Russka by Edward Rutherfurd

Russka (original 1991; edition 1991)

by Edward Rutherfurd

Member:richardderus
Title:Russka
Authors:Edward Rutherfurd
Info:Crown (1991), Edition: 1st ed, Hardcover
Rating:***
Tags:box 29, fiction, historical fiction, novel, saga

Russka by Edward Rutherfurd (1991)

English (19)  French (1)  All (20)
Historical novel of Russia ( )
  JackSweeney | Jan 10, 2017 |
Warning: this review contains spoilers.

****

Declaring this a DNF. The problem for me is that there are too many macho men in this story and not enough women. Perhaps there are more women in the latter half of the book, but I've given up trying to find out. Also, the incest rape was totally unnecessary and pretty much killed most of my impetus to keep reading. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Dec 28, 2016 |
Sometimes I love the works of Edward Rutherfurd - sometimes not. 'Russka' fell somewhere in the middle for me. Like Rutherfurd's other novels, Russka attempts to tell the story of a city (or country) by following a number of fictional families from pre-history to the present day and sets their stories against the backdrop of historical characters and events. I found this book to be very slow-going in parts, especially at the beginning.

Rutherfurd is known for his extensive research and this was most evident while reading the book. I never felt a connection to the families, however. I'm not sure what the problem was but there wasn't a single fictional character that I would have wanted to have a coffee or a chat with. However, the 'history' part was very engrossing, especially as the story headed into more modern times. Maybe Russia is just too large a country with too much history to fit into 950 pages and do any era justice.

I usually like to read in the evening and sometimes go to bed early just so I can read a few extra chapters. I was happy enough to keep reading Russka but the book never made me want to go to bed early so I could read more - except on the last day of reading when I saw the end approaching and kept reading so I could be finished with it. ( )
  EvelynBernard | Dec 15, 2016 |
It took me longer than I thought to realize that the book was too long and, really, boring as a Russian stepp..
It is my first Rutherfurd book and the subject was really of me interest, but it seems the historic and the romance does not match…also it could be very nice if, after that huge research, he could write more about everyday life of the people.
Sometimes I think he missed the opportunity to make it more interesting adding pictoresque facts such: the title Czar was a Russian short for Caesar. It is a detail, but...
Anyway, I tried…I tried hard, but I could not get it to the end.
  palu | Jul 9, 2016 |
It's been a long time since I read this book, so the details are a bit fuzzy, but one thing I do know is that at the time I really enjoyed it. It's now sitting on my 'to re-read' shelf (which is somewhere in the fuzzy memory circuits of my brain).
  Garrison0550 | May 5, 2016 |
This book is respectfully dedicated
to those now rebuilding the monastic
community of Optina Pustyn.
The steppe was quiet that night.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0804109729, Mass Market Paperback)

"Impressive."
THE WASHINGTON POST BOOK WORLD
Spanning 1800 years of Russia's history, people, poltics, and culture, Edward Rurtherford, author of the phenomenally successful SARUM: THE NOVEL OF ENGLAND, tells a grand saga that is as multifaceted as Russia itself. Here is a story of a great civilization made human, played out through the lives of four families who are divided by ethnicity but united in shaping the destiny of their land.
"Rutherford's RUSSKA succeeds....[He] can take his place among an elite cadre of chroniclers such as Harold Lamb, Maurice Hindus and Henri Troyat."
SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:46 -0400)

Story of four families covering 1800 years of Russian history.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,255,584 books! | Top bar: Always visible