Beautiful Malice by Rebecca James

Beautiful Malice

by Rebecca James

English (66)  German (3)  All languages (69)
I won this book through Goodreads first-reads. I think that this book is a great read for a young teen, and was very easy to read. The cover design is very attractive and modern. The plot and story had a lot of promise and the opening lines draw you in but it could have gone further in character development. I found the story hard to relate to as an adult but the theme of the evil friend is universal to teenagers so many of that age will relate. The flashbacks were a tad annoying to me but kept you interested to find out what happened next.The typos were also frustrating and one would hope that in a larger edition that would be fixed. In all it was an interesting and enjoyable book for young teens 14-17yrs with a good resolution at the conclusion.

(Giving to si cotic ) ( )
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this one. I really enjoyed it, for the most part. The characters were good, the story was unique, and I found it rather difficult to put down. I think the main problem was that we already knew what happened. We're told at the start that her sister died, that Alice turns out to be cruel, that she has a daughter. So the rest of the book is just filling in the finer details. It was well written though and quite compelling. It's different, thought provoking, and really makes you question what you'd do if you were in Katherine's shoes. ( )
  nicola26 | Mar 30, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I read this fast-paced if sometimes predictable young adult thriller in two days. Even if you can see some of the plot twists from around the corner, you can't help rooting for Katherine, the book's heroine, as she struggles with demons from her past and confronts an unexpected and at-first-unrecognized enemy in the new life she tries to build for herself.

On a rather unimportant note, I do have to say I have no idea whether this book takes place in Australia or the US. There are signs that point at both but no location is ever outright named. I'm guessing the
Australian author wanted to keep the location vague to make it more appealing to readers from different places, but I was plain confused in a couple of spots in the book. It really doesn't affect the story as a whole, but it still bothered me. ( )
  sshartelg | Feb 15, 2012 |
Katherine Patterson has changed her name and moved cities. She is trying to start a new life at a new school to escape from the media, her guilt and her parent’s despair after the murder of her younger sister Rachel. After keeping her head down for a while she is befriended by the narcissistic and popular Alice. As the friendship develops it becomes clear that Alice is unpredictable and has sociopathic tendencies, but Katherine keeps forgiving her and shrugging off what she sees. The story jumps from the present into the past and the circumstances surrounding Rachel’s rape and murder. Katherine eventually finds love and a semblance of peace, but Alice’s behaviour becomes increasingly more vindictive. Just what is Alice’s ulterior motive and will Katherine fall into her trap? This is a psychological thriller probing the depths of despair, betrayal and revenge. Haunting. ( )
  boppisces | Sep 24, 2011 |
Won through First Reads! Looking forward to receiving it! Woohoo arrived today!Finally carved out some time to read Beautiful Malice. There was a lot to like in this novel - the premise is interesting and the language is accessible. There has been thought put into the motivations of the characters and the slow reveal of Katherine's tragedy was effective. It's an easy read - took me less than two hours.Though not specifically stated I feel this novel is written for a mature (15 ) YA audience. The protagonists are in their late teens, and their behaviour reflects that. The characters are not as well developed as they could be, there was little for them to push against to learn more about them outside their own relationships. The lack of adult/parental supervision stretches credibility a little seeming more convenient than necessary. I liked Katherine, I can understand her desire to cling to Alice's friendship, and her reluctance, once things got out of hand, to look for help from the adults in her life. Alice was a little too predictable, I would have liked her disintergration to be a bit more subtle.I am not sure that the shifts between past, present and future worked for me either, it interupted the flow and tension to move forward and then be able to predict how things turn out.I've gone with three stars though 2 and a half would be more accurate. Still a decent debut novel, James is an author with potential. ( )
  shelleyraec | May 9, 2011 |
For Hilary
I didn't go to Alice's funeral.

Who is Katherine Patterson? It is a question she hopes no one can answer. To erase her past, Katherine has moved to a new city, enrolled in a new school, and even changed her name. She's done the next best thing to disappearing altogether. Now, wary and alone, she seeks nothing more than anonymity. What she finds instead is the last thing she expected: a friend.

Even more unlikely, Katherine's new friend is the most popular and magnetic girl in school. Extroverted, gorgeous, flirtatious, and unpredictable, she is everything that Katherine is not and doesn't want to be: the center of attention. Yet Alice's enthusiasm is infectious, her candor sometimes unsettling, and Katherine, in spite of her guarded caution, finds herself drawn into Alice's private circle.

But Alice has secrets, too — darker than anyone can begin to imagine. And when she lets her guard down at last, Katherine discovers the darkest of them all. For there will be no escaping the past for Katherine Patterson — only a descent into a trap far more sinister... and infinitely more seductive.

To escape the media attention generated by her sister's murder, a grieving seventeen-year-old Australian girl moves away and meets a vibrant new friend who harbors a dangerous secret.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Beautiful Malice by Rebecca James was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,635,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible