Fallout by Ellen Hopkins

Fallout

by Ellen Hopkins

Series: Crank (3)

The last piece in the Crank series, is written from the main character's children's point of view. It gives the reader a better understanding of what happened along the way and where the main character is now. The final book is just as intense as the previous books. Therefore, it is also not suitable for young readers, but rather older teens and adults. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 2, 2014 |
Excellent end to the Crank trilogy told from the perspective of meth user Kristina's three oldest children. It is a powerful tale of how one person's choices can profoundly alter the lives of others. ( )
  LaneLiterati | Mar 4, 2014 |
Interested in more of my reviews? Visit my blog!

The final chapter in one of the most heart wrenching trilogies/series I’ve ever read. A truly emotional read and I believe a fabulous ‘ending’ although maybe ‘wrap-up’ would be a better description as the story is far from over.

In ‘Fallout’, Ellen Hopkins has switched up the point of view and timeline of the story. Set in the future, Kristina’s youngest son Hunter who was just a toddler in last book is now 19. The story is told from Hunter’s point of view, as well as Summer and Autumn’s: both Kristina’s children. By now Kristina has yet to fully get her life back on track and has 5 children all living with other family members or in foster care.

I was a bit skeptical at this change and how well I would enjoy it after reading through Kristina’s eyes for the past books, but I was pleased at how well written it was. The multiple POV reminded me very much of Triangles; however, I had difficulty in differentiating between Summer and Autumn for at least the first half of the book.

It was extremely intense ‘experiencing’ the impact Kristina had on each of her children. It was tragic, heartbreaking, and extremely painful to read about. Was it worth it? Yes. Ellen Hopkins has yet to disappoint and I continue to be amazed at how influential and powerful her books are. ( )
  bonniemarjorie | May 7, 2013 |
In the third book loosely based on her daughter, Kristina’s, addiction to methamphetamine, Hoskins elucidates the thoughts and feelings of three of Kristina’s teenage children. In alternating chapters, Hunter, Summer and Autumn let us into their lives and tell us how “the Monster” has affected them. A couple of them even struggle with addiction themselves. Hopkins’ signature free-verse style is again evident here, but this becomes confusing, particularly when switching between narrators. It was a more effective style when the narrator was high all the time, really reflective of the disjointed thinking that happens when one is using, but with the three (mostly sober) teens, it makes them come off as more flighty and sparse than they really are. I suppose one can’t just change one’s entire writing style now, though. It was interesting to see how Kristina’s kids grew up and to find out more about what Kristina herself is up to, and I think readers would welcome more in this series. However, as these real-life kids grow up, they might not welcome their grandmother’s (though fictionalized) forays into their souls. ( )
  EmScape | Mar 19, 2013 |
You need to read the first two books in the trilogy first but I think that this is one of those books that brings you in with drama and is hard to put down. I was a bit disappointed that this book seemed a bit emptier that the first two in the trilogy as if portraying drama for drama’s sake alone.
  edspicer | Jan 5, 2013 |

Written in free verse, explores how three teenagers try to cope with the consequences of their mother's addiction to crystal meth and its effects on their lives.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,457,019 books! | Top bar: Always visible