Lanie (American Girl Today) by Jane Kurtz

Lanie (American Girl Today) (edition 2010)

by Jane Kurtz (Author)

203286,991 (3.79)1
Member:hopemcg
Title:Lanie (American Girl Today)
Authors:Jane Kurtz (Author)
Info:American Girl (2009), Edition: 1, 112 pages

Lanie (American Girl Today) by Jane Kurtz

My daughter recieved this book with her first Ameican Girl doll. She has been dreaming of this doll for quite some time because, "Lanie is like me; she likes nature."

This is the story of Lanie Holland; a Bostonian girl with outside genes. Her family members all have inside genes. Luckily Lanie's best friend, Dakota, also has outside genes and they both dram of being wildlife researchers. In this story Lanie has her eyes opened to the wilderness right in her backyard.

I particularly thought the story was a little predictable and boring, but my daughter found it interesting and inspiring. The field journal pictures included in the book inspired my daughter to begin her own nature journal and the the storyline of Dakota going to school in Inodnesia on a wildlife reserve inspired her to read a bigraphy about Jane Goodall and research chimpanzees. Furthermore she has decided that we should make another attempt at our vegtable garden and a few container plants as an experiment.

While the reading level is not high, the story may be just the inspiration your young naturalist needs to see that wildlife is all around her. It is a quick read, but one that calls to be read aloud and discussed. ( )
  Boltbabe | Jan 27, 2011 |
Lanie is determined to have Naturalist adventures like her best friend and aunt, but isn't sure how to do it from her home in Cambridge. Why can't she be in the rainforest or jungle like everyone else? She slowly realizes, however, that she can explore the local nature by learning about birds, wildlife, and plants. She starts out learning birdsong and identifying birds and planting a garden, and tries out sleeping under the stars. All the while she keeps a science journal and learns that her little sister can be a helper rather than a pest. ( )
  t1bclasslibrary | Feb 3, 2010 |

Ten-year-old Lanie of Cambridge, Massachusetts, who loves nature and the outdoors, wants to go camping with her family but her favorite aunt teaches Lanie to find the wonders of nature anywhere, even in her own backyard.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,735,457 books! | Top bar: Always visible