a detailed pencil style, provide great visuals that enhance the telling.

A Good Read for all ages. ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Jun 23, 2016 |
From Amazon:

Once, in a house on Egypt Street, there lived a china rabbit named Edward Tulane. The rabbit was very pleased with himself, and for good reason: he was owned by a girl named Abilene, who adored him completely. And then, one day, he was lost. . .
Kate DiCamillo takes us on an extraordinary journey, from the depths of the ocean to the net of a fisherman, from the bedside of an ailing child to the bustling streets of Memphis. Along the way, we are shown a miracle -- that even a heart of the most breakable kind can learn to love, to lose, and to love again.

My Thoughts:

With The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane we are given a glimpse of arrogance gone wild. The china doll is made to feel special and is loved so much by his owner that he can't conceive he holds any other position than the center of the universe. Then, in an unexpected event, Edward Tulane is thrust into the depths of despair and only thru the kind acts of others is he taught the meaning of love. His various handlers and owners each contribute to Edward's salvation in small ways.

It is the kind of book that you will treasure and recommend to others. Don't pass this book by because it sits in the children's section...this book is for everyone.

Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Having read this straight after "The Underneath", I think my opinion is somewhat clouded. It's sweet, but it doesn't pack much of a punch. As an allegory, it works, but the character of Edward is not strong enough or interesting enough to carry the book. ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane – Kate DiCamillo
4 stars

Edward Tulane is an elegant china rabbit, the cherished toy of a girl named Abilene. Despite, being showered with a little girl’s love and having a privileged existence, Edward is bored and disdainful. It takes an arduous, eventful and miraculous journey to wake Edward up to the pleasure and pain of loving and living. This is a very sweet, allegorical story that makes its point without being either preachy or insipid. Although it was tagged young adult, I think it would make a great read-a-loud for early elementary and a good independent read for middle grades.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
DiCamillo's latest novel, "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane," may well be her best. It is an elegant volume of creamy pages with a handsome typeface and generous margins in a pale green binding. Bagram Ibatoulline's haunting color plates and sepia illustrations at the beginning of each chapter evoke the era of Andrew Wyeth, Howard Pyle and Maxfield Parrish. The novel is set in the storybook land of no specific time or locale. There are no annoying cellphones or Starbucks cafes. Not even the pictures give a clue to the exact period covered by the events. It could be the America of the Great Depression reconstructed on a vast Hollywood back lot.

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
The heart breaks and breaks

and lives by breaking.

It is necessary to go

through dark and deeper dark

and not to turn.

--from "The Testing-Tree," by Stanley Kunitz
For Jane Resh Thomas, who gave me the rabbit and told me his name.
Once, in a house on Egypt Street, there lived a rabbit who was made almost entirely of china.
What was clear was that he was being taken to a child to make up for the loss of a doll. A doll. How Edward loathed dolls.

This is a magical story about a china rabbit from an award-winning author.Abilene loves her blue china rabbit, but Edward Tulane is extremely vain and only loves himself. On a voyage to London, Edward falls overboard and from there embarks on an amazing journey. He travels with hobos, works as a scarecrow, comforts a dying child and finally learns what it is to truly love.

A timeless tale by the incomparable Kate DiCamillo, complete with stunning full-color plates by Bagram Ibatoulline, honors the enduring power of love.

"Someone will come for you, but first you must open your heart. . . ."

Once, in a house on Egypt Street, there lived a china rabbit named Edward Tulane. The rabbit was very pleased with himself, and for good reason: he was owned by a girl named Abilene, who treated him with the utmost care and adored him completely.

And then, one day, he was lost.

Kate DiCamillo takes us on an extraordinary journey, from the depths of the ocean to the net of a fisherman, from the top of a garbage heap to the fireside of a hoboes' camp, from the bedside of an ailing child to the bustling streets of Memphis. And along the way, we are shown a true miracle — that even a heart of the most breakable kind can learn to love, to lose, and to love again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:08 -0400)

Edward Tulane, a cold-hearted and proud toy rabbit, loves only himself until he is separated from the little girl who adores him and travels across the country, acquiring new owners and listening to their hopes, dreams, and histories.

Candlewick Press

3 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763625892, 0763647837, 076364367X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,471,225 books! | Top bar: Always visible