Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

Darkly Dreaming Dexter (original 2004; edition 2006)

by Jeff Lindsay (Author)

Series: Dexter (1)

Member:JenMat
Title:Darkly Dreaming Dexter
Authors:Jeff Lindsay (Author)
Info:Vintage Crime/Black Lizard (2006), 288 pages

Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay (2004)

English (242)  Hungarian (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (247)
This is the story of a man named Dexter which Amazon calls "A polite wolf in Sheep's Clothing". He is a serial killer but he has a rule - he can only kill bad people. He has had sometime "off" about him since he was a child and taken in by an adoptive family. Now he works as a blood splatter expert for the police. This position helps him identify his victims. Now he is involved in a murder case that seems to be trying to be a copy cat of his own crimes. As one murder proceeds another, Dexter becomes more and more involved in trying to figure out who is committing them. He has mixed feelings - he wants to stop the killer because this person is killing innocent people. But he is also transfixed with the details and way this killer presents his victims.

This was a pretty good story. I had watched a few episodes of this show when it first started, and found it mildly entertaining. So I knew what I was getting into when I picked this book. The book - as usual - explained a lot more in detail the character and why he is the way he is. Dexter is emotionless - he cannot feel love or empathy for others. He never has. But he has had great practice of "playing human" and to the public he comes off as a kind, caring, well meaning person.

I recommend this book. Now that you know that the story is about, you can make your own decisions about reading this type of topic. But it was told well. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
Just couldn't get into this book. The character talks to himself way to much and the story just really took ever to go anywhere. I wanted to check out the books because of the series on Showtime, but I am just not feeling it. ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Nov 29, 2018 |
Again with the series firsts—an occupational hazard. Dexter is such a great character creation, so I savored the entire book…right up to the epilogue, which was quite untidy by Dexter (and Harry) standards. A thriller shouldn’t leave you thinking, “Huh?”— even after you re-read the ending. Too much of a head-scratcher than cliff hanger for me to want to pick up the next one in the series. ( )
  mtbass | Nov 23, 2018 |
Not as good as the show. But interesting. Not opposed to reading the next one ( )
  Vulco1 | Oct 12, 2018 |
I watched the tv show first, which I loved. The books are even creepier. Dexter is an unrepentant psychopathic serial killer, but he only kills people worse than he is. Not because of conscience, but because of the rules to live by taught by his foster father. The first rule is Don't Get Caught. Creepy but great. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
For the last word on serial killers, leave it to the witty narrator of Jeff Lindsay's ghoulish first novel, DARKLY DREAMING DEXTER (Doubleday, $22.95). Articulate, well-mannered and charming in a way that makes women want to iron the loud bowling shirts he wears, Dexter Morgan is a contented man because he loves his work -- not his day job as a blood-spatter-pattern analyst for the Miami Police Department, but his moonlight career as a vigilante serial killer.

Dexter Morgan, the strenuously affable narrator of Jeff Lindsay's Darkly Dreaming Dexter, may be the first serial killer who unabashedly solicits our love. A psychopath so cuddly and upstanding that he only murders ''bad people,'' Dex introduces himself one moonlit night as he gleefully snuffs the life of a child-killing priest. ''A few more neatly wrapped bags of garbage and my one small corner of the world is a neater, happier place,'' he announces. ''I enjoy my work. Sorry if that bothers you. Oh, very sorry, really. But there it is.''

Jeff Lindsayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Windsor, Michael J.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Hilary
who is everything to me
Moon.
Except in my sleep, of course—and did that really count? Weren't we all crazy in our sleep? What was sleep, after all, but the process by which we dumped our insanity into a dark subconscious pit and came out on the other side ready to eat cereal instead of the neighbor's children?
Again I saw in her face the thing I had seen when she first got out of her car—the look of a predator weighing her prey, wondering when and where to strike, and how many claws to use. It was horrible—I actually found myself warming to the woman.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307277887, Paperback)

Meet Dexter Morgan. He's a highly respected lab technician specializing in blood spatter for the Miami Dade Police Department. He's a handsome, though reluctant, ladies' man. He's polite, says all the right things, and rarely calls attention to himself. He's also a sociopathic serial killer whose "Dark Passenger" drives him to commit the occasional dismemberment.

Mind you, Dexter's the good guy in this story.

Adopted at the age of four after an unnamed tragedy left him orphaned, Dexter's learned, with help from his pragmatic policeman father, to channel his "gift," killing only those who deal in death themselves. But when a new serial killer starts working in Miami, staging elaborately grisly scenes that are, to Dexter, an obvious attempt at communication from one monster to another, the eponymous protagonist finds himself at a loss. Should he help his policewoman sister Deborah earn a promotion to the Homicide desk by finding the fiend? Or should he locate this new killer himself, so he can express his admiration for the other's "art?" Or is it possible that psycho Dexter himself, admittedly not the most balanced of fellows, is finally going completely insane and committing these messy crimes himself?

Despite his penchant for vivisection, it's hard not to like Dexter as his coldly logical personality struggles to emulate emotions he doesn't feel and to keep up his appearance as a caring, unremarkable human being. Breakout author Jeff Lindsay's plot is tense and absorbing, but it's the voice of Dexter and his reactions to the other characters that will keep readers glued to Darkly Dreaming Dexter, as well as making it one of the most original and highly recommended serial killer stories in a long time. --Benjamin Reese

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:59 -0400)

Hiding a secret life as an assassin while working as a murder analyst for the Miami police, Dexter Morgan is intrigued by the work of a new serial killer whose style mimics his own.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,584,051 books! | Top bar: Always visible