HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Big news! LibraryThing is now free to all! Read the blog post and discuss the change on Talk.
dismiss
This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. By using LibraryThing you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your use of the site and services is subject to these policies and terms.
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Loading...

Darkly Dreaming Dexter (2004)

by Jeff Lindsay

Other authors: See the other authors section.

Series: Dexter (1)

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
5,7892481,235 (3.68)247
Meet Dexter Morgan, a polite wolf in sheep's clothing. He's handsome and charming, but something in his past has made him abide by a different set of rules. He's a serial killer whose one golden rule makes him immensely likeable: he only kills bad people. And his job as a blood splatter expert for the Miami police department puts him in the perfect position to identify his victims. But when a series of brutal murders bearing a striking similarity to his own style start turning up, Dexter is caught between being flattered and being frightened -- of himself or some other fiend.… (more)
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 247 mentions

English (243)  Hungarian (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (248)
Showing 1-5 of 243 (next | show all)
Not deep or challenging, but entertaining. If you are familiar with the show, you know the story. Dexter is a serial killer with a moral code: he only kills other serial killers. He is helping his sister, a cop, track down one such and discovers his own origin story. I thought this had a sense of humor and a good pace. I was not surprised by the twists since I've already seen the series, so I can't comment on that. I thought the characterization, except Dexter himself, was very thin, though, and the portrayals of the women were especially shallow. Although since this is first-person narrative, it's hard to tell whether that's lazy writing or just Dexter's filter. ( )
  sturlington | Aug 4, 2020 |
Two clean-cut killers
fairly useless detectives
even Deb is dumb. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
A ver cómo se lo describo en pocas palabras: Dexter es un psicópata asesino en serie con 36 muertos a sus espaldas y es, además, el bueno de la novela. Un planteamiento así llama la atención, desde luego. Dexter trabaja para la policía de Miami como analista de patrones de salpicaduras de sangre (hiperespecialización, se llama eso). Tiene una hermana policía y un montón de tiempo libre.
Cuando Dexter era pequeño, Harry, su padre adoptivo, descubrió pronto sus instintos asesinos. Perros chillones de vecinos que desaparecían, ratones y lagartijas troceaditos a cuchillo escondidos en el cubo de la basura y cosas así. Así que en lugar de intentar cambiar la mente de un psicópata, intentó reconducirla hacia el Bien. Y entrenó a Dexter, según las normas del código de Harry, para que sólo matase a gente que se lo merecía, y además lo hiciera sin que le pillaran. Dexter recibió una estupenda formación en métodos de asesinato, de preparación de crímenes y de ocultación de pruebas, y hasta la fecha sigue matando pederastas y asesinos en sus ratos libres sin que nadie le moleste. Dexter es, en sus propias palabras, un monstruo muy pulcro. Pero todo cambia cuando un nuevo asesino en serie entra en escena en Miami…
La novela es fantástica. Está bien escrita y nos deja bucear en el mundo interior de Dexter sin llegar a aburrirnos. Como psicópata que es, Dexter es impermeable a los sentimientos, pero ha aprendido a simularlos lo suficientemente bien como para no infundir sospechas, salvo al sargento Doakes, que se la tiene jurada.
La trama está muy bien montada, y no pierde el interés. Abrí la primera página y no pude dejar de leer. Sobre este libro y su continuación, que estoy terminando, se hizo una serie de televisión, que se desvía bastante del guión de las novelas. La serie es también fantástica. Se llama Dexter y pueden conseguirla en la mula en versión original subtitulada. Son doce capítulos muy recomendables. En junio de este año sale la tercera novela de Dexter, que compraré ipso facto.
Novela negra, humor negro y un pasajero no negro pero sí oscuro, el pasajero oscuro del fondo de su mente al que Dexter cede el control en las noches de luna llena, cuando sale a ajusticiar criminales por la vía B en los recovecos de Miami. Totalmente recomendable. No sé cómo será la traducción, pero el original se sale.
Mi nota: Muy, muy recomendable. ( )
  Remocpi | Apr 22, 2020 |
The concept of someone with an uncontrollable urge to kill channeling that urge toward killing only evil people fascinates me. That someone is Dexter Morgan and we have something in common. Neither one of us were completely satisfied by the goings on in this novel. While Dexter will keep on killing to try and quench his thirst, I won’t be reading any further hoping to quench mine.

I first became aware of Dexter though the TV series. I had been curious about it for some time—when I finally binge watched the entire run I found it to be the very definition of erratic. Some of it was exhilarating, marvelous work but some of it was so mind-numbingly dumb that I questioned the existence of a benevolent God. While I thought the series ended on a high note, the final shot of the final scene was perfect, I couldn’t help wondering if the books would be better.

Regarding this first book in the series—meh! It managed to keep my interest tethered but never bound. If the TV series swung high and low, the book towed a modest steady line. In order to kill evil people Dexter has to find evil people and replacing some form of detective work with hunches and dreams got old really fast. The prose and pacing were fair and a tense scene in a house under construction was compelling and pardon the turn of phrase but well-constructed but contrasting his dark mind against the sunny Miami locale was soil left untilled. Maybe the author was thinking series from the beginning and thought he had only to whet the appetite with a first book. I would have preferred the whole meal. ( )
  KurtWombat | Sep 15, 2019 |
Although the 1st season of Dexter was adapted from this book, there are definitely some significant differences, and I actually preferred the book. You get a better sense of just how messed up Dexter really is and how his Dark Passenger is almost like a possessing spirit urging Dexter on. Very enjoyable read. ( )
  jrg1316 | Jun 20, 2019 |
Showing 1-5 of 243 (next | show all)
For the last word on serial killers, leave it to the witty narrator of Jeff Lindsay's ghoulish first novel, DARKLY DREAMING DEXTER (Doubleday, $22.95). Articulate, well-mannered and charming in a way that makes women want to iron the loud bowling shirts he wears, Dexter Morgan is a contented man because he loves his work -- not his day job as a blood-spatter-pattern analyst for the Miami Police Department, but his moonlight career as a vigilante serial killer.
 
Dexter Morgan, the strenuously affable narrator of Jeff Lindsay's Darkly Dreaming Dexter, may be the first serial killer who unabashedly solicits our love. A psychopath so cuddly and upstanding that he only murders ''bad people,'' Dex introduces himself one moonlit night as he gleefully snuffs the life of a child-killing priest. ''A few more neatly wrapped bags of garbage and my one small corner of the world is a neater, happier place,'' he announces. ''I enjoy my work. Sorry if that bothers you. Oh, very sorry, really. But there it is.''
 

» Add other authors (21 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Jeff Lindsayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Windsor, Michael J.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Information from the Italian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
For Hilary
who is everything to me
First words
Moon.
Quotations
Except in my sleep, of course—and did that really count? Weren't we all crazy in our sleep? What was sleep, after all, but the process by which we dumped our insanity into a dark subconscious pit and came out on the other side ready to eat cereal instead of the neighbor's children?
Again I saw in her face the thing I had seen when she first got out of her car—the look of a predator weighing her prey, wondering when and where to strike, and how many claws to use. It was horrible—I actually found myself warming to the woman.
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language
Canonical DDC/MDS

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (4)

No library descriptions found.

Book description
Haiku summary

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.68)
0.5 2
1 32
1.5 7
2 155
2.5 25
3 490
3.5 132
4 757
4.5 46
5 352

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,911,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible