Wisdom of Our Fathers: Lessons and Letters…

Wisdom of Our Fathers: Lessons and Letters from Daughters and Sons (2006)

by Tim Russert

Nice book. I wish that I had read it when I received it as a gift, then shared it with dad. ( )
  ebethe | Jan 26, 2014 |
After Tim Russert published memories of his dad in Big Russ and Me, he received an overwhelming response from other men and women wanting to tell of their own memories, good or bad, of their fathers. Wisdom of our Fathers is the result of those letters he received. Many are heartwarming, filled with wonderful memories of a hardworking father who took the time to invest in his children’s lives. Letter after letter revolve around one central and all-important theme to each writer – the fact that each one’s father created meaningful moments, not by the things he bought them, but simply by being there for them.

Each letter conveys the love that the authors have for their dads and, as a father myself, makes me want to ensure that no matter what happens, that I create special memories for my children. As some stories tell, some fathers didn’t even know that something seemingly so insignificant that they did could have such an impact on his children.

Perhaps the only negative point is, oddly enough, Russert’s contributions before each letter. The letters would certainly do well on their own, and Russert’s comments came across as his simply wanting to add his $0.02 to each. While I’m sure they were intended to introduce and summarize the story that followed, it really only distracted from the story itself.

In a time where fathers are constantly being portrayed on television as bumbling idiots, this book sheds light on what true fatherhood means. ( )
  Eskypades | Nov 6, 2009 |
In memory of my mom, and in honor of my dad.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 081297543X, Paperback)

What does it really mean to be a good father? What did your father tell you, that has stayed with you throughout your life? Was there a lesson from him, a story, or a moment that helped to make you who you are? Is there a special memory that makes you smile when you least expect it?

After the publication of Tim Russert’s number one New York Times bestseller about his father, Big Russ & Me, he received an avalanche of letters from daughters and sons who wanted to tell him about their own fathers, most of whom were not superdads or heroes but ordinary men who were remembered and cherished for some of their best moments–of advice, tenderness, strength, honor, discipline, and occasional eccentricity.

Most of these daughters and sons were eager to express the gratitude they had carried with them through the years. Others wanted to share lessons and memories and, most important, pass them down to their own children.

This book is for all fathers, young or old, who can learn from the men in these pages how to get it right, and to understand that sometimes it is the little gestures that can make the big difference for your child. For some in this book, the appreciation came later than they would have liked. But as Wisdom of Our Fathers reminds us, it is never too late to embrace it.

From the father who coached his daughter in sports (and life), attending every meet, game, performance, and tournament, to the daughter who, after a fifteen-year estrangement, learned to make peace with her difficult father just before he died, to the son who came, at last, to appreciate the silent way his father could show affection, Wisdom of Our Fathers shares rewarding lessons, immeasurable gifts, and lasting values.

Heartfelt, humorous, engaging, irresistibly readable, and bound to bring back memories of unforgettable moments with our own fathers, Tim Russert’s new book is not only a fitting companion to his own marvelous memoir, but also a celebration of the positive qualities passed down from generation to generation.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:00 -0400)

Sheds new light on fatherhood and the relationship between parent and child, discussing what we can learn from our fathers about humor, discipline, values, tradition, pride, loss, and love.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,734,941 books! | Top bar: Always visible