After the Kiss by Terra Elan McVoy

After the Kiss

by Terra Elan McVoy

2 (1) 55 (1) 2010 (1) 2012 (1) arcs (1) Atlanta (1) boyfriends (1) coming of age (1) dating (2) fiction (2) high school (6) HS Romance (1) mike's (1) moving (1) novel in verse (5) Older Teen (1) own (2) paranormal (1) poetry (7) relationships (1) romance (3) signed (2) to-read (5) tricia (1) UF (1) unread (1) verse (2) weird (1) YA (5) young adult (7)

Becca has been head over heels for Alec from the instant they met. he's a brainy jock with a poet's heart--in other words,perfect for her. Camille is careful with her words and protective of her heart,especially since Chicago. Then a new boy in her new town catches her off guar with a surprise kiss. Too bad that new boy is Becca's boyfriend, Alec. Camille and Becca have never meet, but their lives will unravel and intertwine in surprising ways as they deal with what happens after the kiss.
  JoiJackson | May 1, 2012 |
Gave up on page 168. The one page journal style felt choppy and I could never remember which character's point of view I was reading. ( )
  efoltz | Aug 14, 2011 |
Written in verse, similar to Ellen Hopkins books. Two characters alternate chapters until their lives collide. There are little hints along the way, but it is still interesting how they're woven together. Girls will enjoy getting inside the thoughts of other girls with typical situations and feelings, and maybe see the bigger picture in handling relationships. ( )
  SLeeD | Mar 31, 2011 |
The cover caught my attention on this one. Well, the cover and the title itself. I'd seen several reviews for it, and they all led me to believe it'd be a cute, easy summer read. That part is definitely true - what they did not tell me was that it's a novel in verse.

The basic premise is that the book follows two girls, who do not meet or technically know each other. I say technically, because their stories overlap. Drastically. Dramatically.

Each girl is allowed to tell her own story ... Camille writes in free-verse, almost stream-of-consciousness, but in third person. It allows for a singular perspective: you're getting to see inside her - as much as she allows herself to look inward, anyway - but you also get to see the dynamics of her world. Becca writes in a variety of poetic forms ... from tributes to Browning and Williams to a very cleverly done villanelle.

Overall, I think the form works - I just wish I'd had a little forewarning. I was caught blindsided and was therefore a wee bit confused. That quickly dissipated, it just took a moment or two of adjusting. ( )
  RivkaBelle | Aug 2, 2010 |
Two narrators, both high school senior girls, written in poetry and prose. Becca (written in poetry) has a boyfriend named Alec who she finds out was kissing another girl. That girl was Camille (written in prose), who has moved around her entire life and has always had to leave people behind. She is having trouble getting over a boy in Chicago. Becca has to take a job in a coffee shop where she runs into Camille, realizing she is the one Alec kissed. Becca’s poetry copies the styles of her favorite poets. ( )
  ShellyPYA | Jun 21, 2010 |

This moment changes everything. Becca has been head-over-heels for Alec from the instant they met. He's a brainy jock with a poet's heart--in other words, perfect for her. Camille is careful with her words and protective of her heart, especially since Chicago. Then a new boy in her new town catches her off guard with a surprise kiss. Too bad that new boy is Becca's boyfriend, Alec. Camille and Becca have never met, but their lives will unravel and intertwine in surprising ways as they deal with what happens after the kiss.

In alternating chapters, two high school senior girls in Atlanta reveal their thoughts and frustrations as they go through their final semester of high school.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,771,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible