Wired by Robin Wasserman

Can we get some closure please? And maybe a less confusing ending? Possibly a bit of romance? And let's not end this trilogy like it's being followed by another book, unless you really ARE following it up with another book.

Sorry, this book really let me down.

Big Review:
Lia Kahn is a mech-- a machine with memories and feelings of the deceased Lia Kahn. 'Wired' is the third book in a trilogy that follows her, her family, and mech friends as they learn if peace can really be had between orgs and mechs.

Okay, folks, if the 2/5 star rating didn't tell you, I'm not a fan of 'Wired'. I was on board with her first two titles and typically recommend them for those looking for good sci-fi. This book, however, not so much. There are low points and very few high points in 'Wired'.

Let's start with the high points, shall we? 'Wired' showcased a lot of Zo, Lia's 'org' sister. We've seen the relationship crumble in the earlier books and it was nice to see the sisters rebuild their bonds. Their banter back and forth was cute, especially when Jude was involved.

Jude is the other high point of the novel, and for no other reason than I've always found him a bit intriguing. He's the Han Solo character who you have to root for, even if he's a scoundrel.

Now onto the shortcomings... And boy were there shortcomings! The main problem is the writing. Lia's voice has always been a bit hard to follow, but this was way worse. Conversations were hard to follow and action was just confusing. So many new plot elements were introduced, only to be left open-ended and unfinished.

Even the main story of this novel and this series was pretty poorly executed. I understand cliff hanger endings when you're reading the first or second book in a trilogy, but if you are finishing the story, never visiting that world again, why not at least resolve the main storyline? Preferably in a way that isn't completely confusing to the reader. I kid you not, I had a lot of trouble following the last few chapters. I still don't know what exactly happened to Lia. If you have any idea's, please leave them here, because I'd like to know.

This whole novel rubbed me the wrong way. I expected something that would wrap up Lia's story, but got a whole lot of crazy plot lines and no real conclusion. It felt a lot like the third book in a four book series.

I would NOT recommend this unless you have read the first two books and feel you need to finish the series. And what does that mean for me recommending the series to new readers? I don't know. Maybe I still will, maybe I won't. I really hope Wasserman is considering writing a companion following two specific characters (you'll know who if you read 'Wired') and left this book without much conclusion because of that. Even as I think about that, though, I might be hard pressed to pick up another novel in this series...

This book was just highly disappointing. ( )
  Kewpie83 | Apr 3, 2013 |
I very much enjoyed the final book in this series, I thought we got quite a bit of character development and it was nice to see some old characters returning in new ways. I also enjoyed the relationship between Lia and her sister (something that had caused both of them grief in the past). ( )
  callmecayce | Sep 29, 2011 |
Awesome conclusion to the series. I though it was genius what Robin Wasserman did with Lia in the end. I didn't see it coming, and it was very nicely done. There was plenty of Jude in this one, which was nice to read, especially as he came across as an older, softer, but definitely as likable character. Riley ... I did not see that one coming either :-) And the relationship between Lia and Zo was another amazing twist. And scores of other unexpected revelations. Highly recommended. ( )
  RamonaWray | May 2, 2011 |
A somewhat disappointing finale to this great series. Lia and the other mechs try to come up with a plan to bring down BioMax, the evil corporation that wants to create a robotic army from the brains of mechs (who used to be humans). Unfortunately, Lia and her friends really have no plan. The final victory was confusing, too; I had to read it over a couple times, and I'm still not sure I got it. I think the idea here was probably a bit better than the execution. Overall, the series is quite good, though, and I can see myself rereading them again. ( )
  jenreidreads | Feb 20, 2011 |
Wired, the final book in Robin Wasserman’s Skinned trilogy finds Lia, once again, up against BioMax. Lia, a ‘mech’, a mechanical body whose brain was downloaded from her real brain when she died in a car accident, discovers that BioMax, the company that developed the download process, has grander plans than helping accident victims. They have maintained the discarded human brains from these accident victims and are attempting to manipulate them to cultivate certain aggressive characteristics, which when downloaded into robots controlled by BioMax, would supply them with a robotic army of unlimited proportions. An added benefit would be the elimination of all mechs, which would please the orgs (humans) of the world. Along with fellow mech, Jude and orgs Auden (former friend) and Zo (Lia’s sister), this quartet must stop the demise of the mechs and proliferation of robots.

Skinned and Crashed must be read to understand Wired. Wired does not contain much action. The plot is not realistic, nor is it very interesting. Wasserman spends too much time setting the scene and reintroducing characters from the trilogy’s first two books and not enough time or energy describing the BioMax threat and the plan to defeat the corporation. The apparatus needed by the quartet to thwart BioMax’s plans seem to appear out of thin air. They basically have no plan, and much of the book is taken up with this realization. Lia’s ultimate victory over BioMax was confusing to this reader. Fans of this trilogy might be disappointed with the finale. ( )
  EdGoldberg | Oct 4, 2010 |
All moveables of wonder, from all parts,
Are here—
....
The Bust that speaks and moves its goggling eyes,
The Wax-work, Clock-work, all the marvellous craft
Of modern Merlins, Wild Beasts, Puppet-shows,
All out-o'-the-way, far-fetched, perverted things,
All freaks of nature, all Promethean thoughts
Of man, his dulness, madness, and their feats
All jumbled up together, to compose
A Parliament of Monsters....
—William Wordsworth
Humans are machines of the angels.
—Jean Paul
For my parents, Barbara and Michael Wasserman, who did everything right.
(Though I never did get a puppy.)
This is not real.

Lia is back at home, pretending to be the perfect daughter, but she has become the public face of the mechs, devoting her life to convincing the world that she and others like her deserve to exist, until shocking truths are revealed, forcing her to make a life-changing decision.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,299,678 books! | Top bar: Always visible