Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

Darkly Dreaming Dexter (2004)

by Jeff Lindsay

Series: Dexter (1)

English (226)  Hungarian (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All (231)
I've only watched one episode of Dexter and seen it was a book series. So of course I was intrigued and decided to read the first book. It was ok.

For the rest of the review, visit my blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/126787.html ( )
  booklover3258 | Apr 24, 2017 |
I suspected this book would not be nearly as interesting and well executed as the television series, and I was right. Boresville. The folks at Showtime did a fantastic job of incorporating the good parts and improving upon the clichés, poor characterization, and ridiculous dialogue. I did not get even a third of the way through this book before I decided to stop reading, although I was glad to get another perspective of Masuoka that is not explored as much in the series. That is the only worthwhile nugget in this book as far as I can see. ( )
  woolgathering | Apr 4, 2017 |
Synopsis: Dexter was abandoned as a young child and raised by a policeman, Harry. Harry realized early on that Dexter had been horribly affected by the trauma of abandonment and helped him learn to function among 'normal humans'. He also taught Dexter how to find people the law could not catch who were doing horrible things and to dispatch them without leaving a trace.The reader's first encounter with Dexter is finding him abducting a priest who had been killing homeless orphans without getting caught and rendering him unable to continue to perpetrate those crimes. Deborah, Dexter's adopted sister, followed in Harry's footsteps and became a cop. She doesn't find out about Dexter's predilections until she is kidnapped by a serial killer.
Review: Interesting story with and equally interesting twist. It's hard not to like Dexter, but it's also hard to like him. However, I hope he doesn't get caught as long as he follows Harry's rules. ( )
  DrLed | Feb 17, 2017 |
3.5 stars

I am definitely planning to read the next book and eventually watch the show. The storyline wasn't amazing to me, but the whole idea of him and what will happen next really interests me. I didn't care much about anyone else in the story except his foster father, but I super enjoyed his inner thoughts and his dark passenger conflicts. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
3.5 stars

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
For the last word on serial killers, leave it to the witty narrator of Jeff Lindsay's ghoulish first novel, DARKLY DREAMING DEXTER (Doubleday, $22.95). Articulate, well-mannered and charming in a way that makes women want to iron the loud bowling shirts he wears, Dexter Morgan is a contented man because he loves his work -- not his day job as a blood-spatter-pattern analyst for the Miami Police Department, but his moonlight career as a vigilante serial killer.

Dexter Morgan, the strenuously affable narrator of Jeff Lindsay's Darkly Dreaming Dexter, may be the first serial killer who unabashedly solicits our love. A psychopath so cuddly and upstanding that he only murders ''bad people,'' Dex introduces himself one moonlit night as he gleefully snuffs the life of a child-killing priest. ''A few more neatly wrapped bags of garbage and my one small corner of the world is a neater, happier place,'' he announces. ''I enjoy my work. Sorry if that bothers you. Oh, very sorry, really. But there it is.''

Jeff Lindsayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Windsor, Michael J.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Hilary
who is everything to me
Moon.
Except in my sleep, of course—and did that really count? Weren't we all crazy in our sleep? What was sleep, after all, but the process by which we dumped our insanity into a dark subconscious pit and came out on the other side ready to eat cereal instead of the neighbor's children?
Again I saw in her face the thing I had seen when she first got out of her car—the look of a predator weighing her prey, wondering when and where to strike, and how many claws to use. It was horrible—I actually found myself warming to the woman.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307277887, Paperback)

Meet Dexter Morgan. He's a highly respected lab technician specializing in blood spatter for the Miami Dade Police Department. He's a handsome, though reluctant, ladies' man. He's polite, says all the right things, and rarely calls attention to himself. He's also a sociopathic serial killer whose "Dark Passenger" drives him to commit the occasional dismemberment.

Mind you, Dexter's the good guy in this story.

Adopted at the age of four after an unnamed tragedy left him orphaned, Dexter's learned, with help from his pragmatic policeman father, to channel his "gift," killing only those who deal in death themselves. But when a new serial killer starts working in Miami, staging elaborately grisly scenes that are, to Dexter, an obvious attempt at communication from one monster to another, the eponymous protagonist finds himself at a loss. Should he help his policewoman sister Deborah earn a promotion to the Homicide desk by finding the fiend? Or should he locate this new killer himself, so he can express his admiration for the other's "art?" Or is it possible that psycho Dexter himself, admittedly not the most balanced of fellows, is finally going completely insane and committing these messy crimes himself?

Despite his penchant for vivisection, it's hard not to like Dexter as his coldly logical personality struggles to emulate emotions he doesn't feel and to keep up his appearance as a caring, unremarkable human being. Breakout author Jeff Lindsay's plot is tense and absorbing, but it's the voice of Dexter and his reactions to the other characters that will keep readers glued to Darkly Dreaming Dexter, as well as making it one of the most original and highly recommended serial killer stories in a long time. --Benjamin Reese

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:59 -0400)

Hiding a secret life as an assassin while working as a murder analyst for the Miami police, Dexter Morgan is intrigued by the work of a new serial killer whose style mimics his own.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,080,205 books! | Top bar: Always visible