The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by…

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane (original 2006; edition 2009)

by Kate DiCamillo, Bagram Ibatoulline (Illustrator)

Member:UTC
Title:The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane
Authors:Kate DiCamillo
Other authors:Bagram Ibatoulline (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 228 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction grades 2-5

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo (2006)

The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo (jesanu)
    jesanu: Fans of The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane will connect with the Magician's Elephant, DiCamillo's most recent publication. The books share the same lyrical quality and quest for self-identity among a cast of unique characters.
    Hitty: Her First Hundred Years by Rachel Field (DRHuber)
    The End of the Beginning: Being the Adventures of a Small Snail (and an Even Smaller Ant) by Avi (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: This book is for slightly older readers, but is a wonderful book for any reader. Lovely illustrations and terrific morals.

English (186)  Swedish (1)  All (187)
Well-written, beautiful, and somber. This is the story of a china rabbit who learns the true meaning of love. I read this book out loud to my class and truly enjoyed the masterful way that Kate DiCamillo crafts a story. Her word choice and sentence fluency found its way into my writing lesson plans to illustrate some of the possibilities waiting to be found in words.
Would I read it aloud again? Perhaps with older students. My class LOVED this story but it was sad, extremely sad in places. I fought back tears while reading and had to let it sit for awhile before reviewing it because it dealt with some tough material. (Losing people you love.) Initially, I thought I would not recommend it nor read it again because it was just too strong. However, the more I considered this, the more I realized that to not recommend this book would be to make the same mistake that Edward made, and that is to refuse to experience something wonderful just because it can also be hard. So I do recommend it - I do! The lessons learned by Edward apply to us all. Just consider keeping a box of tissues close by. ( )
  nkoffler | Dec 7, 2016 |
I really enjoyed reading this book. It had a great story line that engages students and pushes their thinking throughout the book. I thought it had just the right amount of illustrations to engage the reading and help them visualize as the story continued. I thought it had great descriptive language that engaged young and older audiences. ( )
  SarahA5752 | Nov 29, 2016 |
wonderful, adventurous book and a very good ending. ( )
  ChloeLaird | Nov 28, 2016 |
This book follows the life of Edward Tulane, a china rabbit who is well loved by a little girl but is so full of conceit and selfishness that he does not realize the good thing that he has...until it's gone. Through a twist of events, Edward is separated from his owner and goes on a long adventure in which he trades from owner to owner who love him each in their own unique ways. Throughout it all, Edward learns the importance of love, compassion and kindness.

Although a very sweet book, the story line was very simple and at times was slow paced. I believe this would be a good story for early elementary up to around third grade. Good conversations can be had centering on the importance of friendship and compassion.

Awards:2006 Boston Globe-Horn Book Award in Fiction category

Award Description: The Boston Globe–Horn Book Awards are a set of American literary awards conferred by The Boston Globe and The Horn Book Magazine annually from 1967. One book is recognized in each of three categories: Fiction and Poetry, Nonfiction, and Picture Book.

APA Citation: DiCamillo, K., & Ibatoulline, B. (2006). The miraculous journey of Edward Tulane. Cambridge, MA: Candlewick Press. ( )
  BrittaSchlect | Nov 25, 2016 |
I promised my son I'd read this over break and I am so glad I did. I totally understand why it's been his favorite book since 5th grade. An exquisite meditation on love, loss and life. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
DiCamillo's latest novel, "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane," may well be her best. It is an elegant volume of creamy pages with a handsome typeface and generous margins in a pale green binding. Bagram Ibatoulline's haunting color plates and sepia illustrations at the beginning of each chapter evoke the era of Andrew Wyeth, Howard Pyle and Maxfield Parrish. The novel is set in the storybook land of no specific time or locale. There are no annoying cellphones or Starbucks cafes. Not even the pictures give a clue to the exact period covered by the events. It could be the America of the Great Depression reconstructed on a vast Hollywood back lot.

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
The heart breaks and breaks

and lives by breaking.

It is necessary to go

through dark and deeper dark

and not to turn.

--from "The Testing-Tree," by Stanley Kunitz
For Jane Resh Thomas, who gave me the rabbit and told me his name.
Once, in a house on Egypt Street, there lived a rabbit who was made almost entirely of china.
What was clear was that he was being taken to a child to make up for the loss of a doll. A doll. How Edward loathed dolls.

This is a magical story about a china rabbit from an award-winning author.Abilene loves her blue china rabbit, but Edward Tulane is extremely vain and only loves himself. On a voyage to London, Edward falls overboard and from there embarks on an amazing journey. He travels with hobos, works as a scarecrow, comforts a dying child and finally learns what it is to truly love.

A timeless tale by the incomparable Kate DiCamillo, complete with stunning full-color plates by Bagram Ibatoulline, honors the enduring power of love.

"Someone will come for you, but first you must open your heart. . . ."

Once, in a house on Egypt Street, there lived a china rabbit named Edward Tulane. The rabbit was very pleased with himself, and for good reason: he was owned by a girl named Abilene, who treated him with the utmost care and adored him completely.

And then, one day, he was lost.

Kate DiCamillo takes us on an extraordinary journey, from the depths of the ocean to the net of a fisherman, from the top of a garbage heap to the fireside of a hoboes' camp, from the bedside of an ailing child to the bustling streets of Memphis. And along the way, we are shown a true miracle — that even a heart of the most breakable kind can learn to love, to lose, and to love again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:08 -0400)

Edward Tulane, a cold-hearted and proud toy rabbit, loves only himself until he is separated from the little girl who adores him and travels across the country, acquiring new owners and listening to their hopes, dreams, and histories.

Candlewick Press

4 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763625892, 0763625841, 0763647837, 076364367X

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,775,406 books! | Top bar: Always visible