The Well : David's Story by Mildred D.…

The Well : David's Story (edition 1998)

by Mildred D. Taylor

4451823,513 (4)2
Member:sbarbe6
Title:The Well : David's Story
Authors:Mildred D. Taylor
Info:Puffin (1998), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 96 pages
Collections:5th-6th Grade Readers, Historical Fiction, Chapter Books
Rating:****1/2
Tags:prejudice, racisim, pride, social status, compassion, human dignity

The Well by Mildred D. Taylor

The Well: David’s Story
By Mildred D. Taylor (1998)

I liked The Well: David’s Story by Mildred D. Taylor for two reasons. First, I liked the symbolism in the book. Specifically, the well is a reoccurring symbol in the book, and Taylor does an excellent job of emphasizing the importance of it. Basically, the well is what erupted the tension between the Logan’s and the Simms’s. Second, I liked how Taylor created an accurate picture of the racism that occurred in the early 1900’s. For example, Charlie, white, torments Hammer because he is black; thus, Taylor does not dismiss the racial tension. Overall, the “big idea” of The Well: David’s Story is to exemplify the racism that occurred in the early 1900’s, and the cruelties that existed because of it. ( )
  Mdierd1 | May 10, 2014 |
This historical fiction chapter book is an interesting and exciting read. Throughout the novel, the development of characters and exciting story line make this chapter book extremely enjoyable. The main idea of this story is to treat everyone the way you want to be treated. ( )
  arodri13 | May 7, 2014 |
I thought this was a good book for a quick read. I like that the book used real language for the time period. I liked that the book used what could be a real situation. It allowed the reader to be there in the book and visualize what that time was like. I was not very found of the book, however. The book did not draw me in enough to actually want to finish reading it and enjoying it. ( )
  BaileyR | May 1, 2014 |
I liked this book for a couple of reasons. First, I liked characters and felt that they were well developed. The first sentence of the book was Charlie Simms was always mean, and that’s the truth of it. Throughout the story, there were constant acts by Charlie Simms that showed just how mean he was. He lied on Hammer and David and caused them to get whipped and they had to work on their land for the summer. He cut up and put dead animals in the only well that everyone in the area was using causing everyone to suffer, whites and blacks. He also constantly taunted Hammer without let up. I also liked the book because it pushed it readers to think about tough issues and broadens perspectives. The book dealt with many issues such as prejudice, pride, and human dignity. Hammer’s pride wouldn't just let him let things go. After he got in trouble for beating up Charlie Simms who was a white boy, he just couldn't take the punishment and let it be. He had to do something to make him pay and Charlie’s pride wouldn't allow him to let things go either. After Hammer pushed him down, one would think that it was over and done but no he had to poison the only water well that actually had water in it. Had either one of these boys had just let it be the whole town would not have had to suffer. The big idea of this story to me is sometimes it’s just best to let things go. ( )
  vbarbe1 | Apr 14, 2014 |
I thought this was a great, thought provoking book. I liked this book because of the language and the characterization of Mama. The language of the story was a large contributor to the overall tone and emotions that were established. The author writes, " Y'all know my daddy was a white man. My sister and me, we were born slaves to him." You read the writing of the story in your head and you can almost hear the characters saying it. The language helped the reader connect to the time period and the context with which this book is written. I also loved the characterization of Mama. Mama was written as an extremely accepting and gracious woman. She wanted to share the water on her well because "the lord done blessed us with it." She didn't care if the people that came to get their water would not return the favor. Mama only cared about doing what she thought was right, and I think that is a great lesson to teach to the reader. The messages I took from this book are to be accepting of one another and to never allow someone to treat you as though you are less than them. ( )
  NikkiDahlen | Apr 8, 2014 |

During a drought, the Logan family shares their well water with all their neighbors, black and white alike. But David and Hammer find it hard to share with Charlie Simms, who torments them because they are black. Hammer's pride and Charlie's meanness are a dangerous mixture, and tensions build and build. Narrated by young David Logan, Cassie's father in Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, this extraordinary story is filled with characters and events so real that they're unforgettable.

"Taylor has used her gift for storytelling and skillful characterization to craft a brief but compelling novel about prejudice and the saving power of human dignity." -- School Library Journal, starred review

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:20 -0400)

In Mississippi in the early 1900s ten-year-old David Logan's family generously shares their well water with both white and black neighbors in an atmosphere of potential racial violence.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,545,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible