Russka by Edward Rutherfurd

Russka (original 1991; edition 1991)

by Edward Rutherfurd

Member:richardderus
Title:Russka
Authors:Edward Rutherfurd
Info:Crown (1991), Edition: 1st ed, Hardcover
Rating:***
Tags:box 29, fiction, historical fiction, novel, saga

Russka by Edward Rutherfurd (1991)

Recently added bySharonFryer, swade79, papabauer, private library, 1532Mass, KellyWolf, INorris, barefootcowgirl

English (17)  French (1)  All languages (18)
It took me longer than I thought to realize that the book was too long and, really, boring as a Russian stepp..
It is my first Rutherfurd book and the subject was really of me interest, but it seems the historic and the romance does not match…also it could be very nice if, after that huge research, he could write more about everyday life of the people.
Sometimes I think he missed the opportunity to make it more interesting adding pictoresque facts such: the title Czar was a Russian short for Caesar. It is a detail, but...
Anyway, I tried…I tried hard, but I could not get it to the end.
  palu | Jul 9, 2016 |
It's been a long time since I read this book, so the details are a bit fuzzy, but one thing I do know is that at the time I really enjoyed it. It's now sitting on my 'to re-read' shelf (which is somewhere in the fuzzy memory circuits of my brain).
  Garrison0550 | May 5, 2016 |
I just finished a wonderful trip back into time -- The settings, the people, even the smells of Russia came alive. When will this author write more? ( )
  maryreinert | Aug 16, 2013 |
Not a review exactly! I found this a very heavy read with unpronouncable names and places! Not for me I am afraid I must be one of the faint hearted sara.edens mentions!! ( )
  Glorybe1 | May 19, 2013 |
This book is respectfully dedicated
to those now rebuilding the monastic
community of Optina Pustyn.
The steppe was quiet that night.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0804109729, Mass Market Paperback)

"Impressive."
THE WASHINGTON POST BOOK WORLD
Spanning 1800 years of Russia's history, people, poltics, and culture, Edward Rurtherford, author of the phenomenally successful SARUM: THE NOVEL OF ENGLAND, tells a grand saga that is as multifaceted as Russia itself. Here is a story of a great civilization made human, played out through the lives of four families who are divided by ethnicity but united in shaping the destiny of their land.
"Rutherford's RUSSKA succeeds....[He] can take his place among an elite cadre of chroniclers such as Harold Lamb, Maurice Hindus and Henri Troyat."
SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:46 -0400)

Story of four families covering 1800 years of Russian history.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,499,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible