The Love Verb

by Jane Green

Six people--sisters Callie and Steff Perry, their divorced parents Walter Cutler and Honor Pitman, Lila Grossman and the man of her dreams, Eddie--each receive a shocking note that summons them together for one extraordinary summer in Maine--a summer that will change their lives forever.

This book was amazing. I will definitely be reading more of hers. The end reminded me of my grandaddy's journey and what life was like after he died. It made me cry and gave me hope at the same time. I always think the author has done something special when they are able to do that with a book.
1 vote SWade0126 | Jan 11, 2019 |
I loved this book, it's been on my shelf forever and one more of Jane Greens I'll read soon. The characters were very well done and the story line left me missing nothing, home, family, scenery and food! ( )
  mchwest | Nov 24, 2016 |
Such a sad story, but told with such detail---and the detail is explained at the end of the audio with the fact that Green's best friend died of this particular form of recurring cancer and asked Green to write about it---and she did with this novel. Jane Green, I'm convinced, can write a very readable story about anything but she did a convincing job with the members of this family. I was a little confused with all of the recipes being included but it helped soften the difficulties being experienced. ( )
1 vote nyiper | Jul 12, 2015 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
http://www.BookCrossing.com/journal/12802526 ( )
  Nataliec7 | Jan 5, 2015 |
This was one of my favorite books by Jane Green! A very inspiring story of cancer, and as always, Cassandra Campbell is exceptional as the audio performer. However, would love to have a print copy of the book or e-book in order to dive into all the divine recipes. I found myself wanting to record them all – as sounded wonderful!

Jane did an incredible job writing this story, as motivation from her own friendship of a dear friend with cancer. This was truly a love story of family, friends, love and loss. I loved the characters and the different personalities ---the vegan tidbits, cooking, recipes, and the cottage in the country, the sisters bond, Steffi, the best friend, parents reuniting, and most of all… Callie and her love for her family, and even maintaining her humor even during her sickness. A must read!
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |

Green, Janeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Callie Perry has a pretty perfect life. It may not be everyone’s idea of happiness – her husband spends more time travelling for his job as a commercials director than he does at home – but it works for her. It gives her time to work – she is a successful family photographer – and be around for her two kids, and her friends. She lives in Bedford, New York, is beloved by all who know her, and wakes up every morning grateful for how happy she is.

Her younger sister, Steffi, the baby of the family, has never grown up. In her early thirties and the epitome of a free spirit, she’s never held down a job, or a boyfriend, for longer than six months. Her latest incarnation is as a vegan chef. She’s living with the latest unsuitable man, in a sixth floor walk up in Soho, and her parents have almost given up hope that she’ll ever learn what it is to be responsible.

Lila Grossman is Callie’s best friend. Single, she’s finally met the man of her dreams. Ed has a son she adores, a crazy ex-wife she doesn’t, and she finally feels ready to settle down. If, that is, their goals are the same.

And then there are Callie and Steff’s parents. Walter and Honor . Divorced for almost thirty years, they haven’t spoken for most of that time. They may share two grown-up daughters, but it is agreed by all who knew them, they share little else.

Until they all receive a shocking phone call that changes their lives forever, and brings them all together one short, snowy winter.

Promises to Keep is about the hard choices we sometimes have to make; about having to be a child, long after you’ve grown up, and mostly, about the enduring nature of love.

Plume

An edition of this book was published by Plume.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,503,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible