Beautiful Malice by Rebecca James

Beautiful Malice

by Rebecca James

English (67)  German (3)  All languages (70)
For some odd unknown reason, I keep picking up these heart-wrenching, engaging and emotionally charged novels that leave my sobbing, clutching a pot of ice cream and wondering why the world hates me so much.

After the murder of her sister, Katherine Patterson moves in with her aunt Vivien, far away from her family and childhood home. She meets the charming, beguiling, eccentric Alice and immediately things begin to go back to normal for Katherine. She feels alive, wanted and loved. But little did she know that things were going to get bad very, very soon.

Just the blurb had me grasping for more, and within two pages I was completely entranced, so much so that I began reading this book at 6:30 this morning (2/1/2014) and finished it this evening at 19:30 (2/1/2014). Yep. After 13 hours, far too many coffees and cigarettes, torn up tissues and ugly sobs, I am proud to say I finished it.

Although it might not appeal to everyone, I definitely recommend it to everyone. The unbelievable twists, the agonising cruelty of the world through the eyes of a seventeen year old and a life full of obstacles that seem impossible to overcome, you live and breathe the story just like Katherine does. You feel, you cry and laugh along with her and yeah, sometimes you get angry, annoyed maybe even violent towards those who cause her pain, and yeah at the end you're left empty and emotionless like you might feel after a crazily emotional ride, but it's worth it. The tubs of ice cream, hysteria inducing coffees and boxes of tissues are WORTH IT.

So please, even if you think or know you won't like it, give it a shot.

Because chances are, you're wrong. ( )
  Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |
I won this book through Goodreads first-reads. I think that this book is a great read for a young teen, and was very easy to read. The cover design is very attractive and modern. The plot and story had a lot of promise and the opening lines draw you in but it could have gone further in character development. I found the story hard to relate to as an adult but the theme of the evil friend is universal to teenagers so many of that age will relate. The flashbacks were a tad annoying to me but kept you interested to find out what happened next.The typos were also frustrating and one would hope that in a larger edition that would be fixed. In all it was an interesting and enjoyable book for young teens 14-17yrs with a good resolution at the conclusion.

(Giving to si cotic ) ( )
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this one. I really enjoyed it, for the most part. The characters were good, the story was unique, and I found it rather difficult to put down. I think the main problem was that we already knew what happened. We're told at the start that her sister died, that Alice turns out to be cruel, that she has a daughter. So the rest of the book is just filling in the finer details. It was well written though and quite compelling. It's different, thought provoking, and really makes you question what you'd do if you were in Katherine's shoes. ( )
  nicola26 | Mar 30, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I read this fast-paced if sometimes predictable young adult thriller in two days. Even if you can see some of the plot twists from around the corner, you can't help rooting for Katherine, the book's heroine, as she struggles with demons from her past and confronts an unexpected and at-first-unrecognized enemy in the new life she tries to build for herself.

On a rather unimportant note, I do have to say I have no idea whether this book takes place in Australia or the US. There are signs that point at both but no location is ever outright named. I'm guessing the
Australian author wanted to keep the location vague to make it more appealing to readers from different places, but I was plain confused in a couple of spots in the book. It really doesn't affect the story as a whole, but it still bothered me. ( )
  sshartelg | Feb 15, 2012 |
Katherine Patterson has changed her name and moved cities. She is trying to start a new life at a new school to escape from the media, her guilt and her parent’s despair after the murder of her younger sister Rachel. After keeping her head down for a while she is befriended by the narcissistic and popular Alice. As the friendship develops it becomes clear that Alice is unpredictable and has sociopathic tendencies, but Katherine keeps forgiving her and shrugging off what she sees. The story jumps from the present into the past and the circumstances surrounding Rachel’s rape and murder. Katherine eventually finds love and a semblance of peace, but Alice’s behaviour becomes increasingly more vindictive. Just what is Alice’s ulterior motive and will Katherine fall into her trap? This is a psychological thriller probing the depths of despair, betrayal and revenge. Haunting. ( )
  boppisces | Sep 24, 2011 |
For Hilary
I didn't go to Alice's funeral.

Who is Katherine Patterson? It is a question she hopes no one can answer. To erase her past, Katherine has moved to a new city, enrolled in a new school, and even changed her name. She's done the next best thing to disappearing altogether. Now, wary and alone, she seeks nothing more than anonymity. What she finds instead is the last thing she expected: a friend.

Even more unlikely, Katherine's new friend is the most popular and magnetic girl in school. Extroverted, gorgeous, flirtatious, and unpredictable, she is everything that Katherine is not and doesn't want to be: the center of attention. Yet Alice's enthusiasm is infectious, her candor sometimes unsettling, and Katherine, in spite of her guarded caution, finds herself drawn into Alice's private circle.

But Alice has secrets, too — darker than anyone can begin to imagine. And when she lets her guard down at last, Katherine discovers the darkest of them all. For there will be no escaping the past for Katherine Patterson — only a descent into a trap far more sinister... and infinitely more seductive.

To escape the media attention generated by her sister's murder, a grieving seventeen-year-old Australian girl moves away and meets a vibrant new friend who harbors a dangerous secret.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Beautiful Malice by Rebecca James was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,750,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible