Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre

Nausea (original 1938; edition 2007)

by Jean-Paul Sartre, Richard Howard (Introduction), Lloyd Alexander (Translator)

Member:Arcelinda
Title:Nausea
Authors:Jean-Paul Sartre
Other authors:Richard Howard (Introduction), Lloyd Alexander (Translator)
Info:New Directions (2007), Paperback, 192 pages

Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre (1938)

The Words by Jean-Paul Sartre (John_Vaughan, John_Vaughan)
    Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky (shadowclast)
    shadowclast: Perhaps an obvious connection, but one that I nevertheless could not fail to return to again and again throughout my reading of Nausea. Is Antoine a man underground?
    Homo Faber by Max Frisch (thecoroner)
    The Moviegoer by Walker Percy (erezv)
    The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge by Rainer Maria Rilke (roby72)
    The Stranger by Albert Camus (roby72)
    The Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley (kaityjames)
    kaityjames: Huxley views art as a pale imitation of objects as they ARE; Sartre finds existence disgusting and obscene, and art as a beautiful form above and beyond reality. Definitely compatible if you can dig Sartre's dark, existential language.
    Les Mains Sales de Jean-Paul Sartre by Marc Buffat (John_Vaughan)
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (SamuelW)
    SamuelW: Although The Remains of the Day has none of Nausea's philosophical depth, there are close similarities in theme, plot and technique which make the two books a remarkable pair.
    The Passion According to G.H. by Clarice Lispector (Mouseear)
    Journey to the End of the Night by Louis-Ferdinand Céline (thecoroner)
    Dead Certainties : Unwarranted Speculations by Simon Schama (Sea92)
    Sea92: Nausea is more of a philosophical work, but both authors explore chasm between the reality of the past and history as it is written. These are issues that historians must deal with.

English (29)  Italian (4)  Swedish (2)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  English (1)  All languages (40)
Nausea is Sartre's first novel, and is presented in the form of a sporadically-kept diary of a Frenchman called Antoine living in a provincial sea-side town. Antoine is independent financially, and is studying the life of a particular obscure historical figure to keep himself occupied. Between doing this, he visits cafes and the library, spends time in his room, and wanders around the town.
It is a very different novel to other existentialist works such as those of Camus and Kafka, though there is also much that the works have in common – not least the quality, and the sense of estrangement from the world.
Nausea is a much more accessible work than Sartre's Being and Nothingness, and brings in the existentialist philosophy as much by evocation of existentialist feeling than by overt philosophising.
The Nausea of the title refers less to the sense of diziness described by other existentialists as a response the overwhelming freedom we are faced with, but more as a psychological unbalance brought on not by intellectual causes but by feelings of social isolation, bodily dissociation, and alienation from the reality around – of the inauthenticity of objects, situations, and people. Thus we have nausea in this case as a symptom as it is felt by the schizophrenic for example.
Among all this, there are a few thoughts on politics and society, and sections of interest for their view on French culture and life from the time it was written.
I would recommend this to anyone interested in existentialist novels, not only for the differences in Sartre's take on existentialism compared to the other writers, but for this works high literary standard and other incidental points of interest. Nausea would also make a good introduction to this genre of novel, and a more accessible work than his non-fiction works, for those interested in reading Sartre. ( )
1 vote P_S_Patrick | Apr 30, 2016 |
Very weird, but in a good way. Presents some very interesting ideas, and it was far more accessible as a novel than I thought it would be, what with it being a philosophical novel on existentialism. It makes me want to read more of Sartre's work. ( )
  hickey92 | Jan 24, 2016 |
It bothers me how much I identified with Roquentin. Also, "I suppose it is out of laziness that the world is the same day after day." ( )
  trilliams | May 30, 2015 |
În fața Absurdului și a lipsei de semnificație a lumii nu prea simt Greață ci doar înstrăinare. ( )
  mariusgm | Sep 12, 2014 |
Sartre's name, I understand, is associated with a fashionable brand of cafe philosophy and since for every so-called "existentialist" one finds quite a few "suctorialists" (if I may coin a polite term), this made-in- England translation of Sartre's first novel, "La Nausée" (published in Paris in 1938) should enjoy some success. It is hard to imagine except in a farce) a dentist persistently pulling out the wrong tooth. Publishers and translators, however, seem to get away with something of that sort. Lack of space limits me to only these examples of Mr. Alexander's blunders.

Jean-Paul Sartreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carruth, HaydenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Caruso, PaoloContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fonzi, BrunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mannerkorpi, JuhaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'He is a fellow without any collective significance, barely an individual.'
L. F. Céline, The Church
TO THE BEAVER
These notebooks were found among the papers of Antoine Roquentin. ("Editors' Note")
The best thing would be to write down events from day to day.
"I live in the past. I take everything that has happened to me and arrange it. From a distance like that, it doesn't do any harm, you'd almost let yourself be caught in it. Our whole story is fairly beautiful. I give it a few prods and it makes a whole string of perfect moments. Then I close my eyes and try to imagine that I'm still living inside it."

Dopo aver viaggiato a lungo, Antoine Roquentin si stabilisce a Bouville, in uno squallido albergo vicino alla stazione, per scrivere una tesi di dottorato in storia. La sera, si siede al tavolo di un bistrot ad ascoltare un disco, sempre lo stesso: Some of These Days. La sua vita ormai non ha piú senso: il passato è abitato da Anny, mentre il presente è sempre piú sommerso da una sensazione dolce e orribile, insinuante, che ha nome Nausea. Un romanzo trasgressivo e ricchissimo, sempre attuale, che ci restituisce il disagio del mondo in agonia alla vigilia della Seconda guerra mondiale. Il libro piú libero di Sartre, il piú disinteressato e il piú appassionato insieme.
(piopas)

The classic Existentialist novel, with a new introduction by renowned poet, translator, and critic Richard Howard.

Winner of the 1964 Nobel Prize for Literature, Jean-Paul Sartre, French philosopher, critic, novelist, and dramatist, holds a position of singular eminence in the world of letters. Among readers and critics familiar with the whole of Sartre's work, it is generally recognized that his earliest novel, La Nausée (first published in 1938), is his finest and most significant. It is unquestionably a key novel of the twentieth century and a landmark in Existentialist fiction.

Nausea is the story of Antoine Roquentin, a French writer who is horrified at his own existence. In impressionistic, diary form he ruthlessly catalogues his every feeling and sensation. His thoughts culminate in a pervasive, overpowering feeling of nausea which "spreads at the bottom of the viscous puddle, at the bottom of our time—the time of purple suspenders and broken chair seats; it is made of wide, soft instants, spreading at the edge, like an oil stain." Roquentin's efforts to come to terms with life, his philosophical and psychological struggles, give Sartre the opportunity to dramatize the tenets of his Existentialist creed.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:34 -0400)

French writer who is horrified at his own existence. In impressionistic, diary form he ruthlessly catalogues his every feeling and sensation. His thoughts culminate in a pervasive, overpowering feeling of nausea which "spreads at the bottom of the viscous puddle, at the bottom of our time the time of purple suspenders and broken chair seats. Roquentin's efforts to come to terms with life, his philosophical and psychological struggles, give Sartre the opportunity to dramatize the tenets of his Existentialist creed.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118549X, 0141194847

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,903,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible