The Three Weissmanns of Westport by Cathleen…

The Three Weissmanns of Westport (2010)

by Cathleen Schine

Recently added byGraceZ, private library, wired4books_Irene, cojak, JaneDutton, lyssajo, tennwisc

Take it or leave it. Too Sense and Sensibility without enough of a modern re-working; just churns along the required sequence of events. The few twists are either too bland (time and place) or too out of the blue/underdeveloped. For general Romance fans. ( )
  meganelizabeth | Nov 19, 2013 |
I really wanted to give this book 3.5 - I enjoyed it much more than I expected. It was funny and touching but nothing too heavy - a good beach read. ( )
  susan.h.schofield | Oct 7, 2013 |
It's been a long time since I've read "Sense and Sensibility" so I'm sure I missed a lot of the ways this novel is a "modernization" of it. But it really doesn't matter -- the book stands on its own. It's fun to have a "beach read" novel about middle aged women (and their mother!) It suffers, I think, from the necessity of having this family somehow survive in their economic milieu with hardly any apparent income. Interesting story, likeable characters, and enough, well, "characters" to make this an enjoyable read. ( )
  TerriBooks | Sep 27, 2013 |
The three Weissmanns of Westport are Betty, recently separated from her husband of 48 years, and her two daughters, Annie and Miranda. When Betty is kicked out of her NYC apartment, she moves to a cottage in Westport, and her daughters, who are both single, come along to take care of her. Along the way, there are relationships, flights, and lots and lots of dinners with friends and relatives. The story itself is engaging enough. It was a good summertime read. But the characters are somewhat stereotypical. I also felt like the ending tied many threads up too quickly and had one component that just wasn't necessary to the story. Still, I liked Schine's style enough that I'll be on the lookout for her new book, Fin and Lady. ( )
  porch_reader | Aug 25, 2013 |
Loved it! ( )
  midwestms | Jul 17, 2013 |
The sparkling, crisp, clever, deft, hilarious and deeply affecting new novel by Cathleen Schine, her best yet.

So many Gentle Readers wrote to us and so many Janeite acquaintances said to us, “Did you hear about this new book, The Three Weissmanns of Westport?” that we became intrigued. We did not receive a review copy, but everyone kept telling us about it and seemed surprised we had not read it, so we could not help thinking it might be a good sort of book and one that perhaps we should read in our copious free time. A while back, we noticed it on the list of NY Times Bestsellers at Kobo for a very good price, and we had a generous coupon, so decided to give it a try.

The book is a modern retelling of Sense and Sensibility. After 50 years of marriage, Joseph Weissmann tells his wife, Betty, that he wants a divorce, and that she has to vacate her beloved prewar Upper West Side apartment, which she has lovingly tended and improved since the 1950s, to make way for his new love, Felicity. Fanny Dashwood-like, Felicity has convinced Joseph that by kicking Betty out of her home, he is actually being generous, and Joseph very much wants to be generous.

To the indelible memory of

Bertha Ehrenwerth

The fruit does not fall far from the tree
When Joseph Weissmann divorced his wife, he was seventy-eight years old and she was seventy-five.
It must be a burden to be so critical and so considerate at the same time."
To love enough and be loved enough, to love and be loved in such quantities, such abundance that you could squander whole nights in simple companionship - that was a richness she could hardly fathom.
Sometimes her life struck her as a mistake, not in a big, violent way, but as a simple error, as if she had thought she was supposed to bear left at an intersection when she should have taken a sharp left, and had drifted slowly, gradually, into the wrong town, the wrong state, the wrong country...
It began to rain, hard. Perhaps she would catch pneumonia and die. That would be very Romantic.

Jane Austen’s beloved Sense and Sensibility has moved to Westport, Connecticut, in this enchanting modern-day homage to the classic novel

When Joseph Weissmann divorced his wife, he was seventy eight years old and she was seventy-five . . . He said the words “Irreconcilable differences,” and saw real confusion in his wife’s eyes.

“Irreconcilable differences?” she said. “Of course there are irreconcilable differences. What on earth does that have to do with divorce?”

Thus begins The Three Weissmanns of Westport, a sparkling contemporary adaptation of Sense and Sensibility from the always winning Cathleen Schine, who has already been crowned “a modern-day Jewish Jane Austen” by People’s Leah Rozen.

In Schine’s story, sisters Miranda, an impulsive but successful literary agent, and Annie, a pragmatic library director, quite unexpectedly find themselves the middle-aged products of a broken home. Dumped by her husband of nearly fifty years and then exiled from their elegant New York apartment by his mistress, Betty is forced to move to a small, run-down Westport, Connecticut, beach cottage. Joining her are Miranda and Annie, who dutifully comes along to keep an eye on her capricious mother and sister. As the sisters mingle with the suburban aristocracy, love starts to blossom for both of them, and they find themselves struggling with the dueling demands of reason and romance.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:26 -0400)

Betty Weissman loses her elegant New York apartment when her husband of nearly fifty years divorces her for what he says are irreconcilable differences, but is in actuality another woman. She and her two grown daughters who quite unexpectedly find themselves the middle-aged products of a broken home and whose own lives are in varying states of disrepair and confusion regroup in a small, run-down Westport, Connecticut, beach cottage. As they wrestle with economic hard times, love starts to blossom for both sisters, and they find themselves struggling with the dueling demands of reason and romance.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,648,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible