An Old-Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott

An Old-Fashioned Girl (1870)

by Louisa May Alcott

Member:lady_schrapnell
Title:An Old-Fashioned Girl
Authors:Louisa May Alcott
Info:

An Old-Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott (1870)

English (27)  Finnish (2)  All languages (29)
Written after Little Women, this is one of Alcott's YA novels about a poor young girls who, by sticking to her principles reforms the man of her dreams and ultimately finds happiness and true love with him.

The plot is mostly a formulaic 19th Century romance, but unlike many of this time, it does not devolve into sickenly sweet sentimentality. Polly Milton is a likeable heroine and we're happy when she finds true love a the end of the book. ( )
  etxgardener | Jan 15, 2018 |
Starting with FLATLAND, I'm reading all the Daily Lit books in Author sequence.

An Old Fashioned Girl is their second book.

Except for a few highlights, like the sled "Mezepa" and Polly discovering the reading of her journal, the story opens with a slow and often preachy plot
and characters who do develop, but too predictably throughout the book.

Yet, each character is deftly drawn and distinct as even Polly(anna) has her sharper moments.

Grandma and her stories are a standout - Lafayette is fun and memorable!

This was a surprise from the daughter of a famous abolitionist:
"...negro melodies a disgrace." It did not illuminate either a personality nor was it challenged.
Odd. There are many more Alcotts - maybe there will be a redemption of sorts. ( )
  m.belljackson | Jul 13, 2016 |
This is a lovely, somewhat weepy old-fashioned book really intended for teenagers but probably read more by younger girls and adults these days. It was written in about 1870 so inevitably the language is dated, and the style peppered with comments from the author about good mothers and the benefits of trials and tribulations. But these don't particularly worry me; I skim them and either smile or nod inwardly, depending on how quaint or accurate the author's perceptions are.

Louisa M Alcott is best-known for 'Little Women' and its sequels, but this particular book is my favourite of her novels. It's about Polly, a minister's daughter from the country, and her friend Fanny Shaw who is wealthy and lives in the city. The book starts with them both young teenagers, when Polly pays her first visit to the Shaws' home and finds herself taken to their hearts for her goodness, despite her rather old-fashioned ways. There are some charming interludes as Polly contrasts her own simple - but loving - lifestyle with that of her grand friends, and delights their grandmother with her attentions and interest in her anecdotes.

Then it fast-forwards six years to Polly coming back to the city to earn her living, and there are inevitable romances afoot. The plot itself isn't very exciting but in places I find it very moving and each time I read it, I find myself almost unable to put it down. I can easily see why this author's books have remained popular for over 130 years - no doubt they will still be around when today's children's books are long forgotten. ( )
1 vote SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
A sweet book which reminded me of the happy times reading the Little Women books when I was a child. Alcott always inspires me to better myself!
The first part stands somewhat alone and has a different feel to the 'six years later' section - more childish and simple. I wasn't surprised to learn that it had originally been serialised and the later section added to make it into a book.
Enjoyable and cosy read. ( )
  aine.fin | Aug 13, 2015 |
It may be set in the 19th century, but I could relate. ( )
  TrgLlyLibrarian | Feb 1, 2015 |

Louisa May Alcottprimary authorall editionscalculated
Abbott, ElenoreIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Becker, May LambertonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brundage, FrancesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Burd, Clara M.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reijonen, LyyliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, Jessie WilcoxIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"It's time to go to the station, Tom."

Polly Milton never questions the way she is until she visits her cousins in the city. Her cousin Fanny looks too glamorous to be Polly's age, and wouldn't be caught dead playing in the snow. Will Polly ever learn to be like the other girls? And does she even want to? Sometimes being old-fashioned is right in style.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:33 -0400)

Polly's friendship with the wealthy Shaws of Boston helps them to build a new life and teaches her the truth about the relationship between happiness and riches.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,763,149 books! | Top bar: Always visible