I Was Jane Austen's Best Friend by Cora…

I Was Jane Austen's Best Friend (2010)

by Cora Harrison

I absolutely adored this book, from start to finish. Pride and Prejudice is one of my favourites so I was really interested to read the author's take on young Jane. Everything about this book was just lovely... from the gorgeous cover to the writing that flowed really well. I enjoyed all the characters and really felt like I got to know them. The book was charming, witty and just fun to read. I loved the story of Jenny and Jane- they were both portrayed excellently. I was also glad to see the author's note at the end as I had definitely been wondering what was true and what the author made up, and it was nice to know.

For more of my reviews and recommendations, visit my blog: here ( )
  nicola26 | Mar 30, 2013 |
I didn't like the picture of the Austen family that this presented, so I didn't finish it. ( )
  Bduke | Oct 17, 2012 |
I found this book to be slow and the characters to be dull and not compelling. I didn't find that it resembled a Jane Austen book at all. ( )
  eheinlen | Sep 11, 2011 |
very cool :) ( )
  supersam | Aug 6, 2011 |
The story talks about Jenny Cooper, a poor orphan girl and Jane Austen’s cousin, who for a short period of time begins living with the Austen family. There, she will find out what friendship, love, and beautiful dresses are.
When I first heard about this book, I was really curious, because I’m a huge fan of Jane Austen’s novels. Especially, I was excited to meet Jane Austen as a main character of a story, instead of a writer. And I wasn’t disappointed.
The story is really sweet, sometimes a little predictable, but really nice and easy to read. Sometimes I felt I was reading a book by Jane. I really enjoyed learning more about Austen’s life, especially when she was a teenager, and learn things about her, that I didn’t know.
I highly recommend this book to all people who likes Jane Austen, and want to know more about her, and to those who enjoy fiction books with a little of truth on it. ( )
  idroskicinia | Jan 10, 2011 |
I Was Jane Austen’s Best Friend is told in the form of Jenny’s 1791 diary entries. This is slightly odd at first because Jenny does not write or speak in traditional Regency style. Her entries are formal, but use much more contemporary language (I’m sure this was done to make the story easier for young adult readers). Aside from the beginning and end of the novel, I found most of the entries pretty boring. At times, it was like reading an actual sixteen-year-old’s diary. There’s a lot of information about the Austen family (Jane’s brothers all seem to have a crush on Jenny) and much detailed gushing over balls and gowns, but not a lot actually happens. Aside from the main romance, there are some subplots with Jane’s cousin, Eliza de Feuillide, and her older brother, George, but other than that, there are quite a lot of mundane details.
added by AustenBlog | editAustenBlog, Lisa Galek (Oct 28, 2010)

When shy Jenny Cooper goes to stay with her cousin Jane Austen, she knows nothing of the world of beautiful dresses, dances, secrets, gossip, and romance that Jane inhabits. At fifteen, Jane is already a sharp observer of the customs of courtship. So when Jenny falls utterly in love with Captain Thomas Williams, who better than Jane to help her win the heart of this dashing man?

But is that even possible? After all, Jenny’s been harboring a most desperate secret. Should it become known, it would bring scandal not only to her, but also to the wonderful Austen family. What’s a poor orphan girl to do?

In this delicious dance between truth and fiction, Cora Harrison has crafted Jenny’s secret diary by reading everything Jane Austen wrote as a child and an adult, and by researching biographies, critical studies, and family letters. Jenny’s diary makes the past spring vividly to life and provides insight into the entire Austen family—especially the beloved Jane.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:15 -0400)

In a series of journal entries, Jenny Cooper describes her stay with cousin Jane Austen in the 1790s, and her entrance into Jane's world of beautiful dresses, dances, secrets, gossip, and romance.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,392,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible