The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by…

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane (original 2006; edition 2009)

by Kate DiCamillo, Bagram Ibatoulline (Illustrator)

Member:UTC
Title:The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane
Authors:Kate DiCamillo
Other authors:Bagram Ibatoulline (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 228 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction grades 2-5

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo (2006)

Recently added byd_137, private library, ChildrensLitFdn, Mr_Carver, KAzevedo, A.Bond, VMurphy, Gorthalon, emilyb426
    The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo (jesanu)
    jesanu: Fans of The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane will connect with the Magician's Elephant, DiCamillo's most recent publication. The books share the same lyrical quality and quest for self-identity among a cast of unique characters.
    Hitty: Her First Hundred Years by Rachel Field (DRHuber)
    The End of the Beginning: Being the Adventures of a Small Snail (and an Even Smaller Ant) by Avi (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: This book is for slightly older readers, but is a wonderful book for any reader. Lovely illustrations and terrific morals.

English (156)  Swedish (1)  All languages (157)
This book teaches about the power of love and friendship through the adventure of a toy doll rabbit. Very emotionally powerful! ( )
  AllieEG | Nov 2, 2014 |
Edward Tulane is a china rabbit that journeys from one owner to another over the course of several years. As he is owned and loved by different people, he remembers the kindness of each of them, only to bear separation from them. This story teaches us to accept our situations and to recognize and appreciate the good we can garner from times of struggle. ( )
  hillcrestgarden | Nov 2, 2014 |
“Scratch scratch scratch, sniff sniff, click.” The front door creaked open slowly and hit the wall with a loud BANG! I, Edward Tulane, a china rabbit am perched atop a chair waiting for my dear Abilene to come home from school….As soon as I heard the front door open,(obviously by a dog,)my heart begins to race. My eyes are painted on, so I can only look forward.So as I am looking across the table, I am soon face to face with Rosie the next door neighbor’s boxer. Suddenly I’m in his mouth being vigorously shaken back and forth. Drool is now all over my beautiful satin clothes. Then I’m dropped to the floor. This book is The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. by Kate DiCamillo, which is a piece of fiction.

Edward Tulane is a china rabbit, who lives and a House on Egypt St. He has china arms, legs, paws, head, torso, and nose . His face is painted, and has re-poseable ears covered in real rabbit fur. Edward was given to Abilene at age 7, By her grandmother, Pellegrina. Abilene loves Edward greatly and treats him with alot of respect and care for him, but Edward lives in vain, because he is treated like a king. Then one day when Abilene and her family are aboard the HMS Queen Mary on vacation, 2 boys taunt and torment Abilene, saying how stupid the rabbit is, and throw Edward overboard, where his journey of a lifetime begins. Edward is soon picked up in a fisherman’s net where Edward is caught into a vicious cycle where Edward is found by a stranger, starts to love them, and then is lost or stolen from their possession. He meets new people and explores the world beyond his life on Egypt St. which he truly misses.

This story is like a roller coaster ride, it has it’s up’s and down’s, but in the end it’s truly thrilling, and exciting.This is so because the author creates a story that tells the reader to not to live in vain, and to love the people you've got, because at any given moment you could lose them.This book is a good book for 5’th-8’th graders so they can really enjoy and understand the full meaning of the book.
  WiDe14 | Oct 23, 2014 |
This book is an amazing view of how this china rabbit see people and their personalities. It is a roller coaster of all kinds of emotions with different people he meets. First you'll be anxious, happy, angry, and sad reading "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane." Edward Tulane is a stuffed rabbit who gets passed down to kids, and adults; some were very unfortunate. Edward's heart flows through many emotions that he doesn't even know. It is if we are the the fascinating wonderful book of wonder. After you read the book, it will leave you speechless.

One of my favorite characters in the book, is Edward because it seems like he is speaking to you. Many settings are included either city or country, streets or even just a house. Once you read this, you'll stick to this like glue. Discusions were made in each and chapter, some were good and some are bad. No matter where you are in "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane" you'll continue to read, and read, and read. It is the world's best book in my mind. I would suggest that you should read this book. Hopefully you'll read this spectacular book! ( )
  AutumnH.B1 | Oct 23, 2014 |
Kate Dicamillo is one of my favorite authors, and at first I was very unsure about this book. Unlike most of her literature this book seemed a bit dark and lacked humor. I wasn't keen about the main character Edward, I found him to be rude and very unlikable especially from a children's perspective. However I did like the moral of the story, and how Edward learned a lesson about love for others. I think this is an important lesson for children to keep in mind and carry with them. Having love in your heart is one of the most special feelings a person can have in a lifetime. ( )
  kcrous3 | Oct 22, 2014 |
DiCamillo's latest novel, "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane," may well be her best. It is an elegant volume of creamy pages with a handsome typeface and generous margins in a pale green binding. Bagram Ibatoulline's haunting color plates and sepia illustrations at the beginning of each chapter evoke the era of Andrew Wyeth, Howard Pyle and Maxfield Parrish. The novel is set in the storybook land of no specific time or locale. There are no annoying cellphones or Starbucks cafes. Not even the pictures give a clue to the exact period covered by the events. It could be the America of the Great Depression reconstructed on a vast Hollywood back lot.

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
The heart breaks and breaks

and lives by breaking.

It is necessary to go

through dark and deeper dark

and not to turn.

--from "The Testing-Tree," by Stanley Kunitz
For Jane Resh Thomas, who gave me the rabbit and told me his name.
Once, in a house on Egypt Street, there lived a rabbit who was made almost entirely of china.
What was clear was that he was being taken to a child to make up for the loss of a doll. A doll. How Edward loathed dolls.

This is a magical story about a china rabbit from an award-winning author.Abilene loves her blue china rabbit, but Edward Tulane is extremely vain and only loves himself. On a voyage to London, Edward falls overboard and from there embarks on an amazing journey. He travels with hobos, works as a scarecrow, comforts a dying child and finally learns what it is to truly love.

A timeless tale by the incomparable Kate DiCamillo, complete with stunning full-color plates by Bagram Ibatoulline, honors the enduring power of love.

"Someone will come for you, but first you must open your heart. . . ."

Once, in a house on Egypt Street, there lived a china rabbit named Edward Tulane. The rabbit was very pleased with himself, and for good reason: he was owned by a girl named Abilene, who treated him with the utmost care and adored him completely.

And then, one day, he was lost.

Kate DiCamillo takes us on an extraordinary journey, from the depths of the ocean to the net of a fisherman, from the top of a garbage heap to the fireside of a hoboes' camp, from the bedside of an ailing child to the bustling streets of Memphis. And along the way, we are shown a true miracle — that even a heart of the most breakable kind can learn to love, to lose, and to love again.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:44 -0400)

Edward Tulane, a cold-hearted and proud toy rabbit, loves only himself until he is separated from the little girl who adores him and travels across the country, acquiring new owners and listening to their hopes, dreams, and histories.

Candlewick Press

3 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763625892, 0763647837, 076364367X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,359,335 books! | Top bar: Always visible