Bunny Days by Tao Nyeu

Bunny Days (edition 2010)

by Tao Nyeu, Tao Nyeu (Illustrator)

Member:attebb
Title:Bunny Days
Authors:Tao Nyeu
Other authors:Tao Nyeu (Illustrator)
Info:Dial (2010), Hardcover, 48 pages
Collections:Picture Books, RDG 560
Rating:**
Tags:Bear, Bunnies, Goats, Friends, Handy, Fixing, Messes, Living Harmoniously

Bunny Days by Tao Nyeu

2010 (2) 4-8 (1) bear (4) bears (7) bunnies (12) children (2) children's (6) dusting (1) dusty (1) fiction (3) First Printing (1) fixing (3) forest (1) friends (3) gardening (1) gardens (1) gentle (1) goats (11) illustrated (2) laundry (1) pastels (1) picture book (17) preschool (1) problem solving (3) rabbits (3) repair (1) sewing (1) tails (2) toddler (1) washing (3)

Six innocent little bunnies find themselves the victims of Mr. and Mrs. Goat's carelessness in Tao Nyeu's Bunny Days, but luckily, they are always able to take their troubles to Bear, who also starred in the author's debut (wordless) picture-book, Wonder Bear. Whether they need to be cleaned up, after Mr. Goat gets mud all over them, in Muddy Bunnies; dusted off, after Mrs. Goat accidentally vacuums them up, in Dusty Bunnies; or sewn back together, when Mr. Goat snips off their tails by mistake, in Bunny Tails; Bear always knows what to do...

Apparently, some reviewers find Bunny Days, in which the fluffy little creatures are washed in a machine and hung out to dry on a clothesline, dusted off with a high-powered fan, and made whole again with a sewing machine, rather sadistic. I confess that, although I can see why the parents of very sensitive younger children might want to be cautious about reading this one at bedtime, I found it hilarious. Then again, I'm not a toddler, and loved The Book of Bunny Suicides. The illustrations, done on silkscreen with water-based ink, are absolutely adorable, and as an added bonus, the dust-jacket can be removed, and unfolded into a gorgeous poster! ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 16, 2013 |
I really did not care for this book. While it is meant for young readers based on the very simple, brief language, I thought the stories were not very creative and a little disturbing. There are 3 separate stories about bunnies that get into trouble. The first time the bunnies get put into the washing machine and hung to dry, the second story the bunnies get sucked up by a vacuum and the third story the bunny's tail gets cute off and has to be sewn back on.
Maybe as an older reader I saw these stories as unrealistic and killing the bunnies, so possibly a younger reader could find some humor in them. ( )
  claireforhan | Feb 4, 2013 |
I had high hopes after reading another one of Tao Nyeu's books, but this book did not have the same appeal. The story was split into three sections about bunnies and goats who get into trouble, but have Bear to help clean up and fix the mess. It is an easy read for beginner readers and the illustrations would be appealing for younger children, but the story does not have any depth to it compared to other books. ( )
  attebb | Nov 18, 2012 |
Featured at An Abundance of Books

I had to think about this book for a bit. When I first saw it I was immediately captured by the colors and the illustration style and thought it would be a nice compliment to Little White Rabbit. My initial reading of Bunny Days went something like this:

"Oh look at these colors, the bunnies are so cute! Eeee!" (That's my weird happy/excited noise)

"Hrm, we might have to remind classes that you can't really put people or animals in the washing machine. Some of our kids might try it. It's a cute picture… maybe a little disturbing… The clothes line looks uncomfortable and bunnies in the basket look dead. Oh look, they snuggle… it's still disturbing."

"Clever titles and those bunnies look so cute in their burrow. OH MY GOD, ALL OF THE BUNNIES ARE BEING SUCKED OUT OF THEIR HOME!... What is the deal with hanging these guys on clothes lines?"

"The goat has trimming shears, I don't even have to turn the page to know this ends badly. AAAAHHH! HE CUT OFF THEIR TAILS!! THERE ARE SAD LITTLE BUNNIES RUNNING AROUND WITH NO TAILS!" (At this point I'm completely traumatized and quite possibly over caffeinated.)

I really was saying this out loud and I'm pretty sure our new teachers all think I'm insane. I showed Bunny Days to a few teachers who all thought it was hysterical but that it should come with warnings for little ones and might even make some kids cry. The colors and the pictures are wonderful and the episodic stories are pretty cute and filled with visual jokes. Really, if you think about it, it's no more violent then some children's classics.

I don't know, I just can't get past my first reaction. This is out of character for me since I like picture books were people get eaten. I have students who enjoyed this book but I really think this one depends on the audience and how it's interpreted. (And how much caffeine you may have had that morning.)

Verdict:
Um, it's really pretty? Seriously, the illustrations are great and just about everybody who's read the book has enjoyed it. I think this is one for each reader to look at and decide.

Read full review HERE ( )
  AbundanceofBooks | Jan 3, 2012 |
Cute illustrations.

Some potentially disturbing/scary situations, but serves purpose to help child deal with a favorite stuffed animal go through the wash/getting an appending repaired, etc.

Thought the gender roles were so-so, since everyone keeps going to a male bear for help.
  SJKessel | Nov 19, 2010 |

Six frolicking bunnies, two busy goats, and a very handy bear live harmoniously—though not without mishap—in this picture book charmer. What do the bunnies do when Mr. Goat drives by on his tractor and accidentally splashes them all over with mud? They hop over to Bear, who always knows just how to help—in this case, with the delicate cycle and a refreshing line dry! Two additional stories are even more surprising and giggle-worthy.

All’s well that ends well in this eye-catching, endearing treat of a book, full of funny details and exhilarating artistry.

Watch a Video

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:02 -0400)

As a pair of busy goats inadvertently cause trouble for six bunnies, their neighbor Bear comes to the rescue.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,691,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible