Opera as drama by Joseph Kerman

Opera as drama (1956)

by Joseph Kerman

USYDArtsMusicLibrary | Aug 10, 2010 |
For all that I generally agree with Mr. Kerman about most of his judgments (especially on Tosca), I've never really warmed to his special blend of pedantry and stridency. I often get the sense of someone grasping my lapels and urgently shouting into my face; I can even feel the spittle, on occasion. ( )
  jburlinson | Dec 21, 2008 |

Joseph Kermanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Glaser, MiltonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0520062744, Paperback)

"Throughout the history of opera, if not quite continuously, there have been some who have taken opera's dramatic potential seriously and others who have not. It seems to be the case that over the last thirty years Opera as Drama has helped keep the serious position alive. I hope it will continue to do so in this new edition."--From the foreword to the new edition
Passionate, witty, brilliant, Opera as Drama, although published over thirty years ago, remains one of the most controversial, thought-provoking, and entertaining works of operatic criticism ever written. For this new edition, the first since the book's original publication, the author has prepared a new foreword and provided emendations and additions that take into account some of the critical reaction to the book. He has also added a new chapter on operatic criticism. Updated yet still retaining the verve of the original, this new edition will be indispensable reading for all students and lovers of opera.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:21 -0400)

The author demonstrates the inherent and secret drama in music and shows why opera is one of the greatest forms of dramatic art.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,345,618 books! | Top bar: Always visible