Skeleton Coast (The Oregon Files) by Clive…

Skeleton Coast (The Oregon Files) (edition 2012)

by Clive Cussler, Jack Du Brul

987198,696 (3.67)1 / 29
Member:Wyatt41
Title:Skeleton Coast (The Oregon Files)
Authors:Clive Cussler
Other authors:Jack Du Brul
Info:Berkley (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 544 pages

Skeleton Coast by Clive Cussler

English (17)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  English (19)
You are always in for a rip roaring adventure when you read one of the books in The Oregon Files series. The fourth book, Skeleton Coast, starts out with an interesting prologue set in 1896 where four Englishmen are fleeing across the Kalahari Desert with stolen diamonds. They reach the HMS Rove just as the Herero warriors reach them, and what happens next is anyone's guess. Coming forward to present time, we meet the intrepid crew of the Oregon, a high tech ship disguised as a decrepit tramp steamer. They have been on a mission to deliver tagged weapons to Congolese rebels so the CIA can track them. When they hear about the kidnapping of Geoffrey Merrick, a famous industrialist, they decide to stick around for awhile.

If you've never read an Oregon Files book, let me briefly explain that the crew is a “corporation” that takes high paying jobs while disguising their intelligence gathering resources. Ex CIA agent, Juan Cabrillo, and his crew do anything and everything they can to complete their mission. Each and every character is interesting, especially Juan, and this book focuses a lot on him and some of the things that have happened to him in his past.

This series is like going to an action movie. There are multiple plots including environments terrorism, global warming and stolen diamonds. I thought it was an entertaining story with non stop action, maybe too much for some people. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Sep 16, 2016 |
Overall this was an enjoyable book. I particularly enjoyed the first chapter, which gave the backstory from the 19th Century, and was a good read on it's own. There was plenty of action, and if I was to be very picky possibly too much action which detracted to a certain extent from the flow if the story (at least for me!). I did enjoy the book, the characters, the plot line, the dialogue, however I feel it could have benefited from shorter chapters in places. It is an enjoyable series but with a few tweaks could easily be lifted to an excellent series. I do intend to continue reading the series. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Sep 14, 2016 |
Book Description
Juan Cabrillo and the crew of the covert combat ship Oregon have barely escaped a mission on the Congo River when they intercept a mayday from a defenseless boat under fire off the African coast. Cabrillo takes action, saving the beautiful Sloane Macintyre-who's looking for a long-submerged ship that may hold a fortune in diamonds. But what surprises Cabrillo is her story about a crazy fisherman who claims to have been attacked on the open sea by giant metal snakes in the same area.

What begins as a snake hunt leads Cabrillo onto the trail of a far more lethal quarry -- a deranged militant and his followers who plan to unleash the devastating power of nature itself against all who oppose them.

My Review
This was the 4th book in the Oregon series. I did enjoy the story lines but some of the technical stuff is way over my head. I like the crew members very much and find the characters very interesting. I will continue reading on as I want to see what else Juan Cabrillo and crew will get involved it. I would recommend these books to those who love adventure stories. ( )
  EadieB | Sep 12, 2016 |
[Skeleton Coast] by Clive Cussler & Jack DuBrul
Oregon Files series Boo# 4 (group read)
4 ★'s

From The Book:
juan Cabrillo and the crew of the covert combat ship Oregon have barely escaped a mission on the Congo River when they intercept a mayday from a defenseless boat under fire off the African coast. Cabrillo takes action, saving the beautiful Sloane Macintyre - who's looking for a long-submerged ship that may hold a fortune in diamonds. But what surprises Cabrillo is her story about a crazy fisherman who claims to have been attacked on the open sea by giant metal snakes in the same area.What begins as a snake hunt leads Cabrillo onto the trail of a far more lethal quarry - a deranged militant and his followers who plan to unleash the devastating power of nature itself against all who oppose them.

My Thoughts:
The story reads from start to finish like a James Bond movie. The crew of the Oregon barely has time to catch their breath before they find them selves in another battle.

Even though I didn't completely understand it all, I found Cussler's brief information on the evolution of hurricanes and the importance of ocean currents and water temperature in their development interesting. This book also offers yet more brief glimpses into the lives of the Oregon's crew. While this wasn't exactly my favorite book in the series it certainly rated very high. I recommend this series to anyone that wants a well formed and executed adventure with likable and believable characters even if they are a cross between James Band and Superman. ( )
  Carol420 | Sep 12, 2016 |
Skeleton Coast is the fourth book of the series, The Oregon Files. In this installment, the crew of The Oregon take on African rebel armies, eco terrorists, "giant snakes" and search for a cache of lost diamonds - all in a day's work. As usual, this is a fun, adrenaline-filled story with lots of high-tech weaponry and feats of derring-do.

Rating: 4 Stars. ( )
  bhabeck | Sep 10, 2016 |

Cussler, Cliveprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Du Brul, Jackmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Juan Cabrillo and the crew of the covert combat ship Oregon have barely escaped a mission on the Congo River when they intercept a mayday from a defenseless boat under fire off the African coast. Cabrillo takes action, saving the beautiful Sloane Macintyre - who's looking for a long-submerged ship that may hold a fortune in diamonds. But what surprises Cabrillo is her story about a crazy fisherman who claims to have been attacked on the open sea by giant metal snakes in the same area.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:30 -0400)

"A priceless treasure under the sea. A merciless threat on the surface. Juan Cabrillo can handle them both."--BOOK JACKET.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,685,917 books! | Top bar: Always visible